[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I was having the minor flickering issues scatterer causes on some systems and I noticed that setting vsync to adaptive in the (nvidia) graphics control panel seems to have fixed it.

can't guarantee that it will work for others but it's worth a try for anyone having that issue.

P.S. couple of pics you may like

Spoiler

zyypcSb.png

cDVQtkd.png

Edited by MartGonzo

4 hours ago, MartGonzo said:

I was having the minor flickering issues scatterer causes on some systems and I noticed that setting vsync to adaptive in the (nvidia) graphics control panel seems to have fixed it.

can't guarantee that it will work for others but it's worth a try for anyone having that issue.

P.S. couple of pics you may like

Hide contents

zyypcSb.png

cDVQtkd.png

Hey what mod causes the particles on reentry? That looks pretty stinken cool!

Hey @blackrack I hope you didn't spend too much time looking for the white kerbin bug.  I feel bad for pointing the finger your way.  I'll be posting what I did to fix it in the kopernicus thread so others don't have the same issue. Hopefully that keeps a few people out of your hair.  Have a good one! 

Thats pretty cool, you've erected a planetary energy shield? :P

I've added a planet, and I just copied and pasted kerbin's satterer configs... or laythe's scatterer configs, or Duna's... I can't figure out what is causing this:

zPr4hTD.png

It seems to come and go...  I can't really figure out why, but outside of mapview, once I get low enough, it goes away.

Not oversaturated:

dGXk4gf.png

way oversaturated:

IALGrhG.png

What variables should I be changing here?

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

I've added a planet, and I just copied and pasted kerbin's satterer configs... or laythe's scatterer configs, or Duna's... I can't figure out what is causing this:

zPr4hTD.png

It seems to come and go...  I can't really figure out why, but outside of mapview, once I get low enough, it goes away.

In all of your planet cfgs for kopernicus, add this

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	useOnDemand = false  <<---add this little bit to every cfg or if you have only one kopernicus cfg for all of your planets just add it to the top like you see here

also I would recommend, if you have it in your cfg's to delete this little bit

cacheFile = whatevermodyouhave/Cache/Kerbin.bin

Delete the cacheFile for each body

this is how I got Stock visual terrain to stop having the white kerbin effect.

Edited by Galileo

On 8/21/2016 at 7:02 PM, Galileo said:

Hey @blackrack I hope you didn't spend too much time looking for the white kerbin bug.  I feel bad for pointing the finger your way.  I'll be posting what I did to fix it in the kopernicus thread so others don't have the same issue. Hopefully that keeps a few people out of your hair.  Have a good one! 

Ah that's great. I personally didn't have any free time to look into anything, I made some progress today on the scattering integration for EVE clouds, it's coming along nicely but there are still problems to solve and things to figure out. I'm planning to release it together with planetshine.

At this point it's starting to get really crazy how many features I think about and want to do VS how much time I actually have to do them. These past days I've been thinking about how to get the game's shaders working in deferred rendering mode so I can try this sweet real-time global illumination technique (which a variation of can be seen in action here, for those who don't know, sonicEther actually implemented this for minecraft a while ago http://i.imgur.com/qzkObRF.jpg and then built a stand-alone unity package on it which looks really good I think http://www.sonicether.com/segi/, try out the free demos, they're awesome).

1 hour ago, justspace103 said:

how can i fix scatterer from doing this:

Try a different video mode, e.g dx11 or opengl.

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Not oversaturated:

way oversaturated:

What variables should I be changing here?

It might be related to kopernicus and the "white kerbin" bug, ask @Galileo how he fixed. Other than that you might have a duplicate scatterer install, duplicate config entry for the same planet or an old EVE version but all of these I find unlikely.

17 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

My sunflare will not replace the stock sunflare!!!

Is that suppose to happen?

Are you using any other mods? Check without them.

Edited by blackrack

41 minutes ago, Galileo said:

In all of your planet cfgs for kopernicus, add this

{
	useOnDemand = false  <<---add this little bit to every cfg or if you have only one kopernicus cfg for all of your planets just add it to the top like you see here

also I would recommend, if you have it in your cfg's to delete this little bit

cacheFile = whatevermodyouhave/Cache/Kerbin.bin

Delete the cacheFile for each body

this is how I got Stock visual terrain to stop having the white kerbin effect.

Thanks, but for my own understanding, can you tell me what exactly that does? what is useOnDemand, and why do we want it to be false?

If this is in the .cfg file, will it cause any problems on a computer which doesn't have scatterer installed?

