Kerbal Kountdown!!!!

boxley

[snip]

Why do they want us so connected? Why does facebook want people to use facebook? Why does twitter want people to use Twitter? So they can farm users for marketable data. As a gaming company Squad should not treat customers this way. As a marketing / behavioral tracking company, Squad is acting just like any other: Keep them using the 'free' products. Keep them viewing the ads. Keep them sending in the data.

SQUAD is totes-mcgotes allowed to post wherever they want, and making tin-foil-ey rants about the evils of marketing is really not helping anyone.

[/retort]

Also, just tweeted a link to this thread on the twits with the official contest hashtag! Keep posting those awesome pics!

When does the financial quarter end? Take that date and subtract at least a week so that the bulk of sales are all in this quarter and not the next. Then look for a tuesday, or at least toss out everything thursday-sunday.

Then watch steamDB for a 2-3 day gap in experimentals updates. This is to allow those with early access to create and monetize youtube vids prior to release. After that, the flag goes up when .90 is moved to stable/previous on steam.

Edited by Sandworm

SQUAD is totes-mcgotes allowed to post wherever they want

While this is true, don't you think it would benefit Squad to use their own official forums to make official announcements about their official game?

I mean, sure, make a post on reddit, twitter, facebook, whatever, BUT make the official post here first!

If www.kerbalspaceprogram.com is not the place to get info on all things Kerbal Space Program, then they are suffering a severe identity crisis and need to get that sorted fast.

This is no different from school-yard squabble. "I'll tell my friends to tell your friends to tell you that I hate you, and I'll await your response from you to your friends to my friends to me."

I don't think its a coincidence that the kerbals are clearly named after Apollo 10 backup crew and that altitude over the Mun is Apollo 10 closest at 15.6 km. This clearly maps to a specific date May 22nd. May be they used the backup crew to make it less obvious it was Apollo 10.

Not sure about the countdown, yesterday 11 boosters today 10 for Apollo 10? Is that clear enough for a countdown. May be the boosters are a clock face which would make it 8. May be the countdown is for the competition not the release date.

shoobadoo, counter retort from Greenfire32

SQUAD of course could do things better. But we can't continually harp on them to change their ways. Nor can we tell them to post here first all the time, every time. Part of marking is having a diverse community voice, posting different things on different mediums. If I'm just a twitter follower, couldn't I argue that I don't get enough dev-love on there? You are always, always going to have different information going through your different information feeds. I very much understand the large frustration here with SQUAD not posting everything on the forums. But you have to understand that they don't always want to. Max probably doesn't want to go over to the forums every time he wants, or is told, to post something about the game. Is that right? I don't know, but it's human nature, and obviously he hasn't been fired for it yet.

Barring all of this, because The Internet, announcements and things almost always end up in the forums pretty quickly. Maybe SQUAD feels the community already gets those things here by themselves, and so doesn't feel the need to expend extra time doing it.

While this is true, don't you think it would benefit Squad to use their own official forums to make official announcements about their official game?

I mean, sure, make a post on reddit, twitter, facebook, whatever, BUT make the official post here first!

If www.kerbalspaceprogram.com is not the place to get info on all things Kerbal Space Program, then they are suffering a severe identity crisis and need to get that sorted fast.

This is no different from school-yard squabble. "I'll tell my friends to tell your friends to tell you that I hate you, and I'll await your response from you to your friends to my friends to me."

As kindly pointed out by KasperVLD, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter are all official channels too. :)

And the website is more or less the place to buy the game, and it has links to the channels where the news comes out.

Not saying that I would not like them to put news here, but still, it is not as one-sided as many might think.

As kindly pointed out by KasperVLD, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter are all official channels too. :)

And the website is more or less the place to buy the game, and it has links to the channels where the news comes out.

Not saying that I would not like them to put news here, but still, it is not as one-sided as many might think.

Correction: Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter are the official channels. The forum is obviously not seeing as how they didn't bother to put it here... at all. Honestly, I'm surprised they still bother copying the devnotes here at this point, and the Suggestions and Development Discussion forums is the biggest joke of all. I seriously doubt anyone from Squad looks at that.

Not sure about the countdown, yesterday 11 boosters today 10 for Apollo 10? Is that clear enough for a countdown.

Max also twooted this morning that there would be 10 new screenshots in Squadcast tonight.

Happy landings!

Correction: Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter are the official channels. The forum is obviously not seeing as how they didn't bother to put it here... at all. Honestly, I'm surprised they still bother copying the devnotes here at this point, and the Suggestions and Development Discussion forums is the biggest joke of all. I seriously doubt anyone from Squad looks at that.

I agree with this. Why even bother calling it the official forum when that description is far from the truth.

