Squad's next project

K3RBAL KOL4

With KSP 1.0 on the horizon does Squad have any other projects aside from occasional patches/fixes to 1.0?

I was watching a documentary on Netflix, one where James Cameron takes a 1-man sub to the bottom of of the supposed lowest trench in the ocean. They go from concept to design and construction of the sub and I thought this should be Squad's next project: Kerbal Marine Program (or some variant, Kerbal Sub Program, Kerbal Oceanic Program). Designing and launching ships/subs to various depths at various locations looking for various science/data.

As KSP has a secondary Space Plane program, this project would have a surface craft program where you design seaworthy ships that act as both command vessels and launch platforms for the underwater (primary) vessels.

Too much to ask?

They'll probably stay focused on KSP for quite a while, considering there's still multiplayer coming out in the future, and hopefully more planets and stuff like that. I wouldn't mind paying for some DLC, if it's really good.

As for submarines, hey, that could actually work as a DLC. Not really as a full game, I think, considering how small subject it is compared to space.

What I heard during the last Kerbal Kon (if memory serves, it was then that I heard this) is that after KSP gets to a stable, complete release they'll switch over and work on another project, then come back to KSP with some expansions and whatnot. This was only speculation on the part of SQUAD itself though, and was fortunately never really set in stone.

I think that if they move much of the team to something else right after KSP is done it could cause a fair bit of harm to the game, so hopefully they'll have some dedicated people working on expansion content while some of the other guys go and work on something new.

I think they should make another space-exploration game set in the Kerbal universe, except on an interstellar scale. Being a separate game, Squad would have no limits on taking a few steps into the theoretical neighborhood. Honestly, Kerbals a century or two later with all sorts of futuristic tech would be mind-blowing to me.

As for submarines, hey, that could actually work as a DLC. Not really as a full game, I think, considering how small subject it is compared to space.

but you can use spaceplane parts in the VAB, and rocket parts in the SPH. so you can send the submarines to space.

SQUADs next project will probably be something to do with marketing

Since they're a media/pr company

As for their game dev side, there's been a lot of speculation as to money, and other projects, and if they would let Harv do another one, but really it comes down to this: Will the current dev team propose something? It literally all depends on whether these guys want to do another thing. And maybe they don't. Maybe this was HarV's one big dream and once it's done in 50 years he'll step down and never design again. SQUAD will crumble into dust and slowly KSP will fade away from relevance on the augmented reality platform is was eventually ported to. Our grandchildren will scoff at our equivalent of 16-bit as we forever stack fuel on engine, engine on separator, trying to finally build a rocket that can get to the Gilly and back in one piece, darnit. They will laugh as we spiral into madness. MADNESS! HOW CAN WE GET THIS MUCH DELTA V?! WHERE IS THE LAGRANGE POINT?! WHY CAN THE KRAKEN SEE MY SOUL?! WHY?!!

But probably not.

SQUADs next project will probably be something to do with marketing

Since they're a media/pr company

As for their game dev side, there's been a lot of speculation as to money, and other projects, and if they would let Harv do another one, but really it comes down to this: Will the current dev team propose something? It literally all depends on whether these guys want to do another thing. And maybe they don't. Maybe this was HarV's one big dream and once it's done in 50 years he'll step down and never design again. SQUAD will crumble into dust and slowly KSP will fade away from relevance on the augmented reality platform is was eventually ported to. Our grandchildren will scoff at our equivalent of 16-bit as we forever stack fuel on engine, engine on separator, trying to finally build a rocket that can get to the Gilly and back in one piece, darnit. They will laugh as we spiral into madness. MADNESS! HOW CAN WE GET THIS MUCH DELTA V?! WHERE IS THE LAGRANGE POINT?! WHY CAN THE KRAKEN SEE MY SOUL?! WHY?!!

But probably not.

Wow. a little dramatic there...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.