What Are Things You've Heard That Made You Facepalm?

michaelsteele3

Look, Reddit and newspapers have the right to censor comments. IMO, Climate Change Denialists deserve about as much air-time/paper-space* as Moon-landing conspiracy nuts, etc. There comes a time when the evidence becomes so blatantly obvious that there is no point in debating whether or not the problem exists, but debating what we should do about the problem. And no, one of the options is not: "Let God take care of it."

"If you rob people of their identity, if you rob them of their democracy, then all they're left with is nationalism and violence."

- Nigel Farage

Of course, in your opinion, "denialists" are worthless. I never expected to convince you otherwise. Actually, I don't expect to convince anyone here of anything. How could I? We're all so brilliant, aren't we? We play a game about space.

"The surest mark of self-evident truth is the vicious suppression of all dissent." - no one ever

How about calm down with the quotings, Mr "no climate change" ? It's not about forbidding people to express themselves and give their point of view, it's about letting them and ignore them since huge amounts of data prove they are wrong, and because they are a tiny minority.

Another thing that makes me facepalm is the people that talk in quotes and never say anything that comes from their own brain

Youtube comments section is full of treasures...

comment found in an ESA video :

"ESA, NASA and all the other space agencies are liars and they made everything up. It is not possible to send anything because rocket engines don't work in a vacuum."

-->so i told him that rocket engines actually worked better in a vacuum than in atmosphere, and asked him where he learnt this ridiculous stuff about rocket engines :

"It is impossible that they work in vacuum because the gas expelled has no atmosphere to push on. It's the gas that pushes on the air and then pushes the rocket forward. Trust me i know it."

--->MEGAFACEPALM

Not only he is wrong but he is convinced that he is right !

I think I saw that very same "exchange of arguements". I just kept silent, just getting out of another debate on the "impossibility" of space rocketry which also touched upon how helicopters "can't fly out of ground effect because they need the rebouncing air to keep them aloft". One thing is certain. The YT comments section is not where we will find a cure for cancer, or the next breakthrough in space travel.

This is an old one (from 1999 actually) but has always stuck with me a one of the biggest face palm moments I've ever had.

"NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday."

Sorry if it's been said before in this thread, I have to admit I didn't read 32 pages to find out.

The moon landing is fake theory again...

*sigh* cringeworthy.... not going to rebuke every single point he makes...

OMG. I was able to watch that until a few seconds after he confused the Soyuz con trail for the engines loosing efficiency. It is clear that guy doesn't even know what escape velocity is or how to achieve orbit and yet he thinks he can talk about space travel well enough to debunk it. It is said that only the truly ignorant can over estimate their knowledge so completely but it takes a video like this to truly appreciate the truth of this wisdom.

That was one of the funniest videos I've ever watched. I bookmarked it so I can go back and watch his other videos for the comedy value.

Okay, this is an interesting conversation I had with a friend yesterday:

Friend: Hey, you wanna hear a cool thing I heard on youtube the other day

Me: yeah, sure

Friend: Okay, so 2 trains are heading straight towards each other on the same train track. Train A is moving at 50 miles/hour and Train B is moving at 50 kilometers/hour. If we assume the two trains left the station at roughly the same time and are roughly the same size, what would the people on Train A be yelling?

a) All of the above

B) OH NO!

c) LOOK OUT!

d) NOOOO!

Me: Uhh, C I suppose?

Friend: That is wrong. B,C and D are all incorrect

Me: Wait, but A says 'All of the above'. There's nothing above that.

Friend: Wrong again. Our options were:

h) 2 trainz!

g) What's a train?

f) I'm bored!

e) Uuuugh

a) All of the above

B) OH NO!

c) LOOK OUT!

d) NOOOO!

Me: Wait, what?! those options weren't even there before! And why would they be saying that?

Friend: Well, the options below A might have been correct for Train B since they measure in kilometers and therefore their passengers live in a developed country like we do, But since Train A measures in miles that means most of their passengers are American. Hence why the answer is A.

Me: ..................................................................

Had loads of fun watching this video, thanks for sharing ! Best part is when he says that the rocket should go straight up because shortest path from A to B is a straight line :D

Hmmm... the "see the smoke ? engine is losing efficiency !" is very funny too, not sure wich one i prefer...

Adding another wonderful quote to the collection :

"You cannot prove that you have been to Australia, so it is common sense that Australia does not exist. So for sure the earth can not be round"

-seen on the flat earth society forums. Still not sure if troll or real retardation...

That video, sorry, I stopped watching when he stupidly talked about gravity turns as proof rockets don;t go into space....

Here is a rough copy of a conversation I had with an American on the old MSN.

me: "Hey, do you know New Zealand is the first nation on the planet to see the new dawn?"

him: "Really?

me: "yep, we are about 12 hours ahead of you, thanks to the time zones, therefore, I am in your future. I know things that have not happened for you yet!"

him: "For real? OK, then tell me something"...

by this time, I'm amazed he fell for it so I decide to make it worthwhile...

Me: "OK, in about 30 minutes in the USA, someone tried to shoot President Bush, two Secret Service agents are dead!"

silence.... for about 5 minutes....

him: "I told my parents, they are in shock, they've switched to FOX NEWS to wait for the news flash"

me: "You do know I'm joking, right?"

him: "what do you mean?"

by this time, I feel really sorry for him... and especially his parents...

me: "Nothing. I have to go now, bye..."

That was the last time he ever spoke to me.... :)

Dear god.

The map projection misinterpretation was right on par with the gravity turn error.

WHY DID I SEE THAT

I CANNOT EXPRESS MY FEELINGS IN WORDS, THEY'VE BEEN TORTURED, KILLED AND THEN EATEN BY THAT VIDEO

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO STUPID?

I think I just lost an IQ

Rockets go straight up! Gravity turns prove that rockets don't go to space! The moon is a hologram! We never went to it! The Earth is flat! To go to somewhere in space, just burn torwards it! Orbital mechanics are fake! Google Earth proves that we did not go to the Mun! A crater that can be seen on the Mun from a certain height can't be seen if it were on Earth and was observed from the same height despite they having DIFFERENT SIZES FOR CHRIST SAKE! The Moon doesn't fit the Sun perfectly during an eclipse, therefore THE MUN IS A HOLOGRAM! All eclipses should be perfect because of differences in size and distance, ignoring THAT THE ORBITS ARE INCLINED! Everything millions have researched about space using proper devices are wrong, I, the truth-bringer, who uses simple instruments, am right! Liars! Satellites with bad image quality proves that they're blurred, fake, clearly worthless images, despite we living in the HD world now! Ignore that HD cameras are more expensive that cameras with less quality and that HD is not a requirement to most experiments, not to mention that these cameras are heavier and their images are bigger in size, making it more difficult to send them back! Because one image is bad, and we have one that's actually HD, BOTH ARE FAKE! Clouds should never cover land mass, but they do therefore FAKE! World maps having differences means that everything is wrong! Ignore that converting a 3D sphere to a 2d rectangle doesn't give a perfect output! Pictures being different? ALL ARE VALUELESS! Images with different sizes of the Moon? ALL FALSE! Ignore satellites not having the same, exact orbit to see it like the other! Road trip!
Edited by windows_x_seven

I wonder what ocean the Soyuz was going to fall back down to. *Resist laughing face*

- - - Updated - - -

I think he forgot more than the speed of escape velocity.

Two astronauts?!?!?! I think generally 3 launch on Soyuz.

Lunar waves? Goodbye, video.