[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 hours ago, sijb777 said:

Having this weird problem, took screenshots with quite a few mods installed but just tested and seems to be occurring with only scatterer installed too. :/ 

Q4oCD6a.jpg

KlwOP4z.jpg

Turn off the terrain shadows in the main menu scatterer window to fix the issue in your second screenshot. 

The first screenshot is a known thing around here. Just do a scene change (enter the VAB and exit) and that normally fixes it, not permanently, but that’s how to get rid of it most of the time.

58 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Turn off the terrain shadows in the main menu scatterer window to fix the issue in your second screenshot. 

The first screenshot is a known thing around here. Just do a scene change (enter the VAB and exit) and that normally fixes it, not permanently, but that’s how to get rid of it most of the time.

Thanks, turning off the shadows did fix it, but is there any way to fix it and have terrain shadows?

Yeah, after doing a scene change it almost fixes it but there is still a jagged line at the horizon. :/ 

19 minutes ago, sijb777 said:

Thanks, turning off the shadows did fix it, but is there any way to fix it and have terrain shadows?

Yeah, after doing a scene change it almost fixes it but there is still a jagged line at the horizon. :/ 

There are settings you can tweak but ultimately you aren’t going to get rid of the shadow artifacts. 

As for the jaggies on the horizon, that’s about as good as it gets for now.

Edited by Galileo

On 2/19/2018 at 11:49 PM, seacorb said:

KSP: 1.3.0 Windows 64bit

Problem: Missing Ocean on Kerbin and I imagine any planets with water (see below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uy8pkynq7j7tbhl/screenshot1.png?dl=0

Mods installed:

Scatterer

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 

SVT

[x] Science!

Chatterer

DistantObject

KerbalEngineer

Kopernicus

MechJeb2

ModularFlightIntegrator

PlanetShine-0.2.5.2

SmokeScreen

StockVisualEnhancements

WarpUnlocker

WaypointManager

Reproduction steps:

Static issue with shader enabled. Turning shader off returns the water, albeit ugly water :( I remember the shader working back when I used to play 1.1 (whatever version scatterer was then)

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1km4l6dc7n9y98/output_log.txt?dl=0

Did you update scatterer and the rest of your mods when you updated your game?

Try a fresh install with scatterer and no other mods and start adding back mods until you find your issue.

7 hours ago, sijb777 said:

The jagged line is there because of how the ocean"s projected grid works, I may be able to fix it in the future by switching to a tesselated mesh instead.

For the shadows, the effect is called shadow acne. First try changing your renderer (try directx11 or opengl), try changing the number of shadow cascades you have, then try playing with the shadow bias settings from scatterer, their effect is described here:  https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ShadowOverview.html

The settings I include by default fix shadow acne for me, but I don't know what changes exactly and why it's different for some people.

I have the latest version of Scatterer (0.0324) and it appears to have sorting issues with Laythe and Jool.

7BF57ar.png

Looking at the release notes, there seemed to be an issue with this that was fixed back in v0.0234 (Fixed draw order issue where clouds on Jool render over Laythe's sky.)

I gave the past couple of months in the thread to see if this was a known issues, but didn't see any posts related to it.

I'm running KSP 1.3.1 with SVE (v1.2.8.0) and EVE (v1.2.2.1) addons.

If there's any other useful infomation I can provide let me know.

I've got a bunch of brave adventurers headed for Laythe to set up a colony, but now they're all crying they won't be able to send pretty Jool rise pictures to the folks back home.

KSP: 1.3.0.1804 Windows 64bit

Problem: Postprocessing looks like blue tinted smog diffusing any crispness of landscape. All I did was install and disable godray. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Demo video

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0320b

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 1.2.2-1

Distant Object Enhancement 1.9.1

non-conflicting mods probably: Science!, Chatterer, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer, StageRecovery.

Reproduction steps:

Exited game and re-checked twice.

