Kerbal Kountdown!!!!

boxley

We may not like it, but they have no obligation to announce things the way that we would find most enjoyable.

It's probably going to be a better ride for us if we accept that SQUAD is really who's in the pilot's seat and try to enjoy the ride, rather than being back-seat drivers pilots.

I know I don't want to spend the next ten days being angry and frustrated.

Happy landings!

Or we can use assets like this forum, or reddit, to consolidate Squad's statements for the benefit of fellow customers with lives outside KSP. I don't give one iota for marketing or Squad's hype machine. I'm a self-interested consumer who doesn't want to spend hours trawling through social media to learn in which direction Squad is taking one of my favorite games. For any other developer I would simply bookmark the official news outlet. For KSP I bookmark this forum and reddit, relying on the community to again do what Squad opts to not.

I think it's more complex than that. I'm not a marketing person, but it seems to me that many marketing campaigns begin with small cryptic teasers of some sort.

A medium like Twooter is well suited for dropping a small, potentially cryptic, remark which gets people thinking, wondering, guessing.

A medium like the forum, which is essentially dialogue based, may not be well suited for such an objective.

We may not like it, but they have no obligation to announce things the way that we would find most enjoyable.

It's probably going to be a better ride for us if we accept that SQUAD is really who's in the pilot's seat and try to enjoy the ride, rather than being back-seat drivers pilots.

I know I don't want to spend the next ten days being angry and frustrated.

Happy landings!

Here's the catch, though. They are obligated to make us happy, because we pay the bills. I don't think Squad are yet to the point where they're to big to fail. Creating a poor reputation with fans can have a negative impact on your profits.

Sadly, I feel like we've become a society that has become willing to settle for the bare minimum from the companies we support. No matter how much we complain, we never actually vote with our dollar. We still see the new Transformers movie. We buy this years Madden, despite the minimal change. My money is worth more than that.

So, here's the rub. I've already payed Squad. So, essentially, they're betting that any negative press I build will be less than negligible.

This was more of a rambling post. I can probably express this better. ...but I'm just now having my morning coffee.

Edited by klgraham1013

This thread needs a few of these:

PvD0ofh.jpg

Forums such as this have historically been little more than hotbeds for vitriolic posts which frequently derail announcements. Twitter is becoming the new go-to place for several "game studios" to interact with their audience.

Even if you personally don't like twitter, being an obnoxious twit (pun totally intended) about it is not likely to inspire squad to listen.

Here's the catch, though. They are obligated to make us happy, because we pay the bills.

I think this is incorrect. As you point out later in your post, you have already paid for the game.

Sadly, I feel like we've become a society that has become willing to settle for the bare minimum from the companies we support. No matter how much we complain, we never actually vote with our dollar.

I would say that the way our commerce is structured has much more impact than any aggregate choice to 'settle for the bare minimum'.

It seems to me that the concept of 'voting with your dollar' is pretty political/ideological.

So, here's the rub. I've already payed Squad. So, essentially, they're betting that any negative press I build will be less than negligible.

I'm afraid that I think that is probably a sound marketing strategy. They are proactively building hype for the launch. There will always be some disgruntled owners of any product. It's probably more profitable/cost effective for them to be spending their time on hyping the launch than on 'regruntling' the disgruntled customer.

Happy landings!

p.s. I apologize for the amount of real life that crept into this post.

But....What does this mean? What is the significance of this image? We have to analyze it!

The names are taken from the backup crew for Apollo 10.

L. Gordon Cooper, Donn F. Eisele, and Edgar Mitchell

Happy landings!

p.s. The internet is amazing.

Edited by Starhawk
moar details

https://twitter.com/KerbalSpaceP/status/589085685757411328/ This was just posted to Twitter!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCzaSmyXIAAYiVk.png:large

Kerbals can have middle names and suffixes at the end of their names now! Cool!

But....What does this mean? What is the significance of this image? We have to analyze it!

15600 meters is a sign.

15600 minutes.

Thats 260 hours.

Thats 10.83 days.

In other words, an evening release in 10 days.

Edited by r4pt0r

15600 meters is a sign.

15600 minutes.

Thats 260 hours.

Thats 10.83 days.

In other words, an evening release in 10 days.

OK. But how does 601.9 m/s fit into the calculation?

And aren't you going to count the stars visible in the pic? :)

Happy landings!

OK. But how does 601.9 m/s fit into the calculation?

And aren't you going to count the stars visible in the pic? :)

Happy landings!

I dare say the speed is just a consequence of getting to that altitude. You don't accidentally take a screenshot at an altitude ending in a nice round number like 15600. too unlikely.

I dare say the speed is just a consequence of getting to that altitude. You don't accidentally take a screenshot at an altitude ending in a nice round number like 15600. too unlikely.

I was just joking around. :)

Happy landings!

The picture is of Apollo 10 for some reason with backup crew at their closest approach to the Moon which was at May 22

21:29:43 UTC

. So I guess that's the release date, its a Friday so it makes sense.

Attracting new customers is absolutely part of marketing.

So is maintaining goodwill and satisfaction with existing customers.

A good/smart company, IMO, does both.

"We already got your money, so you don't matter" is not a message you want to be sending to customers, ever. Word-of-mouth can kill you there.

Note that I'm not arguing, as some have, that SQUAD should abandon efforts to attract new customers (e.g., with videos) and devote those resources to the game. I'm saying they should do both, and keep the community informed through all available channels.

Edited by Commander Zoom

The picture is of Apollo 10 for some reason with backup crew at their closest approach to the Moon which was at May 2221:29:43 UTC

. So I guess that's the release date, its a Friday so it makes sense.

No, since it's a countdown and yesterday was 11, this probably only means 10. Just a guess.

- - - Updated - - -

...But we may be counting down to something. 1.0 release, maybe?

Not until they bring back the ROUND-8 they don't! :mad:

Attracting new customers is absolutely part of marketing.

So is maintaining goodwill and satisfaction with existing customers.

You, of course, have a very good point. I'm sure I massively overstated my case to make my point.

All in all, SQUAD and the dev team do seem to take the hopes, desires, and wishes of the forum community into account.

Happy landings!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.