Devnote Tuesday: Experimental Improvements

SQUAD

Cant you just promise us that you'll make all tanks tweakable to fill them whatever fuel we want with in the next update?

I don't really care about the tank itself, but you would make many people happy with a feature like this.

I would like to second this motion.

People like to share their creations and many people refuse to use mods because of that. I personally try to minimize modded parts, even though I use plugin mods so that I can easily share my craft.

Now it's just down to preference, really. It's not even that hard to install one part. I can see if we had a huge collection of Round-8, Round-16, Round-32, Round-64, and to finish it off the Round-128 artificial gravity module w/fuel capacity. Then that would be a pain in the butt to install. But it's just a single part that's to be dropped into the Parts menu. Again, down to preference.

EDIT:

Also, if the part is well distributed, it would be possible for the most newbie player to download it from, say, Curse.

Edited by 2001kraft
because thoughts in my brain are continuous; also because smRt.

Now it's just down to preference, really. It's not even that hard to install one part. I can see if we had a huge collection of Round-8, Round-16, Round-32, Round-64, and to finish it off the Round-128 artificial gravity module w/fuel capacity. Then that would be a pain in the butt to install. But it's just a single part that's to be dropped into the Parts menu. Again, down to preference.

EDIT:

Also, if the part is well distributed, it would be possible for the most newbie player to download it from, say, Curse.

Also, if Squad would think things through, they would just implement bac9's fuel subtype system and be done with it. No mods, no fuss, no extra models (and no deleted ones)...

Edited by Yakuzi

Nice example of the "there is a mod for that ,so get out of my lawn" pseudo-argument I was talking about in other thread today , 2001kraft, Just because you can mod, some people can't and others can but won't. ANd if we push that line of thought to the logic limit, why not ditch all the parts from stock and just say people to get whatever they want from Curse or the mod forums?

And this is not considering the issues with putting a part in career, that can be obviously fixed, but that people might not know how or maybe don't want the hassle to deal with ;)

Also, if Squad would think things through, they would just apply bac9's fuel subtype system and be done with it. No mods, no fuss, no extra models (and no deleted ones)...

One of the original uses of tweakables that they teased was this, so I think they have thought about it but rejected it. I have no clue why. I'm sure they have their reasons, but without knowing those reasons, I can't say that I agree or disagree with them.

Reentry heating was once done by mods.

Resources were once done by mods.

Docking was once done by mods.

Wheels were once done by mods.

The SPP parts were a mod.

Why were they added to stock if there was a mod for it?

Reentry heating was once done by mods.

Resources were once done by mods.

Docking was once done by mods.

Wheels were once done by mods.

The SPP parts were a mod.

Why were they added to stock if there was a mod for it?

To make the stock game more complete. Believe it or not, many if not most players don't mod their games.

I am continually baffled at people somehow seeing adding features that mods have done as a bad thing. It's a good thing, and one of the big benefits of the early access development model.

Precisely, which is why the "there's a mod for that" argument is a big ol' pile of Baloney Sandwiches.

Which is why we need the ROUND-8 still stock!

To make the stock game more complete. Believe it or not, many if not most players don't mod their games.

I am continually baffled at people somehow seeing adding features that mods have done as a bad thing. It's a good thing, and one of the big benefits of the early access development model.

Besides, how many times does it have to be pointed out that whatever they add, a mod has done that, for the simple reason that there is a mod for almost ANYTHING. Female kerbals? I've had them with Diverse Kerbal Heads for quite awhile. My main scientist Millie was a BadS black (eh, dark green) chick, and I loved her.

"A mod does that" is a pseudo-excuse that must die. We're talking about a released game here, not a released potential game you must install mods to be satisfied. Mods should be the icing, not the cake.

Which is why we need the ROUND-8 still stock!

Dingdingdingdingding!:P

Edited by Vanamonde

Round-8 must be LFO... not Xenon... Only a few ppl uses Xenon, and the already available tanks are good enough for the only useful application xenon have, small Probes and Sats...

in other hand, Round-8 is used in landers, and other things that uses LFO... all that ill be lost w/o a stock substitute...

Why not make a new Xenon Tank? with same radius? and leave Round-8 the way it is?

While it may be good, the code isn't Squad's, and may require an entire rewrite.

Round-8 must be LFO... not Xenon... Only a few ppl uses Xenon, and the already available tanks are good enough for the only useful application xenon have, small Probes and Sats...

in other hand, Round-8 is used in landers, and other things that uses LFO... all that ill be lost w/o a stock substitute...

Why not make a new Xenon Tank? with same radius? and leave Round-8 the way it is?

Stock fuel tweakable for ALL the tanks! Free the boo... I mean, creativity!

E: or... Diversity, I guess?

Edited by Veeltch

"A mod does that" is a pseudo-excuse that must die. We're talking about a released game here, not a released potential game you must install mods to be satisfied. Mods should be the icing, not the cake.

The most valid argument so far. GG on reking me :P

Hey, id very much appreciate not being forced to bring 20+ tanks for a SMALL interceptor (10t). Im all for the larger xenon tank, but i do have to say its not exactly that difficult to either make fuel tanks modular (total volume, pick and choose whatever you want in them), or worst case just make 2 round-8 fuel tanks, one for xenon, one for LFO. Still, im hoping that EVENTUALLY we will get procedural wings, and procedural fuel tanks that not only allow us to pick a length, but also allow us to choose what fuel we want in it (say pick LFO, LF, XE, Mono, ect). Procedural stuff will kill 2 birds with 1 stone, both cut down part count/lag/loading times, AND give us more customizability in our craft.

If push comes to shove, you can always edit the .craft files to alter the fuel loadouts to specific tanks anyways. Ive actually done this on a few ion craft as when i decide to spam massless batteries, ill just edit the properties and make higher capacity batteries (its already exploiting when you spam massless batteries, so editing batteries to have more capacity achieves the same exact thing for less part count).

I don't know- well, mostly know about you guys, but im just going to keep the 0.90 Round 8 in place of the 1.0 Round 8.

AVATARS AND SIGNATURES ARE NOT ENOUGH, WE... ...I HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC ACTION! ....INCASE THE XENON ROUND 8 WILL BE A THING WITHOUT THE LFO ONE!

While I fully agree with you, I'm hopeful that with the procedural fairings coming up in 0.27, we'll be able to design our own nosecones (depending on the mechanics).

Yes, but you can't have fuel in the fairings, and if you press space they might explode!

While I fully agree with you, I'm hopeful that with the procedural fairings coming up in 0.27, we'll be able to design our own nosecones (depending on the mechanics).

Is it seriously so bad to call the next update 1.0 that you refuse to do so? Do you despise compromise and related concepts?

It's 1.0, whether or not you like it. You might say that they were using 0.xx earlier on, but Squad has control over what to name it. It's name is 1.0, that's official.

No offense, but:

Deal with it.

And custom nosecones as you describe would be very useful.

On topic:

What about auto-fairings, though? The ones that are interstages around engines? Maybe make them not go around the engine, but the part the engine is attached to so as to make smaller craft not require the use of a fairing root part.

You guys and your identical avatars! I just merged several posts, thinking they were the same person serial posting. :mad:

Unfortunately, it can't be undone. I apologize. :(

But it's actually your fault for all using the same avatar! :mad:

But I am sorry. :(

Seriously, it's confusing if you all use the same avatar. As a request/suggestion to avoid more confusion, how about you don't do that? Vary them a bit or something?

Edited by Vanamonde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.