Log:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/6943e49a75c0ee858afda8470ae4f761/raw/a3b71a147d82cfc96c9c3db0c7088551eb399968/log

I just upgraded Stock Visual Enhancements to the latest versions, including Scatterer 0.0324. I'm seeing the same missing terrain bug that was fixed in Scatterer a few months back. It occurred both on Eve and on Laythe. Anyone else having this problem?

2 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I just upgraded Stock Visual Enhancements to the latest versions, including Scatterer 0.0324. I'm seeing the same missing terrain bug that was fixed in Scatterer a few months back. It occurred both on Eve and on Laythe. Anyone else having this problem?

I have been updating some things in SVE lately, and have been in game for hours and hours and have not seen it in this latest version. 

On 3/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, kerbini said:
KSP: 1.3.0.1804 Windows 64bit

Problem: Postprocessing looks like blue tinted smog diffusing any crispness of landscape. All I did was install and disable godray. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Demo video

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0320b

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 1.2.2-1

Distant Object Enhancement 1.9.1

non-conflicting mods probably: Science!, Chatterer, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer, StageRecovery.

Reproduction steps:

Exited game and re-checked twice.

Log:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/6943e49a75c0ee858afda8470ae4f761/raw/a3b71a147d82cfc96c9c3db0c7088551eb399968/log

I don't see anything wrong here.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:03 PM, Brikoleur said:

The flying tiles? This was fixed a while back and I have never encountered it or had a report about it since.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, purpleivan said:

I have the latest version of Scatterer (0.0324) and it appears to have sorting issues with Laythe and Jool.

Looking at the release notes, there seemed to be an issue with this that was fixed back in v0.0234 (Fixed draw order issue where clouds on Jool render over Laythe's sky.)

I gave the past couple of months in the thread to see if this was a known issues, but didn't see any posts related to it.

I'm running KSP 1.3.1 with SVE (v1.2.8.0) and EVE (v1.2.2.1) addons.

If there's any other useful infomation I can provide let me know.

I've got a bunch of brave adventurers headed for Laythe to set up a colony, but now they're all crying they won't be able to send pretty Jool rise pictures to the folks back home.

This is broken in the latest version, I will fix it when I can.

@blackrack I've been playing this with sigma dimensions, but then I found out the depth scatter effects are to the proportion of the planet's radius (~13 km : 600 km = 0.0217) , which means that if I edit Kerbin 10 times bigger in radius, the scatter is also gonna be 10 times deeper (0.0217 * 6 000 km). So the sky is blue even at 100 km altitude! Is there a config or something that controls how deep the scatter effects are so that maybe I can tweak it a bit till it looks realistic enough?

16 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

@blackrack I've been playing this with sigma dimensions, but then I found out the depth scatter effects are to the proportion of the planet's radius (~13 km : 600 km = 0.0217) , which means that if I edit Kerbin 10 times bigger in radius, the scatter is also gonna be 10 times deeper (0.0217 * 6 000 km). So the sky is blue even at 100 km altitude! Is there a config or something that controls how deep the scatter effects are so that maybe I can tweak it a bit till it looks realistic enough?

10 times bigger kerbin radius is exactly the radius of the earth. Change experimentalAtmoScale from 2 to 1 and you will have the original atmosphere depth of the earth config, that should work really well.

Edited by blackrack

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

10 times bigger kerbin radius is exactly the radius of the earth. Change experimentalAtmoScale from 2 to 1 and you will have the original atmosphere depth of the earth config, that should work really well.

Where is the experimentalAtmoScale supposed to be?

Oh I found it, but does it mean that I have to change it in EVERY SINGLE object that has an atmosphere? Because I changed the whole thing 10 times bigger, including the Extrasolar objects and OPMs.

But honestly I don't know how experimentalAtmoScale works, what does the "3" in Jool's config, "1.5" in Laythe's config, and "2" in Kerbin's config actually mean?

1 hour ago, hanhan658 said:

Where is the experimentalAtmoScale supposed to be?

Oh I found it, but does it mean that I have to change it in EVERY SINGLE object that has an atmosphere? Because I changed the whole thing 10 times bigger, including the Extrasolar objects and OPMs.