SQUAD of course could do things better. But we can't continually harp on them to change their ways. Nor can we tell them to post here first all the time, every time. Part of marking is having a diverse community voice, posting different things on different mediums. If I'm just a twitter follower, couldn't I argue that I don't get enough dev-love on there? You are always, always going to have different information going through your different information feeds. I very much understand the large frustration here with SQUAD not posting everything on the forums. But you have to understand that they don't always want to. Max probably doesn't want to go over to the forums every time he wants, or is told, to post something about the game. Is that right? I don't know, but it's human nature, and obviously he hasn't been fired for it yet.

Barring all of this, because The Internet, announcements and things almost always end up in the forums pretty quickly. Maybe SQUAD feels the community already gets those things here by themselves, and so doesn't feel the need to expend extra time doing it.

The easy solution to this is to have a "Recent Off-site News" section right about the "Currently Streaming" tab on the forums page.

There wouldn't need to be a double post on the tweeter's end as it would show up here automatically (and I've seen other sites do this, so I know it's within the realm of possibility) and honestly, since it would be right there on the right side of the page before you even enter a thread, everyone would see it. Not just the twitter users.

I just made another post about this in another thread like 5 seconds ago, so I'm just going to quote myself:

There was a post a while back from kasper explaining that Squad exercises many channels of media outlets, but that's not the problem here. If Squad wants a twitter and a reddit, that OK. The problem is that none of the info that gets posted over there is posted here. 100% of the time it's been some average user starting a thread saying "Maxmaps made a tweet. Discuss."

And that's the problem.

Here's the problem that you're not seeing. They DO make official posts here. What people are harping over aren't official announcements! Maxmaps, or anyone letting something slip somewhere else, Twitter, Reddit, or at some diner in Mexico City, it doesn't matter. Those aren't official announcements. So, yes, things can end up coming out there first, because that might be where they happen to be chatting/writing/whatever when they go ahead and let something slip out. When it does come time for an official announcement though, it is ALWAYS posted here.

What you people are essentially demanding is that KSP guys only ever hang out on the forums, and only ever talk here about KSP and that is simply juvenile and not realistic. They aren't just faceless game developers, they're people, with hopes and dreams and car insurance payments. Quit ragging on them for no good reason.

Considering how quickly everything ends up back here anyway, I don't really care. It kind of mystifies me why people are throwing full on tantrums over what could at WORST be construed as a "minor irritation". How about people adopt a more Kerbal way of thinking and just chill out? Nobody is doing anything to you to cause you to freak out, you're doing it to yourself.

Edited by Hanuman
Fixing an errant comma.

Here's the problem that you're not seeing. They DO make official posts here. What people are harping over aren't official announcements! Maxmaps, or anyone letting something slip somewhere else, Twitter, Reddit, or at some diner in Mexico City, it doesn't matter. Those aren't official announcements. So, yes, things can end up coming out there first, because that might be where they happen to be chatting/writing/whatever when they go ahead and let something slip out. When it does come time for an official announcement though, it is ALWAYS posted here.

What you people are essentially demanding is that KSP guys only ever hang out on the forums, and only ever talk here about KSP and that is simply juvenile and not realistic. They aren't just faceless game developers, they're people, with hopes and dreams and car insurance payments. Quit ragging on them for no good reason.

Considering how quickly everything ends up back here anyway, I don't really care. It kind of mystifies me why people are throwing full on tantrums over what could at WORST be construed as a "minor irritation". How about people adopt a more Kerbal way of thinking and just chill out? Nobody is doing anything to you, to cause you to freak out, you're doing it to yourself.

They are holding a screenshot contest on Twitter right now.. apparently for some prize. Your telling me that that isn't official, just a slip from Maxmaps? Even if they wanted to only use twitter for submissions the absolute least they could do is come tell us to go to twitter and participate.

Hey remember that whole Steam 64 bit thing? You know where there was fourteen pages without a single official word from Squad about the issue? You know where they actually did address it on a forum for a completely different program? My theory is that these forums here are for us to talk to amongst ourselves.

They are holding a screenshot contest on Twitter right now.. apparently for some prize. Your telling me that that isn't official, just a slip from Maxmaps? Even if they wanted to only use twitter for submissions the absolute least they could do is come tell us to go to twitter and participate.

An "official" contest for Twitter followers? You know that's different from an official announcement, right? Second, you know that they have twitter accounts, you know that they occasionally hold contests for followers of said twitter accounts, so what more info do you need? An announcement here each and every time they decide to do a little something fun somewhere else? A carbon copy for every post they make back on the forums?

I get the frustration of something juicy coming out on reddit or wherever, and then finding out here after, or not having heard about it at all. I do, I totally understand that. What I don't understand is how a minor frustration over an unintended consequence, is something to be this upset over. It's not. This isn't even a first world problem. It's not even a problem at all. It boils down to "You know these other outlets exist, you know where they are, you can join yourself if you want to partake, or not." .

You can't legitimately complain about missing something that you don't partake in. Full stop.

An "official" contest for Twitter followers? You know that's different from an official announcement, right? Second, you know that they have twitter accounts, you know that they occasionally hold contests for followers of said twitter accounts, so what more info do you need? An announcement here each and every time they decide to do a little something fun somewhere else? A carbon copy for every post they make back on the forums?

