The Round8 Toroidal Fuel Tank was repurposed as a 1.25m inline Xenon Tank

This is my first thread, but I've been on this forum for a loooong time, creeping around.

So the title of this post is exactly what was posted on the devnotes today. I like to build tiny stuff. Tiny landers, tiny service modules. Everything that can be tiny, I will make them that way. But now that this fuel tank was repurposed to Xenon, my tiny things won't have fuel anymore. =D

This is the only thing I really disliked about this next update. Instead of repurposing, why not just make a new version as inline Xenon tank and keep the old format as well. That'd be better.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

Edited by purpletarget

Whoa, I missed that in my first readthrough of today's devnotes. Interesting. I am highly in favor of more stuff to do with ion engines, but at the same time I do often use the toroidal fuel tanks in probe landers and other small crafts, so I also would prefer a new part instead of a repurposing of this existing one.

It is an unfortunate change, but it will not affect me personally.

And we can't expect everything to stay the same forever. Especially with the 1.0 update.

But still, I will most likely make a .cfg fix for it. And if no one else puts it up here, I will.

Meh, can't blame 'em. The toroidal fuel tank stood out as an oddball (not that that's a bad thing!) and was a bit OP in my mind. Inline fuel tanks are needed for xenon, so while I'll miss the Round8 it's hard for me to get too worked up about it.

ETA: Quote from HarvesteR

Looking at the ROUND8's stats, it was redundant with the Oscar-Tank, except in terms of design. We needed an inline Xenon tank much more than we needed another low-capacity LFO tank for probes.

You are, of course, free to mod it back to its original specs if you want to, or create another cfg to have both variants. k_smiley.gif

Cheers

Edited by amorymeltzer

I posted this on the dev note thread but it probably better here.

I don't really care about breaking old craft designs but that part was in pretty frequent use because of its compact shape and hardly redundant. it does come across as a bit lazy and poorly thought out...

they should at least change the gold foil texture to silver to match the other xenon tanks.

better still why not keep the Round-8 as is and add a modded silver version for xenon? while your at it, add a complete set of light-weight, fragile, high-drag, gold foil tanks for non atmospheric landers and transfer vehicles.

Edited by Capt Snuggler

I still don't see why they can't just put the KSPX ion parts in, instead of getting rid of a very useful part. And if they wanted to, maybe a different toroidal fuel tank part with xenon. But PLEASE keep the liquid fuel ones!

Did not like 90% of the community use that fuel tank in landers? Strange move.

Mod it back in?

Oh, that is surely a very good and widespread solution to this! The tons of designs that people worked very hard on that will get ruined aren't that important, right?

But in all seriousness.. Please Squad, it only takes an amateur programmer to make a new part.

(I'd do it for Squad if I could!)

The change from LFO to Xenon brings up an interesting question: Do Squad update their own pre-built ships? For instance, the Lander/Skycrane combo that comes with the stock game uses a Round-8 for about half its fuel supply.

Good point....

Anyways, I'll have the mod ready to put up by tonight.

I'll pitch in and say this is a bad idea. Is more xenon tanks needed? Yes, but not at the expense of this part. It's the most used part on all my non-atmosphere craft, not just landers.

I also love making tiny craft, and removing this one only leaves the Oscar-B, which does not look nearly as cool. Leave the Round-8, and make additional xenon tanks, please.

I use the toroidal tank far more than I use the Radial Engine Body, mk55, the LES, or the protected solar panels. Make one of them a Xenon tank if you are so set upon limiting the amount of parts despite piling on the wings in the same update.

I use the toroidal tank far more than I use the Radial Engine Body, mk55, the LES, or the protected solar panels. Make one of them a Xenon tank if you are so set upon limiting the amount of parts despite piling on the wings in the same update.

OOOOOOoooooOO... really good point! so many wing sections!

I'm def coming around to the idea of a "wing drawing tool". similar to the "fairing drawing tool" we are getting. it would save SO much on part count!!

OOOOOOoooooOO... really good point! so many wing sections!

I'm def coming around to the idea of a "wing drawing tool". similar to the "fairing drawing tool" we are getting. it would save SO much on part count!!

Damn straight! Where's Chris Crocker when you need him?

The change from LFO to Xenon brings up an interesting question: Do Squad update their own pre-built ships? For instance, the Lander/Skycrane combo that comes with the stock game uses a Round-8 for about half its fuel supply.

Good point. I forgot about the skycrane.

This is really a needless change. For me it's not so much about breaking existing craft as it is about removing a unique part with interesting design uses. And it's a part lots of people use, so why change it into a niche part. I find ion engines absolutely ponderous, so xenon tanks really add nothing for me.

Good point. I forgot about the skycrane.

This is really a needless change. For me it's not so much about breaking existing craft as it is about removing a unique part with interesting design uses. And it's a part lots of people use, so why change it into a niche part. I find ion engines absolutely ponderous, so xenon tanks really add nothing for me.

oh god this is going to get confusing! :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.