[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

11 hours ago, sDaZe said:

Is this supposed to happen? The sunset line even though land is in the way? 

YL4YTIT.jpg

This is on Titan. 

Yes, unfortunately, this is more complicated to do than it looks.

Edited by blackrack

I need some help with Scatterer,

I had KSP standard with no mods, I downloaded Scatterer from Spacedock, placed it into my gamedata folder, loaded up KSP and found the water is pixelated, and there is no signs of Scatterer's effects. What do I do in this instance? There is a Scatterer popup box that comes up when I load up the game. Do I need to adjust the settings? Tell me what numbers I can put in so Scatterer can take effect. If there is another method, let me know, I am learning what modding is, and I want my mods to work properly. Im on a Mac. 

I have KSP 1.1.2.

I make sure the mods are up to date with my game version.

Edited by KERBALINA

On 5/8/2016 at 9:18 AM, Steveo said:

I had same issue with those mods and a few others today, just remove the mod and then reinstall the new one. Mine worked fine after doing that using CKAN also. Hope this helps

Gah!  I've had this for a while now and never looked to see if there was a fix.  :-(   Works perfectly.  Thanks

6 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I'm getting weird shadow banding when looking at non atmospheric bodies close up. Which setting should I be messing with to try to fix this, terrain shadows?

I have the same issue.

6 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I'm getting weird shadow banding when looking at non atmospheric bodies close up. Which setting should I be messing with to try to fix this, terrain shadows?

npZF94H.jpg

2 minutes ago, Galenmacil said:

I have the same issue.

Yeah turn off terrain shadows

On 4.6.2016 at 4:48 PM, oniontrain said:

20 hours ago, Galenmacil said:

I have the same issue.

You might want to slightly raise shadow bias and/or shadow normal bias in the scatterer settings on start screen. Be aware that these are tradeoffs, you might get the terrain shadow look just fine under all conditions, but then see kerbals on eva seeming to "float" over the ground because the shadow is offset and not "attached" to the kerbal's feet. I think blackrack also posted a link to the unity docs, regarding this topic. Can't find the actual post, but here is the link: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ShadowOverview.html

Edit: After some extra fiddling I found out that  (on my install/system) ramping up these values does not solve it without messing all other shadows up, and lowering them makes it worse. Lowering KSP's shadow cascades setting helps a little, but affects the quality of all other shadows, too.

Edited by plonk
correction

I know the disclaimer says it might not work with rescale mods.... But i'm having problems with both the normal scatterer sunflare, the astroniki sunflare, and the eden sunflare with KScale64 (which uses Sigma Dimensions). Any known fix?  Please help...

Normal scatterer sunflare:

pjcZM.png

Astroniki Sunflare:

pjd58.png

Edited by N70

I tried to make settings for some planetpacks. I don't understand coloring the atmospheres. As I understand BETA_MSca, m_betaR and m_mieG supposed to control recoloring the atmos. What does this parameters mean? I cannot change it in the game and it's too boring to restart game every time for researching

18 hours ago, N70 said:

I know the disclaimer says it might not work with rescale mods blah blah blah.... But i'm having problems with both the normal scatterer sunflare, the astroniki sunflare, and the eden sunflare with KScale64 (which uses Sigma Dimensions). Any known fix?  

Pretty sure noone, especially the OP, wants to help you after ur "blablahing" the Disclaimer... and still ignoring it.

Though (in your case "VERY") kindly asking might help.

nevertheless...  nah.. not worth it.

Edited by Speadge

5 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

I tried to make settings for some planetpacks. I don't understand coloring the atmospheres. As I understand BETA_MSca, m_betaR and m_mieG supposed to control recoloring the atmos. What does this parameters mean? I cannot change it in the game and it's too boring to restart game every time for researching

For my RSS configs I downloaded the "configtool" from the original post where you enter those values, then export them and drop them into the according planet folder inside scatterer. Worked 100% everytime - but I don't know it it's still the way to go. As I didn't find anything else I do think so. The atmo colors are then saved into these files. Once you loaded them inside the game for the first time the new "xxx.half" files are created for faster loading and the original ones can be deleted.

4 hours ago, Speadge said:

Pretty sure noone, especially the OP, wants to help you after ur "blablahing" the Disclaimer... and still ignoring it.

Though (in your case "VERY") kindly asking might help.

nevertheless...  nah.. not worth it.

Sorry, I got rid of the blah blah blah... My mistake. Honestly, I don't understand much about what is rude and what is not sometimes.

On 6/5/2016 at 6:36 AM, plonk said:

You might want to slightly raise shadow bias and/or shadow normal bias in the scatterer settings on start screen. Be aware that these are tradeoffs, you might get the terrain shadow look just fine under all conditions, but then see kerbals on eva seeming to "float" over the ground because the shadow is offset and not "attached" to the kerbal's feet. I think blackrack also posted a link to the unity docs, regarding this topic. Can't find the actual post, but here is the link: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ShadowOverview.html

Edit: After some extra fiddling I found out that  (on my install/system) ramping up these values does not solve it without messing all other shadows up, and lowering them makes it worse. Lowering KSP's shadow cascades setting helps a little, but affects the quality of all other shadows, too.

Hmm, I'm already getting disconnected shadows, so this likely needs adjusting anyway. I haven't actually changed any settings (to my knowledge), though. I will try a delete/reinstall, that should set everything back to the defaults. If that doesn't work I'll see if messing with shadow bias fixes it.

@N70for future reference:

On 4/12/2015 at 11:37 AM, blackrack said:

The sun flare is tailored for the stock system but resizing it for RSS is easy, Just replace these lines flaresSettings andspikesSettings in the sunflare.cfg file with this

//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.085

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,0.1

The last two values are adjusting the size of the flare and the flare "spikes" (godrays) respectively. For bigger solar system scales these values should be decreased. For example: stock needs "0.85" and "1.0" but with RSS (approximately scaled 10 times over stock) it needs "0.085" and "0.1" (a factor of 10 to both values). For 6.4 rescales you can interpolate the values and you get:

flareSettings = 0.45, 1.0, 0.132

spikesSettings = 0.6, 1.0, 0.156

Edited by Phineas Freak
Values

Some progress on planetshine, light now affects terrain and ship and not just atmosphere and oceans (what I showed last time). Light is a point light with a cubemap "cookie" which controls light intensity in all directions, I found this works better than spotlights. It also works in space and affects all planets. Color and intensity to be tweaked later.

19 hours ago, colmo said:

I once asked if tides could be simulated - instead of a sphere, the ocean could be lens shaped and rotate synchronously with the Mün.

Could Proland manage this?

It could but I definitely don't want to be the one who implements this, my head still hurts when I think about the last time I modified the ocean math.

Edited by blackrack

Could albedo intensity possibly be controlled by a slider or an input value 0-1 etc. for the planet shine feature? I appreciate that is probably would be this bright and intense in the KSP system as the bodies are so close to each other but it comes off a little strong.

If we could adjust it on the fly by a scalar the end user could decide on the effect's intensity.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

This is really really great.  I am super excited.  Am I going to have to re-do my current scatterer configs or will I just have to adjust the planetshine values? 

Edited by Berlin

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Some progress on planetshine, light now affects terrain and ship and not just atmosphere and oceans (what I showed last time). Light is a point light with a cubemap "cookie" which controls light intensity in all directions, I found this works better than spotlights. It also works in space and affects all planets. Color and intensity to be tweaked later.

Holy Cow this Look amazing nice work. my only Concern is Performance hit.is This going to melt my graphic card ?