I get the frustration of something juicy coming out on reddit or wherever, and then finding out here after, or not having heard about it at all. I do, I totally understand that. What I don't understand is how a minor frustration over an unintended consequence, is something to be this upset over. It's not. This isn't even a first world problem. It's not even a problem at all. It boils down to "You know these other outlets exist, you know where they are, you can join yourself if you want to partake, or not." .

You can't legitimately complain about missing something that you don't partake in. Full stop.

Incorrect. It's an official contest for the community. Not "just for twitter users."

They're alienating huge parts of their fanbase by saying "look at this awesome thing you'll all like!" and then only telling one arm of said fanbase.

I need to step away from this topic now, as I'm beginning to get quite angry. So I'll leave it with this:

If I've been locked in a room with ten people for weeks and I discover the door isn't actually locked, do I tell 3 people, leave with them and let the others figure it out, or do I tell everyone and we all leave at once? (ignore the stupidity of not knowing a locked door is unlocked for weeks)

Hey remember that whole Steam 64 bit thing? You know where there was fourteen pages without a single official word from Squad about the issue? You know where they actually did address it on a forum for a completely different program? My theory is that these forums here are for us to talk to amongst ourselves.

(emphasis mine)

BUT THEY ARE! We are the community, without them. They just host it for us, but we could just as well be on, Kraken forbid, 4chan, and we'd be pretty much the same.

They treat us like faceless consumers? Well, fine, I paid for my game already, and I'll enjoy it like a burger: SQUAD just (half) cooked it, that doesn't make them special or my friends in any way.

I'm here because of you guys :P

- - - Updated - - -

I need to step away from this topic now, as I'm beginning to get quite angry.

My suggestion? Step away from SQUAD. Backup your .90 like me. Check the forums for new cool mods, new cool challenges, new cool people, whatever. If 1.0 is better than 0.90, fine, if it isn't, well... money already spent on a not so tasty burger, happens sometimes. Just remember to put your thumbs down so more people don's spend theirs.

All I know is I just installed Papers Please, could just as well become my latest addiction. The homeless guy with a goddamn handdrawn passport? Friggin' priceless.

My suggestion? Step away from SQUAD. Backup your .90 like me. Check the forums for new cool mods, new cool challenges, new cool people, whatever. If 1.0 is better than 0.90, fine, if it isn't, well... money already spent on a not so tasty burger, happens sometimes. Just remember to put your thumbs down so more people don's spend theirs.

All I know is I just installed Papers Please, could just as well become my latest addiction. The homeless guy with a goddamn handdrawn passport? Friggin' priceless.

Nothing is going to make me stop playing this game, or even make me play 0.90 instead of 1.0. It's just disappointing that Squad doesn't seem to care about their customers like they used to. I guess things change. In any case, I'm stepping away from this conversation as well.

Incorrect. It's an official contest for the community. Not "just for twitter users."

They're alienating huge parts of their fanbase by saying "look at this awesome thing you'll all like!" and then only telling one arm of said fanbase.

I need to step away from this topic now, as I'm beginning to get quite angry. So I'll leave it with this:

If I've been locked in a room with ten people for weeks and I discover the door isn't actually locked, do I tell 3 people, leave with them and let the others figure it out, or do I tell everyone and we all leave at once? (ignore the stupidity of not knowing a locked door is unlocked for weeks)

A contest announced on Twitter, promoted on Twitter, and ran on Twitter, sure sounds like a contest for Twitter followers to me. I mean, I'm not really sure how that could be MORE of contest for Twitter followers. Perhaps if they captured some sort of blue bird.

They aren't alienating anyone, people are alienating themselves by being torches and pitchforks crazy over an imaginary slight. I'll say it again:

"You can't legitimately complain about missing something that you don't partake in."

Metaphors are bad, and should make people feel bad. That said, you aren't "locked" anywhere. Nobody but yourself is keeping you from participating in Twitter or Reddit discussions. If you want the perks, then join in. It is just that simple.

A contest announced on Twitter, promoted on Twitter, and ran on Twitter, sure sounds like a contest for Twitter followers to me. I mean, I'm not really sure how that could be MORE of contest for Twitter followers. Perhaps if they captured some sort of blue bird.

They aren't alienating anyone, people are alienating themselves by being torches and pitchforks crazy over an imaginary slight. I'll say it again:

"You can't legitimately complain about missing something that you don't partake in."

Metaphors are bad, and should make people feel bad. That said, you aren't "locked" anywhere. Nobody but yourself is keeping you from participating in Twitter or Reddit discussions. If you want the perks, then join in. It is just that simple.

Whoa, so you are saying that we should have to create a Twitter or ,heaven forbid, a reddit account? No. Some people here intend on using the Official forums for any Official competitions.

Boxley I would greatly appreciate it if you wrote "Avera9eJoe" in font size 1 near my "the hype train never ends" vid. Put credit were credit is due. ;) I'm even MOAR hyped for this update then I was for .23!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.