KSP Brake Toggle Mod

_selfishPerson

I've been working for the past few days on resolving an annoyance of mine - the physical button you assign to brakes is not a toggle, it is on when you're pressing it, and otherwise it's off! This annoys me when landing aircraft, so I made a mod to "fix" it! All it does is add another keybind, which is not in the actual keybinding menu (all the people whom I asked said it's not possible :P). So how do you change the keybinds, you ask? Well, if you right click the on-screen break button, a small GUI will show up assisting you to do this! It works nearly like the keybind menu, so it should be self explanatory. You can toggle it off by right clicking the break button again. So yeah, enjoy! I've certainly liked the small thing it does so far!

And if you have ANY bugs, PLEASE TELL ME! I'll look into them ASAP!

Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!EJNQVBqI!V6_mnZf3TKlU6XQgH9jVdYbCelaNVqP2ZI6uEcI1piU

Source code: https://github.com/ericBG/KSP-Break-Toggle/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

License: MIT

Enjoy! :D

Sorry to shut you down _selfishPerson, but what Coward says is true. Source code and a license are required.

Also : we have greed and cowardice in the same thread? I summon LustForSpace!

Sorry, didn't know about those rules. I'll make sure to add them on, they'll be there in 10 minutes at most!

Sorry to shut you down _selfishPerson, but what Coward says is true. Source code and a license are required.

Also : we have greed and cowardice in the same thread? I summon LustForSpace!

License and source code have been added. Sorry for the delay, had to handle real life for a while :)

Well, I've finally had time to test it, and unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. :|

When I hit the B button, it works like the stock way: Hold-to-brake. And nothing happens on log. But when I click the Brakes button, I get this on log:

[Log]: [KSP Break Toggle (BreakToggle)] OnPress()

Here's the full log.

Thanks in advance for the support. :)

y'know, I kid you not, it was just yesterday when I was looking around for a new project and thought to myself "the brakes! oh how that necessary clickage vexes me." Okay, so I'm not that eloquent with my words in my head, but it seemed to fit the mood right now. Anyway, I discarded the idea because I couldn't figure out how I would even begin doing that and tackled something else instead. Great that you've built this just in time to fill the gap.

Well, I've finally had time to test it, and unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. :|

When I hit the B button, it works like the stock way: Hold-to-brake. And nothing happens on log. But when I click the Brakes button, I get this on log:

[Log]: [KSP Break Toggle (BreakToggle)] OnPress()

Here's the full log.

Thanks in advance for the support. :)

I haven't actually checked, but his description and code says that

1) It isn't using the stock brakes key

2) It may not have a default binding (right click on the brakes button to open set binding window)

I haven't actually checked, but his description and code says that

1) It isn't using the stock brakes key

2) It may not have a default binding (right click on the brakes button to open set binding window)

Well, what can I say?

I feel ashamed for not paying attention to that description. Either it wasn't there when I first looked at, or I really didn't pay attention. Either way, my bad, and thank you guys for clarifying.

It works like a charm. :)

Well, what can I say?

I feel ashamed for not paying attention to that description. Either it wasn't there when I first looked at, or I really didn't pay attention. Either way, my bad, and thank you guys for clarifying.

It works like a charm. :)

Good to know it wasn't a bug, that would be such a stupid thing to do by me haha

y'know, I kid you not, it was just yesterday when I was looking around for a new project and thought to myself "the brakes! oh how that necessary clickage vexes me." Okay, so I'm not that eloquent with my words in my head, but it seemed to fit the mood right now. Anyway, I discarded the idea because I couldn't figure out how I would even begin doing that and tackled something else instead. Great that you've built this just in time to fill the gap.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since the author has been offline for more than a year now, and the license allows us modifying and distributing the mod, I've took the liberty to rebuild the mod for KSP 1.1.2.

The core function is working flawlessly; you can toggle the brake key. But currently you can't change keybinds in-game. Only through the key.cfg file.
So I've set the default toggle key to B on the cfg file, and changed my stock brake key to N in game.

Unnoficial version 1.0.1 here: http://puu.sh/oTijd/f9a414a513.zip

Edited by Kowgan

2 minutes ago, Kowgan said:

The core function is working flawlessly; you can toggle the brake key. But currently you can't change keybinds in-game. Only through the key.cfg file.

So I've set the default toggle key to B on the cfg file, and changed my stock brake key to N in game.

Cool and thanks, but you may want to rethink your non-toggle brake key, lest you have your AIRBRAKES jiggle open and closed every time you RCS thrust to slow down during docking.

@5thHorseman I don't use N for anything else. I created translation RCS binds on my numpad to replace IJKL/etc. It's way more intuitive for me and I don't need to change to docking mode to use them; plus each player can choose their brake-hold key as they prefer. :)

Edited by Kowgan

• 1 month later...

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone else had noticed that if you hold B, and go to the map, or the pause menu, the brakes stay on. Handy, if you need to check the map, you can just hold and press M, and know that your craft is braking... brake-ed... broken? Although, it makes me nervous, and I end up going back to check the brake light, anyway. The pause menu is nice, because you can just pop back out of it, and the brakes stay on, but ESC is more out of the way, than M is. Maybe there are other key combos, that already act as a brake toggle. 

Edited by BimmyBot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.