Devnote Tuesday: Experimental Improvements

SQUAD

Well, on the doughnut tank :

TBH I agree with people wanting it to not go, since all the parts are useful in some way and re-proposing a part will break ships and, TBH Harv rationale is broken, as someone posted above. OTOH I do find myself wondering if I really want one more part cluttering my RAM when the thing is only a part that already is in game , just with a diferent filling. OFC that could be fixed with either ( or both ) a better handling of the RAM usage by the game ( hint hint ) or by letting us to choose what a container has inside ( say , you give us a FL-T400 and we decide if we fill it with LF, LFO, RCS, Xenon, or a mix of those, with according prices and weight and capacity penalties for using more than one stuff ) ( hint hint ), but as we're not getting any of those now ...

Edited by r_rolo1
Naming conventions are hard, man ... :D

OTOH I do find myself wondering if I really want one more part cluttering my RAM when the thing is only a part that already is in game , just with a diferent filling.

You know this is the update where they are supposed to fix that whole part ram thing, at least to some extent

You know this is the update where they are supposed to fix that whole part ram thing, at least to some extent

I point out to the "to some extent" of your sentence :D Yeah, the devs are to fix some issues with the RAM usage ( most likely the memory leaks ), but the real issue with RAM , that is the fact that the game loads ALL the parts at game start to RAM and DOES NOT unload them for any reason until the game exits or crashes even if you don't use 90% of the parts in the game at any moment most of the times, coupled with the fact that for some OS the game is locked to use 3,ish Gb of RAM, is not to be addressed in 1.0, if ever AFAIK.

In that context I reserve the right to be wary of any change that will increase RAM usage :/

Why, why, why is everyone so obsessed with clouds? Do some of you not realise that it kills some computers.

Please stop saying intigrate EVE. And Squad if you do intigrate clouds then give us the option to turn them off.

However unlikely this request will be listened to.

If they do add clouds there will certainly be a setting to remove them. I'm happy with EVE staying a mod but Kerbin without clouds is just wrong..

Why, why, why is everyone so obsessed with clouds? Do some of you not realise that it kills some computers.

Please stop saying intigrate EVE. And Squad if you do intigrate clouds then give us the option to turn them off.

Agreed... also we all should play in 480x320 screen resolution to have more FPS ;)

Quite frankly, i don't care. The industry should not be held back by the few who don't keep up.

The setting to turn them off will be easy to integrate. You should be so happy they're trying to better the game.

I posted this in the Hype Train thread, but I think I'll post it here too.

Regarding the clouds that will be put in the release animation:

...People new to the game may look at the animation and assume that the game has clouds. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption, right? Unfortunately, it's not valid.

Having the trailer for the game depict a thing that is not in the game is a bit strange. It makes me think that either SQUAD is going to add clouds (optimistic view) or that it's no good at marketing (perhaps more realistic view). If they're going to add clouds, I'll be incredibly happy. If they're squandering their time being misleading to new players, then I'll be irritated.

Just my $0.02USD here.

-Upsilon

Quite frankly, i don't care. The industry should not be held back by the few who don't keep up.

The setting to turn them off will be easy to integrate. You should be so happy they're trying to better the game.

No offence but you are wrong not everyone can affotr h8gh spec computers, many people who play ksp play on lower end machines. You also have some people who like to play the game on holiday where a laptop is much more viable.

And IMO they arnt bettering the game.

Why, why, why, do people keep using this as an excuse to not add clouds.

Tick a checkbox, restart the game, the cloud texture don't load. Is that really so hard? There are a ton of graphics options already, what is one more?

No offence but you are wrong not everyone can affotr h8gh spec computers, many people who play ksp play on lower end machines.

And IMO they arnt bettering the game.

If you can't buy something high spec then dial down the settings. Most of us have been in the position where we couldn't afford to.

It just digs at me that there are people out there which say "don't do this, don't do that". Seriously, you can turn it off.

They are bettering the game, just look at the relevant modding threads...they're massive.

think its worth pointing out good a post from Spartwo.

if squad are worried about the total part count of KSP why have so many wing segments? (while adding more...)

the 'fairing draw tool' is on the way for v1.0 why not add a 'wing drawing tool' as well?

the procedural part cat is out of the bag now anyway...

Edited by Capt Snuggler

I know you were being sarcastic but what you said is we should play in 480x320. I said we should have the option to turn them off.

FYI i play in 1366x720.

I said agreed as first word, so I am +1 for more options in options. It wasn't sarcasm , 420x320 would improve your FPS even on older computers :cool:

think its worth pointing out good a post from Spartwo.

if squad are worried about the total part count of KSP why have so many wing segments? (while adding more...)

the 'fairing draw tool' is on the way for v1.0 why not add a 'wing drawing tool'?

Interesting idea. Would please the plane-creators too i imagine.

Wonder why they are not doing it.

If you can't buy something high spec then dial down the settings. Most of us have been in the position where we couldn't afford to.

It just digs at me that there are people out there which say "don't do this, don't do that". Seriously, you can turn it off.

They are bettering the game, just look at the relevant modding threads...they're massive.

If im going to play KSP no matter how much i lower the settings it wont stop clouds from lagging the game. I never said dont add clouds, i said if you add clouds allow us the otion to turn them off.

i posted this in the hype train thread, but i think i'll post it here too.

regarding the clouds that will be put in the release animation:

...people new to the game may look at the animation and assume that the game has clouds. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption, right? Unfortunately, it's not valid.

Having the trailer for the game depict a thing that is not in the game is a bit strange. It makes me think that either squad is going to add clouds (optimistic view) or that it's no good at marketing (perhaps more realistic view). If they're going to add clouds, i'll be incredibly happy. If they're squandering their time being misleading to new players, then i'll be irritated.

Just my $0.02usd here.

-upsilon

t h i s

I posted this in the Hype Train thread, but I think I'll post it here too.

Regarding the clouds that will be put in the release animation:

...People new to the game may look at the animation and assume that the game has clouds. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption, right? Unfortunately, it's not valid.

Having the trailer for the game depict a thing that is not in the game is a bit strange. It makes me think that either SQUAD is going to add clouds (optimistic view) or that it's no good at marketing (perhaps more realistic view). If they're going to add clouds, I'll be incredibly happy. If they're squandering their time being misleading to new players, then I'll be irritated.

Just my $0.02USD here.

-Upsilon

well I'm glad to see people thinking about this too.

Improve in game visuals and make videos with that! Key framed kerbal animations and special props could easily be comped in over in-game footage if need be. Its kinda entry level multimedia school stuff.

if they need prop ships they could do some kind of community ship design competition. KSP players design ships that fit the requirements of squads brief. The winning ship(s) feature in the release animation.... with improved in-game visuals.

Regarding the Round-8 change -

Many players were willing to accept older craft file breakage, if needed for the improved Aero.

Other parts have been changed, requiring saved craft to be redesigned.

Quoting from the wiki, in v.25:

“Inline Reaction Wheel†rescaled to size 0 and renamed to Small Inline Reaction Wheel, since it was redundant with the Advanced Inline Stabilizer module before.

It's not the same degree of change, since a 'better' part fit right into the gap created by the newly-smaller part. The Round-8 is unique.

Crafts need to be changed for various reasons between updates. We either work around game changes, or make/find mods to fill the gap.

I will miss the toroidal tank. That was my favorite tank for compact landers...

I believe they are making a mistake with this, and I don't think "put it back in yourself" is a good solution. It isn't a redundant tank at all, it's a unique part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.