Sign in to follow this  
funkcanna

Launch Heading with FAR

Question

Hey, I'm starting to get the hang of launching (by hang of, I mean not exploding every time) using FAR in terms of the turn but whenever I start my Gravity Turn (at around 100/ms velocity) and try to nudge it to 90 degrees, very often the rocket just seems to turn whatever direction it wants. Is something in my design causing this? Basically I have no (or very little) control over the heading the rocket takes once I start the turn.

2 answers to this question

You know that with FAR drag is based on shape and the more you expose your shape to the wind the more the wind tries to push you in that direction. The basic rules of thumb are to keep your initial TWR below 1.5 and to keep your heading somewhat inside the yellow prograde marker until you reach around 30km where the atmospheric pressure is low enough to turn as fast as you want. But there should be loads of tutorials in the tutorial section that explain it all in more detail.

Im doing that but its got a mind of its own! Ive read lots of tutorials etc and I'm following them, but very often my rockets just veer off at any angle they want and I don't know why! Im keep rockets slim and symmetrical.