I don't have anything about a cache in there, but it is using a template... might the cache be brought up through the template?

What I have:

{  
    Body
    {
        name = Rald
        flightGlobalsIndex = 199
    Template
        {
                name = Laythe
        removeOcean = true
                removePQSMods = PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha, PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise, PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightMap, PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

What I should change it to, correct?

{  

useOnDemand = false
    Body
    {
        name = Rald
        flightGlobalsIndex = 199
    Template
        {
                name = Laythe
        removeOcean = true
                removePQSMods = PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha, PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise, PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightMap, PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

and thats it?

Edited by KerikBalm

no it wont cause a problem in your computer. you can still put this in your cfg and run the mod perfectly with or without scatterer

load on demand causes each planet texture to be loaded as needed. setting it to false will load all textures at the beginning of the game. the reason your textures are turning white is because scatterer and kopernicus both call on the normal maps at the same time if I'm not mistaken. setting it to false fixes the issue because it gets kopernicus out of the way allowing for scatterer to be the only thing calling on those textures.

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Thanks, but for my own understanding, can you tell me what exactly that does? what is useOnDemand, and why do we want it to be false?

If this is in the .cfg file, will it cause any problems on a computer which doesn't have scatterer installed?

I don't have anything about a cache in there, but it is using a template... might the cache be brought up through the template?

What I have:

What I should change it to, correct?

and thats it?

Yeah thats it if that is your only planet. If you don't have the cache then forget what I said about it.  Everything looks good though.  

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Well its my only planet with a scatterer config that I added. I also have OPM planets, and 2 "asteroids" orbiting about where dres is based on Vesta and Pallas.

Go into the kopernicus cfgs for every single planet and asteroid and add it.  Even the sun

went back to page 180 looking for images similar to this issue I'm seeing, also checked known issues. Here's what I'm seeing at KSC looking east at sunrise:

1QTGAYGl.png

Looks nice, no trouble here. Now I reposition myself halfway around Kerbin (to see Minmus transit Kerbol). I'm at the capsule on the left:

OgB1LETl.png

here's what I see looking east at sunrise:

5Bu0S0hl.png

and then later on during the day:

giw2QNOl.png

This is with the configs the ship with Scatterer, with godrays and terrain shadows disabled. I tried rebuilding the ocean and doing other things I recalled reading about for various issues around here. I took out EVE as well. I tried switching to @Galileo's configs from SVE but the issue persisted there as well. Going up to 67m like at KSC doesn't help, although the effect softens noticeably around 300m up.

13 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

went back to page 180 looking for images similar to this issue I'm seeing, also checked known issues. Here's what I'm seeing at KSC looking east at sunrise:

Looks nice, no trouble here. Now I reposition myself halfway around Kerbin (to see Minmus transit Kerbol). I'm at the capsule on the left:

This is with the configs the ship with Scatterer, with godrays and terrain shadows disabled. I tried rebuilding the ocean and doing other things I recalled reading about for various issues around here. I took out EVE as well. I tried switching to @Galileo's configs from SVE but the issue persisted there as well. Going up to 67m like at KSC doesn't help, although the effect softens noticeably around 300m up.

its just a scatterer issue iirc. Not a bug but just something that isnt set right in the settings. I planned on figuring it out but i just keep forgetting to.

Edited by Galileo

21 hours ago, Galileo said:

its just a scatterer issue iirc. Not a bug but just something that isnt set right in the settings. I planned on figuring it out but i just keep forgetting to.

22 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

The "experimental viewdir offset" setting in the configpoints was supposed to fix this but I didn't test very well and once you reload the effects or go to the other side of the planet it messes up. You can try to fix it by making the values negative or changing them but it's unstable. I will get back to it at some point.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

The "experimental viewdir offset" setting in the configpoints was supposed to fix this but I didn't test very well and once you reload the effects or go to the other side of the planet it messes up. You can try to fix it by making the values negative or changing them but it's unstable. I will get back to it at some point.

Hey,  no rush!  Especially with 1.2 around the corner. 

Just now, SmashingKirby148 said:

Hey Blackrack! I have this issue where multiple sunflares are loading. I have the Eden sunflare (can't remember exactly what it's called) but when ever I look at the sun, it seems to be loading that sunflare and the stock KSP one. Any way to fix this? Thanks! :D

Are you running kopernicus by chance? 

1 minute ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Yes. I have it because I am using OPM too. Is that the issue I'm guessing? :P

Yeah if you download Stock visual terrain you can copy and paste my sun cfg into the one included with opm. It will fix the issue