But honestly I don't know how experimentalAtmoScale works, what does the "3" in Jool's config, "1.5" in Laythe's config, and "2" in Kerbin's config actually mean?

Change it to taste, a value of 2 means the atmosphere becomes 2xhigher, altitude-wise.

18 hours ago, blackrack said:

Change it to taste, a value of 2 means the atmosphere becomes 2xhigher, altitude-wise.

But the scatter effects goes all the way up to 200 km. I don't think halving it will make it more realistic, what if I set experimentalAtmoScale to 0.2 (20 km) like it's supposed to be on Earth? Because other planets has very strange values such as "1.5" or "3" that I don't know what value I'm supposed to change these to to make their atmosphere size look realistic.

@blackrack I have released a mod that provides a stock alike alternative to your ocean shader. It's for those who experience a performance hit with scatterers shaders. Scatterer is by far superior, but its a nice alternative I find. I only have a single issue, though. My mod disables Scatterer's shader, and while everything looks right above the ocean surface, Scatterer seems to disable the "fog" or underwater effect of the stock game. I hope there is a simple solution for this. Here are some images to better explain my problem:

Spoiler

4TYA6AL.png?1
fC0NaWh.png?1
XZQa8bd.png?1

and here is a link to the mod, if you want to check it out.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, hanhan658 said:

But the scatter effects goes all the way up to 200 km. I don't think halving it will make it more realistic, what if I set experimentalAtmoScale to 0.2 (20 km) like it's supposed to be on Earth? Because other planets has very strange values such as "1.5" or "3" that I don't know what value I'm supposed to change these to to make their atmosphere size look realistic.

Just try the value I suggested and see if it looks better, you can change it all in-game, alt+f10/f11 for the menu.

20 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@blackrack I have released a mod that provides a stock alike alternative to your ocean shader. It's for those who experience a performance hit with scatterers shaders. Scatterer is by far superior, but its a nice alternative I find. I only have a single issue, though. My mod disables Scatterer's shader, and while everything looks right above the ocean surface, Scatterer seems to disable the "fog" or underwater effect of the stock game. I hope there is a simple solution for this. Here are some images to better explain my problem:

Reveal hidden contents

4TYA6AL.png?1
fC0NaWh.png?1
XZQa8bd.png?1

and here is a link to the mod, if you want to check it out.

Does your mod just change the shader for the stock ocean or it's config? Or do you do more?

Anyway, I assume you're disabling the scatterer ocean with a moduleManager patch? In any case I can make the underwater effects independant from the ocean shader, that should be good.

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Does your mod just change the shader for the stock ocean or it's config? Or do you do more?

Anyway, I assume you're disabling the scatterer ocean with a moduleManager patch? In any case I can make the underwater effects independant from the ocean shader, that should be good.

I didn’t change a thing except textures and colors in Kopernicus. I just put a little more effort forth than Squad did lol. And yeah, I disable scatterers ocean shaders with a MM cfg. If you could do that, that would be great! Thanks!

@blackrack I tried to edit the atmosphere height in-game and yes, I got much more control of how high the atmosphere should be. But I'd have to Save Atmo, and under it is a box named cfg file used and in the box there's written "gamedata/scatterer/configs/planets/Laythe/atmo" on every single planet atmosphere I encounter. Why Laythe tho? Does it mean that the save is gonna take place in Laythe's config?

And also I don't know what "load Atmo" means in the dialog box.

5 minutes ago, hanhan658 said:

@blackrack I tried to edit the atmosphere height in-game and yes, I got much more control of how high the atmosphere should be. But I'd have to Save Atmo, and under it is a box named cfg file used and in the box there's written "gamedata/scatterer/configs/planets/Laythe/atmo" on every single planet atmosphere I encounter. Why Laythe tho? Does it mean that the save is gonna take place in Laythe's config?

And also I don't know what "load Atmo" means in the dialog box.

It’s an issue with the current save process. You will have to go into the laythe cfg and copy and paste the bit for the body you want. 

The “load Atmo” button loads the last saved atmo.