What Are Things You've Heard That Made You Facepalm?

michaelsteele3

Just last week I lost respect for my science teacher when she insisted that friction caused meteors to heat up on re-entry, it does play a part but the air compressing is where most of the heat comes from. I have had this argument with EVERY SCIENCE TEACHER I HAVE HAD.

Um, actually:

http://m.space.com/15353-meteor-showers-facts-shooting-stars-skywatching-sdcmp.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoroid#Meteor

I don't see anywhere on either of these pages about "compression"

For once, your science teacher might be right.

Um, actually:

http://m.space.com/15353-meteor-showers-facts-shooting-stars-skywatching-sdcmp.html

The air, when hit by objects moving at many kilometers a second, tends to get squished, which increases its temperature.

I'm generally okay with people not knowing space history or complicated orbital physics, but I got a question: When are we going to land on Jupiter?

I don't think it's possible; Jupiter is a gas giant, and spacecraft would probably melt in the hot atmosphere.

Anyways, here's another: Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but it says 'Chicken by the Sea.

I've read the following when randomly browsing internet, having nothing better to do:

Stop telling me that sun is a star! Sun is sun! It's like saying that strawberries are a fruit!

*Gets taken away with skull fractured from slamming it into the desk*

Um, actually:

"meteor visibility is due to the atmospheric ram pressure (not friction) that heats the meteoroid" - The second link

Anyways, here's another: Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but it says 'Chicken by the Sea.

I saw that video, if you count the WatchMojo video as seeing it.

In that same video, there was someone who 'scientifically' explained that whale sharks are half whale, half shark.

I saw that video, if you count the WatchMojo video as seeing it.

In that same video, there was someone who 'scientifically' explained that whale sharks are half whale, half shark.

It was probably that one 6 year old who thinks that the way something it's spelled is it's characteristic.

Personally, one of the most stupid questions a classmate said would be

"If we shot a gun from the Moon, would its bullet reach Earth"

I felt like "CLASSMATE HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF DELTA-V AND ORBITAL MECHANICS"

Online, however, the stupidest thing I've seen was these flat earth conspirators.

Personally, one of the most stupid questions a classmate said would be

"If we shot a gun from the Moon, would its bullet reach Earth"

I felt like "CLASSMATE HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF DELTA-V AND ORBITAL MECHANICS"

Online, however, the stupidest thing I've seen was these flat earth conspirators.

This actually seems like an interesting physics problem. One could suppose with enough powder, a correctly weighted projectile, and the correct firing time and angle you could get it at least close to earth, if not hit it.

This actually seems like an interesting physics problem. One could suppose with enough powder, a correctly weighted projectile, and the correct firing time and angle you could get it at least close to earth, if not hit it.

It wouldnt be perfect but using a probe core and a boat-load of sepratrons we could try this in ksp.

[DERAIL]

Average bullet speed is 762 m/s (2500ft/s).

How much D-V would it take to escape the Moon's gravity?

[DERAIL]

PLEASE CONTINUE REPLYING AS USUAL

- - - Updated - - -

Payed mods.

I don't think paid mods will ever exist in KSP.

If one arises, I highly doubt it will be famous. Except if it's extraordinarily good, as in better than the game itself.

So it won't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Payed mods.

I don't think paid mods will ever exist in KSP.

If one arises, I highly doubt it will be famous. Except if it's extraordinarily good, as in better than the game itself.

So it won't happen.

Someone just asked "what is friction?"

That's not a particularly bad question, depending on how deep into the answer you want to go. Ignorance is not the same as stupidity.

Stop telling me that sun is a star! Sun is sun! It's like saying that strawberries are a fruit!

I have seen this sort of argument many times, mostly relating to humans not being animals, but sometimes things like: 'bananas aren't fruit, they are bananas!'

In a History lesson:

Teacher: Tell me three countries that have been completely conquered by ....-Germany in WWII.

Pupil: Russia, the Soviet Union and the USSR.

Also, the three countries that won the war were America, The United States and the USA.

I was talking to my grandson and one of his friends, (both about 12 yrs. old), about KSP and the real space program I had seen over the years. And my grandson's friend, when talking about going to the moon, in all seriousness, asked "Why didin't they just get in their car and drive there?"

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Let's not get political, please.