[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Is there documentation on how to update 0.77x configs for 0.8xx? I refuse to wait for visual pack creators to do it themselves.

Edit: Why on Earth would you remove ExperimentalAtmoScale? Why should I have to boot the game just to change things? Surely there was nothing wrong beforehand??

Edited by sugarblood

44 minutes ago, blackrack said:

These posts have to be sarcasm at this point

Having no context (and, to be honest, actually no clue about anything actually being 'better' or 'worse') I am properly humiliated. Apologies-- I suppose I was just shortsighted and only saw it as some slap in the face to backwards compatibility (probably out of a selfish urge for things to "Just Work", or something like that. I'm really bad at wording my intents properly.)

...Having said that, I assume it's not an easy matter to update configs. Do they have to be redone from square one, or...?

Edited by sugarblood

18 hours ago, sugarblood said:

Having no context (and, to be honest, actually no clue about anything actually being 'better' or 'worse') I am properly humiliated. Apologies-- I suppose I was just shortsighted and only saw it as some slap in the face to backwards compatibility (probably out of a selfish urge for things to "Just Work", or something like that. I'm really bad at wording my intents properly.)

...Having said that, I assume it's not an easy matter to update configs. Do they have to be redone from square one, or...?

No problem. It has to do with the precomputation system that used to be outside of the game and in a separate tool, let's say that before configs were only able to be rescaled at will in game by breaking physical correctness which causes a lot janky issues and edge cases and things looking "off", now you can rescale them but the correct way because the atmo generation is in-game.

There's not an easy way but you don't have to restart from square one. There's no automatic retro-compatibility because the atmo model changed enough that you can't get 100% the same result (although now you can get better results).

Look up your old atmosphere Rt value (from the config) and multiply it by experimentalAtmoScale, then in-game in the atmosphere tab look up the calculated atmosphere height (which says auto), divide the old Rt * atmoScale by the new height, and use that value in the rescale atmo box in the same tab, that will get you 70% of the way there, at least height wise, save the config (if MM patch you have to save the values manually), the rest adjust to taste.

22 hours ago, Kerb Your Enthusiasm said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but is there a fix yet for Scatterer causing Kerbin's atmosphere to extend out massively 5 times it's normal height yet? I have Scatterer with AVP and it looks unimmersive and awful with the new look, it was perfectly fine before the recent update.  It was raised a while ago, but haven't seen any fixes yet. 

Any help to fix the terrible new huge atmosphere would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Here is a link of the previous post describing this same problem - https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip19x-112x-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-00830-28012022-scattering-improvements-in-game-atmo-generation-and-multi-sun-support/&do=findComment&comment=4055263

AVP configs need to update/be updated. Look up the surrounding posts in any direction.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, Biggen said:

Scatterer keeps setting itself back to "integrated" when I restart KSP even though I apply "Very High".  Am I missing something to make it stick to "Very High"?

Does it actually change to integrated? There is a separate text where the current preset is displayed.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, Folkhoer said:

Using Scatterer, TUFX and Eve, my space center looks really hazy. Any way to remove this?

Why are you reposting this?

On 2/1/2022 at 8:18 AM, Cerious said:

How can I edit Eclipse colors and power? I want to change the earth eclipses to green, Im working on configuring EVO to be more RVE64K alike. Thanks in advance!

I assume you mean sunsets not eclipses. You can't change the eclipse to green without making the atmosphere purple, read up on atmospheric scattering.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Why are you reposting this?

I assume you mean sunsets not eclipses. You can't change the eclipse to green without making the atmosphere purple, read up on atmospheric scattering.

Okay, thanks!

24 minutes ago, Folkhoer said:

I also posted this in the EVE thread because I don't know what causes it :p..

apparently nobody else does either.  How about starting with a full log so we can see exactly what all mods are installed? 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, Biggen said:

It may have been another mod giving me fits.  I deleted all mods and re-installed Scatterer first via Ckan (with dependencies) and the settings seem to have "stuck" now.

Some mods contain their own, overriding scatterer settings that will ignore what you set or change them to in-game. Usually big planet packs like JNSQ, for instance. 

On 2/7/2022 at 5:58 AM, Svm420 said:

Off topic but, I know you showed a demo of heat distortion for jet engines. Did anything ever come of that?

Heat distortion effects for jets are the thing now. But it is done by 

So I beleive there's no much point in implementing it in scatterer.

Edited by evileye.x

23 hours ago, Stolas said:

how do I change the color of the Kerbin?

Long story short its rather complicated, but there is a config tool linked in the original post. Again though it's very complicated. Oops! I'm out of the loop so ignore me!

Edited by HafCoJoe

7 minutes ago, HafCoJoe said:

Long story short its rather complicated, but there is a config tool linked in the original post. Again though it's very complicated.

Someone missed out on the updates :P  it is now completely in-game

Edited by blackrack

8 hours ago, Stolas said:

it helped me a lot. but it doesn't tell you how to change the rage of kerbin without changing the height of the atmosphere

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, but the simplest way to change brightness is to increase skyExposure and scatteringExposure from the GUI as it says in that page I linked. This works even for old versions. Some example screenshots are right there in that same page.

Edited by blackrack