Poll: What is the age demograph of Kerbal users?

ron1n1

How old were you when you started playing Kerbal? (age is private)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you started playing Kerbal? (age is private)

• 13 or younger
    • 14 - 16
    • 17 - 18
    • 19 - 21
    • 22 - 25
    • 25 - 30
    • 30 - 40
    • 40 +

As a 29 year old boy, I can hear the creaks in my knees starting to reach the audible dB level. I have this idea that Kerbal is some grown-up game for people with a flair for Physics. I am also thinking about introducing my nephews to the delights of Jeb, Bob and Bill. Though I am not a prolific poster here, I am interested to know what is the age spread for the users here?

I turn 40 this fall.

Every "adult" that I've shown KSP to has either expressed no interest in it, or has completely fallen into it. Every "youngster" (21 and under) that I've shown it to has immediately loved it, but only seem to like it as long as blowing up Kerbals is fun to them. Once it becomes difficult or launching rockets into the VAB just isn't doing it for them anymore, they give up on the game.

I turn 40 this fall.

Every "adult" that I've shown KSP to has either expressed no interest in it, or has completely fallen into it. Every "youngster" (21 and under) that I've shown it to has immediately loved it, but only seem to like it as long as blowing up Kerbals is fun to them. Once it becomes difficult or launching rockets into the VAB just isn't doing it for them anymore, they give up on the game.

The absence of flashing "Press X" label must be confusing to them. :D

P.S. I'm 39.

Huh, at present the poll results are showing the opposite trend of what I'd immediately assumed- I expected the game to be more popular with between 16-25 years of age or so...

The absence of flashing "Press X" label must be confusing to them. :D

I was going to include a snarky comment about how CoD has killed the attention span of today's youth, but I was afraid I'd start a flamewar and have people accuse me of wearing onions on my belt and yelling at clouds.

I was going to include a snarky comment about how CoD has killed the attention span of today's youth, but I was afraid I'd start a flamewar and have people accuse me of wearing onions on my belt and yelling at clouds.

i agree- today gamers have attention spans of seconds and if anything unclear or challenging or even remotely innovative is needed to to something in game they will get frustrated and leave....ohh how i miss the old P&C adventures....

Edited by Vanamonde

i was going to include a snarky comment about how cod has killed the attention span of today's youth, but i was afraid i'd start a flamewar and have people accuse me of wearing onions on my belt and yelling at clouds.

get off my lawn!

I turn 25 tomorrow, and my friend who suggested KSP to me is also 25.

When I started playing, I didn't even know that we (humans) landed probes on Venus or Titan. My favorite thing about this game is it's created an obsession to learn about space and other worlds. Today, I sit next to a stack of around 10 books that I've read in the past two months and I received some radar swath images from NASA JPL from a gentleman that was kind enough to sift through them and find a particular location I was asking about.

Basically, I view the game as a gateway to anything spaceflight related. I haven't actually 'played' KSP in probably three or four weeks, but part of that is due to my laptop not handling it the way I want it to.

A little moderation here:

Please do not reveal your age if it is less than 18 years old.

I refer you to Rule 4.4: "Users under the age of 18 who reveal their age and/or face on official KSP community channels, may have their messages/photos removed for privacy purposes."

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Oops, read it wrong, thought it meant current age. I started playing in 2011 just after my... 17th? I don't even remember.

Also, ron1n1, don't feel bad, I'm only 20 right now and my knees are already horribly crunchy and crackly for some reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.