Can 56.4GB tablet hold all of digital moves and tv shows from Itunes and Amazon Instant videos?

Cloakedwand72

Every TV program & movie available from Amazon and Itunes? Definitely not. However, if you have a lot of shows/movies bought you can be selective and have a variety of them on the device, possibly the ones that you haven't watched yet or ones that you like a lot. You could also use internet streaming available from Amazon (Not quite sure about ITunes), but at the expense of battery life and your internet bill.

Let's say for fun there are 10,000 movies on iTunes. I have no idea if this number is even nearly correct. Each movie would have a scant 5.64 meg of space to be stored on your tablet. Even RealPlayer in the 90s didn't compress video that harshly.

Shorter answer: No.

Footage at 720x480 (which is the 3:2 ratio of 480p, so widescreen standard definition) is about 10MB using the avi format. Mp4 is about the same, maybe a tad bigger, while with the mkv format, you can bump that up to 720p (1280x720) while dropping the filesize down to 5.9MB to 7.5MB per minute (mkv is pretty good). The tablet can probably play all of those formats, so a worst case scenario based on the numbers I have would be about 90 hours of video at standard definition (using mp4 or avi), with a best case scenario of up to 120 hours at 720p using the mkv format.

I expect that services like amazon use mp4, so you could be as low as 34 hours at 720p using mp4 (I don't have anything on hand at that resolution in that format, so that's my projection for the filesize increase. It may be a few hours better than my projection, which is based on a linear relationship between screen area and file size).

Still, your looking at about a solid day and a half of video in the worst case scenario (and almost a strait week in the best), which will hopefully be long enough that you can use a computer or find an internet connection (I don't know how those services work) and get some new material before you run out.

When I travel, I load up my phone and some extra thumb drives with TV shows to kill time at the airport. I have much less capacity than that, and if I cut the footage down to standard definition (which doesn't matter on a phone sized screen, at least to me), I can get a good few hours out of it. So far it's been enough to get me where I'm going and back again. Now I have a 32GB tablet as well, which is almost enough to fit all 5 seasons of babylon 5 (I actually can get all 5 seasons if I split it up between my phone and tablet). Best part is, once I watch a show, I can delete it and use the thumb drive in my camera.

Edited by Randox

Footage at 720x480 (which is the 3:2 ratio of 480p, so widescreen standard definition) is about 10MB using the avi format. Mp4 is about the same, maybe a tad bigger, while with the mkv format, you can bump that up to 720p (1280x720) while dropping the filesize down to 5.9MB to 7.5MB per minute (mkv is pretty good). The tablet can probably play all of those formats, so a worst case scenario based on the numbers I have would be about 90 hours of video at standard definition (using mp4 or avi), with a best case scenario of up to 120 hours at 720p using the mkv format.

I think you got something wrong. MKV is just a container format like MPG and AVI. The used codec (for example H.264, MPEG 4, VP9) defines how much MB per minute you can get.

This is what happens when I write things when I'm tired. I blame recording things in phases with different settings that would confuse me down the line. Everything I have was done with H.264 as far as I can remember (don't see why I would have changed it), I just got a lot better with the compression (and a computer that can do it faster).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.