What Are Things You've Heard That Made You Facepalm?

michaelsteele3

One of my "brain trust" students provided this statement to identify the American Bar Association:

A federal governing body that determines the amount of alcohol that may be included within mixed drinks.

Yeah, she nailed it. *snicker*

I hate the news so much, I'm not even sure why, but I do. They sensationalize everything and make idiots out of themselves, I can't even stand to watch it. I don't need to know how many break-ins, murders, and molestations there have been in my town, that information means nothing to me and has no effect.

And, when it comes to my areas of expertise, I just wanna put an axe through the TV, because, once again, they make fools out of themselves. When the Antares rocket exploded, some idiot reporter asked whether they were going to have problems with not having enough supplies on the ISS, as if they were going to starve or something. I don't even know why it's so frustrating to me, but It's so obivous that they know how many things can go wrong in a rocket and plan for every scenario, including this. When they resupply the ISS, they still have a month or two's-worth of provisions, just in case.

Then, there was that twin engine ATR 72-600 prop plane that crashed in Taiwan, and the news(I don't remember who, probably CNN) lady had an aviation expert there to answer questions, and she asks, "Is this plane generally considered, 'safe'?" And that was the day I vowed never to watch the News voluntarily.

No plane meant to carry any living human being EVER makes it off the ground without thousands of tests, codes, and regulations to make sure it's safe in almost all expected situations.

I just, hate the news... XD

-End rant

I hate the news so much, I'm not even sure why, but I do. They sensationalize everything and make idiots out of themselves, I can't even stand to watch it. I don't need to know how many break-ins, murders, and molestations there have been in my town, that information means nothing to me and has no effect.

Then, there was that twin engine ATR 72-600 prop plane that crashed in Taiwan, and the news(I don't remember who, probably CNN) lady had an aviation expert there to answer questions, and she asks, "Is this plane generally considered, 'safe'?" And that was the day I vowed never to watch the News voluntarily.

No plane meant to carry any living human being EVER makes it off the ground without thousands of tests, codes, and regulations to make sure it's safe in almost all expected situations.

I just, hate the news... XD

-End rant

I hear you and feel your pain about the news. I always hate hearing television newscasters try to discuss important historical events then put their own world-view on it. Last week was watching MSNBC when a commentator actually talked about how we need to go back to a pre-industrialized society in order to prevent man-made climate change. Pre-industrialized? Yeah, right. He probably does not know what that means nor the impact it would have on civilization...

why, 1800-959-6285 of course! call now and get an extra fire truck FREE with the purchase of two or more ambulances!

I think you mean, "♫800-588-2300, Empiiirree!Today!♫"

One of the very few numbers I know by heart

My friend claimed that McDonalds sells 'fake food'. We were eating plastic all these years...

You don't believe him?!

I just ordered Mcdonalds Nuggets the other day, and this is what I got!

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-7-playsets/i-fun-w-food/1-pics/meat/fpt7055-ckn-nugget.JPG

"Olive Garden is authentic Italian food"

This made me facepalm SO HARD. (Especially since I am 25% Italian)

But-but- I love Olive Garden! :(

- random guy on the internet

Found it on NASA's facebook page.

Off topic, but nice avatar :D HK-47 is one of my favorite Star Wars characters, he's hilarious :D

I hear you and feel your pain about the news. I always hate hearing television newscasters try to discuss important historical events then put their own world-view on it. Last week was watching MSNBC when a commentator actually talked about how we need to go back to a pre-industrialized society in order to prevent man-made climate change. Pre-industrialized? Yeah, right. He probably does not know what that means nor the impact it would have on civilization...

Yay, someone that understands! XD I'm glad my rant wasn't shot down right away lol

Remember back in the day, when there was a celebrity nude leak due to someone on 4chan?

I was there when history was made on CNN. Quite possibly the worst news report I've ever seen. They were talking about "the hacker known as 4chan," and now he may have been a systems administrator for iCloud. They could have prevented extreme stupidity through a five-second Google search but I guess that's too hard for them.

"Warp drive makes you move faster than light."

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Where do I begin?

From my Year 9 science class: 'What color starts with 'B'?'

Year 9.

Also, from my American cousins: 'Antarctica is the hottest place in the world'

(Then again, in America it gets hotter the further south you go, and when they came to Australia the heat was almost unbearable, so I can't blame them)

OK, this happened a minute ago on Steam chat-

Me: BTW, at 6:30 today, there'll be a pad abort test for the SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule

Friend: ???means

Me: wat

Me: its a test to see how aborting works

Me: on the launch pad

Me: hence, pad abort test

Friend: is it like free game?

OK, this happened a minute ago on Steam chat-

Me: BTW, at 6:30 today, there'll be a pad abort test for the SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule

Friend: ???means

Me: wat

Me: its a test to see how aborting works

Me: on the launch pad

Me: hence, pad abort test

Friend: is it like free game?

​It was at that moments I realized, I needed new friends.

Saw this on Imgur...

*After me writing "cocker/poodle mix*

"Oh no, my dog is not a mix. She is a purebred Cockapoo, I spend $1000 to make sure she wasn't a mix!"

Some people just need to be slapped in the face by reality and common sense. Which is ever so scarce these days....

"My mother is Amish"

-My classmate who is in my school, FILLED WITH ELECTRONICS

his mother could have been Amish and then left the Amish town, or his mom could have been Amish and his dad left the town with the kids, or his mom could have Amish heritage. I live in America, but I can say I am Irish because my family has Irish ethnicity.

his mother could have been Amish and then left the Amish town, or his mom could have been Amish and his dad left the town with the kids, or his mom could have Amish heritage. I live in America, but I can say I am Irish because my family has Irish ethnicity.

In addition, she might've been Amish earlier in her life but left. Amish have the option of leaving the Amish church, but once they do they get shunned by all their family and Amish friends, and essentially have to start a new life and integrate into modern society.

He currently lives with his mother right now... In my development. He may have been doing it for attention, idk.

whenever a certain someone goes" what if I kill you while you are launching(talking about my fantacy of going to space irl)" I respond"well, then you would kill me."but he responds"well what would you do?"

he keeps asking "what if I kill you?" "well what would you do?"

whenever a certain someone goes" what if I kill you while you are launching(talking about my fantacy of going to space irl)" I respond"well, then you would kill me."but he responds"well what would you do?"

he keeps asking "what if I kill you?" "well what would you do?"

I question what kind of people you know....

"Is Mars the red one?"

That's better than someone saying "Is jupiter the one with rings?" and then somebody answering "Jupiter doesn't have rings"

That's a double facepalm, as there are 3 planets with rings, and Jupiter has a 1000km+ wide ring system.

That's a double facepalm, as there are 3 planets with rings, and Jupiter has a 1000km+ wide ring system.

Four. And at least one minor body in the Solar System as well (10199 Chariklo).

EDIT: Added name of minor body in Solar System with rings.

Edited by Nikolai