Will We Get a Release Date Prior to Release?

cwfilson

Before everyone starts freaking out, I am not asking when it is coming out.

Usually before a game actually releases there is an official date for release (for marketing reasons, usually). KSP's patches up until now have just come when they are ready, but 1.0 seems like it will be a different kettle of fish. I believe they will have a release date that they will set pretty close to when they are ready to go. I figure maybe a week or so prior to that date we (the general public) will be told.

I am curious what others think. One, will there be a release date given and, two, how far out from the release date might we be told about it? On a related note, did the asteroid mission get a release date?

Speculate away.

C

I'm thinking it'll be exactly like all the other releases. We'll know the date when it becomes available for download.

There was one update where they released a date a while back...

But I don't think we'll get one.

Edited by Bill Phil

I cant think of a 1.0 that didn't have a publicized release date. granted, Squad doesnt strike me as the kind to start placing TV ads, but if we are going gold with 1.0 they really should energize the consumer base and get the word out via some advertising.

...they really should energize the consumer base and get the word out via some advertising.

Not to mention reviews and things like:

Max (Maxmaps): ...I’ve been neck deep in talks regarding distribution, marketing and merchandise for Kerbal Space Program.

We'll get more information during the DevNotes and on the Squadcasts as the features get more presentable during experimentals progress

If you keep an eye on the Steam AppID the frequency/number of builds may slow down as the number of bugs/issues dwindles

Much closer to release (when release is expected within a week or so) we'll start seeing streams and videos from the media team

I really think as its 1.0, KSP should be somewhere in these:

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/upcoming-video-games

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/all/date

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/03/18/2015-video-game-release-schedule.aspx

http://www.pcgamer.com/upcoming-pc-game-releases-spring-2015/

Just having a release date means that the brand(Kerbal Space Program) will appear in all these places. someone can say "huh what is that?" and google it. Boom potential customer.

I cant think of a 1.0 that didn't have a publicized release date. granted, Squad doesnt strike me as the kind to start placing TV ads, but if we are going gold with 1.0 they really should energize the consumer base and get the word out via some advertising.

I can. Minecraft. Release dates used to be the byproduct of a game needing to go to print (Disk, CD, whatever). Dev work had to stop in time to go to print. With digital titles, the devs can keep working right up to the release and even push the release date (which is why they don't tell you what they are).

Edited by Alshain

why exactly cant we ask when does it come out ?, It seems like a perfectly sensible question.

Edit: apparently its in the rules.... i mean i get they might not have a date to give, but seems a bit silly to have it be a 'rule'

Edited by lucretius

why exactly cant we ask when does it come out ?

If Squad said "We're releasing this on February 30th", and then something comes up and the release is delayed, people get their panties in a wad, throw hissy fits, and start acting like spoiled little brats.

Squad got tired of their customers not being able to act like adults.

why exactly cant we ask when does it come out ?, It seems like a perfectly sensible question.

Because it's annoying to have 1000 threads from 1000 people asking the same single question that they will not get the answer they want to.

Edit: apparently its in the rules.... i mean i get they might not have a date to give, but seems a bit silly to have it be a 'rule'

When I was much younger I worked for Walt Disney World. I can assure you, even the most sensible question can make you want to start slapping people when its asked enough.

I'd be shocked if Squad wasn't already keenly aware of the advantages and pitfalls of publicizing the release date, given that they are, in fact, a marketing company.

You might be shocked at what Squad, given the fact they are, in fact, a marking company, has done. :sticktongue:

If Squad said "We're releasing this on February 30th", and then something comes up and the release is delayed, people get their panties in a wad, throw hissy fits, and start acting like spoiled little brats.

Squad got tired of their customers not being able to act like adults.

We'd be waiting a long time indeed for February 30th.

I agree with your last, we adults instead get our expensive gym shorts in a wad, throw a depression fit, then get drunk.

... i get they might not have a date to give, but seems a bit silly to have it be a 'rule'

Whenever you encounter a rule that seems silly, you can be darned sure that somebody did something so much dumber that it had to be made against the rules. When Squad used to announce release dates, several things happened. For one thing, everybody charged the store at once at release time, and crashed it. Then they got mad at Squad because the store wasn't working. Also, people got really nasty if a release date was postponed, and accused Squad of being lazy and incompetent. Stuff like that.

The moment you announce a release date, people are going to complain that it's

1) premature

2) too late

And more often than not it's the same people voicing both complaints.

Then when you release it on that date, with something not quite polished, because you committed to that date, the people demanding you set a date in advance are going to complain the product isn't as advertised.

Or if you do release it as advertised, they're complaining about "what took you so long".

Or they're going to complain that the date is wrong because it's their aunty's birthdate and they can't be online to download it that very day.

So many excuses for bad planning.

I'm not bashing on Squad/KSP, just stating the obvious.

Millions of workers/departments/companies around the world meet deadlines with no problems and

still manage to deliver high quality products.

The gaming industry was like that too before patching became a viable option and publishers forced

development studios into impossible release schedules and consumers accepted downloading 20 Gb on

patches and basically unfinished products until 12 months after "release".

Sure, things can go wrong, but this is also the case for all other businesses.

So many excuses for bad planning.

I'm not bashing on Squad/KSP, just stating the obvious.

Millions of workers/departments/companies around the world meet deadlines with no problems and

still manage to deliver high quality products.

The gaming industry was like that too before patching became a viable option and publishers forced

development studios into impossible release schedules and consumers accepted downloading 20 Gb on

patches and basically unfinished products until 12 months after "release".

Sure, things can go wrong, but this is also the case for all other businesses.

I'm not sure in what world you are living, but I have yet to see a project that will tick all the marks you have mentioned:

- meet deadlines

- no problems

- deliver high quality products

And I'm talking from experience of 10 years working on international multi million (€) projects.

To be honest, all these things you guys have mentioned sound super annoying from the (devs/squads) perspective but its not like people are knocking on their door, bitching/moaning and & criticism seem perfectly suited for a forum. and hey i think paying customers get to do trivial things like moan and ask about release dates.

lol the whole things a little trivial either way, i just thought it was weird they had an actual rule about it, and people seem to be so cautious about it.