What Are Things You've Heard That Made You Facepalm?

michaelsteele3

Over the last few weeks...

Is it possible to live without computers?

Is downloading illegal files illegal?

If people are against poverty then why are they helping poor people?

(insert the name of almost any poor country here) is wealthier than America1

Which US states are in the EU?

Why do people hate (ISIL/Al-Qaeda/North Korea) so much?

How can submarines see underwater?

Is America communist?

Why don't native Americans go back to China?

Why don't we just blow up every country we don't like?

Me and my friends are going to start our own country in the arctic circle but the UN isn't responding to our email what do we do now?

Did the LHC cause the earthquakes in Nepal?

Is the sun the hottest thing in Australia?

The earth is 2015 years old!

Why do people say the world is round if it is flat on all maps? Why won't they make round maps?

If I dug 2 meters into the ground, will I find lava?

If the earth started going around the sun backwards, would time go backwards or would the earth's gravity just reverse?

How do I build a time machine out of cats?

Why can't we land on the sun already? We can go at winter if it is too hot, and we can easily use the geothermal energy!

If Mexicans are called 'aliens', does that mean they are from space? Is mexico in space?

Why does the sun go around earth instead of Jupiter? isn't Jupiter bigger?

Does the sun ever get sick?

What is water's purpose on earth, why is it moving, where is it all going, why does it need to move, what is its mission?

Why do Africans and Indonesians say they have no water when they are surrounded by water?

Is Canada a US state, or a collection of US states?

Why are there so many middle eastern people in south west asia?

Why are there so many Europeans in the EU?

What has happened...

My wife, before I go to rent a drain auger from Home Depot: "but I've always dumped bacon/hamburger grease down the drain, you just have to chase it with hot water."

Sure, maybe back on the farm where it just soaks into your septic field, but it's going to harden somewhere. She never heard the news reports where they've (I've heard Vancouver and London both) found 10 ton balls of grease clogging their sewers

"You use an Acer laptop? It sucks!"

Dude, I get it. You read about and owned maybe a few poorly engineered pieces of mobile computing garbage. But so have we all. But I don't go around looking over what the other guy is using and state "HP sucks" or "Compaq sucks" or even "Apple sucks" because they don't - there are lemons in every product line. And I have used and loathed LOTS of lemons.

And there are awesome models with great stats and bargain bin prices (because of the bad rep? Who cares?), like my Acer gaming laptop. Sure it ain't the best or most powerful but it has a good GPU, good screen, good design and awesome battery life, in part because I chose a less powerful processor on purpose. Oh and yes huge discount when I bought it. Specs > brand name anyday.

Two more:

If we all take a bucket of seawater and pour it down the drain will that stop sea level rise?

Can eggs lay eggs?

Are eggs fruit or vegetables? (looks up 'eggplant' on Wikipedia) okay its a vegetable

Edited by ChrisSpace

Me to some arrogant kid who thinks he's the smartest person on Earth while talking about KSP (not true, half the class has a higher grade than him and most of the stuff he randomly says to display his "intelligence" is obvious): "He,y have you heard of Danny2462?"

Kid: "Yeah, but I believe it's Danny6259"

Me: "Uh, it's Danny2462."

Kid: "I'm pretty sure it's Danny6259"

He was saying this while moving his index finger in a very matter-of-fact way (fist closed w/ thumb on middle finger and index finger out, pointed upwards and moved downwards on every syllable to emphasize his (wrong) point, which just made it even more infuriating.

Another aggravating encounter with him was when he asked me if I knew what delta-V was.

Kid: "Do you know what delta-V is?"

Me: "Uh, yeahhh, it's change in velocity..." (in retrospect I realize this is incorrect in some cases)

Kid: "No, it's the ratio of -stutter-"

Me: ~ sigh ~

Kid: "-stutter- It's the ratio betw-stutter"

At this point I left my seat and moved somewhere else because I was on the verge of punching him in the face.

Edited by mythbusters844

was walking in the street yesterday my lighter out of gaz. Just in front of a young military in faction in front of some building crossed my way with a girl lighting her cigarette. As my own lighter was out i asked her "may i ask you for some fire" a few second later /facepalm totally absurd everyday occurence.

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

It's easy to tell you made those up. At least that's what it looks like :P

Well, the "earth is 2015 years old" thing.. I've literally seen people think that. Literally. :P

Just went through a part of YouTube.

Aliens and ufos are nothing more than a demonic deception

Theres a planet called planet X its just like earth but people are trying to find life on it
fnaf is the best game ever

Great knowledge comes from its comment section.

I once had a guy tell me that WW2 was financed by the World Bank so that a few bankers could rake in billions. I told him that the World bank came out of the Bretton Wood conference in late 1944, held its first meeting in June or July 1946 and was not a functioning entity until about 1949. He refused to believe me or to look it up himself. Some people have their cherished beliefs and just shut their ears against any dissenting view.

A video by the Fine Brothers had small children react to Beatles music and Beatles Fever, and one of the small children said

"Why don't they just not go to the music and get it on their Ipods?"

Yeah... they had Ipods back then...

As a life long fan of The Beatles, that was the first time I acctually felt anger towards a child.

A video by the Fine Brothers had small children react to Beatles music and Beatles Fever, and one of the small children said

"Why don't they just not go to the music and get it on their Ipods?"

Yeah... they had Ipods back then...

As a life long fan of The Beatles, that was the first time I acctually felt anger towards a child.

I hate the Beatles, but when I watched that video I got mad at the kid.

Haha, younger kids sure are something, aren't they?

"I'm not getting an iPhone 6. I'm too good for it. All they do is bend! Worst invention EVER!"

Get a case, idiot. Cases don't bend.

So I get an iPhone 6 (Not a +)

So I'm in public and that same person comes up to me and says "Did it bend yet?" I tell them "Does it look like it?" (It wasn't bent at all.)

Then she pulls out an iPhone 6+. It's bent, and has cracks all over it to the point where you can't even see the screen. Then says "See? I told you they BEND!"

I ask her what happened to it, and she tells me "I bought it to test it out. I got a clamp from my tool shed, clamped it to my table, and stepped on it. Guess what? It bent! I was right!"

Oh my god I can't even...

Almost like those people who buys an iPhone only to throw it in the microwave.

*Gustave Holt's Mars plays* 'Is this from Star Wars?'

- Two of my friends- 2015

Edited by CelticCossack51
dammit tab button! I thought you did super spacing!