Proper Fairings ASAP

How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?  

644 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?

• Confetti style
    • Clamshell style
    • Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)
    • Do not care/unimportant

YES:

345973main_separation-20090512-516.jpg

NO:

c4Jub1i.jpg

Addendum

Fairing mass should also be contained in the actual parts that separate, not just the base (which is currently the case). Ditching fairings should increase your usable dV because you're carrying less mass.

Addendum 2

Engines should not be prevented from being activated while "stowed." Rocket engines work in a vacuum, so there's no reason they can't work inside a fairing. There is no good reason for this engine behavior, and it causes more bugs than necessary.

Addendum 3

Fairing mass should be reasonable, and not so heavy that they hurt dV more than they help.

Edited by GusTurbo

Thanks. While I don't necessarily believe we will be forced to have fairings that separate like a too-vigorously-opened bag of chips, I really hope it's not what we get. I would be OK with it being an option though, because hey, why not.

I will admit, I really like the look of those fairings separating into bits. I do however very much hope it will be possible to fix this behaviour. If we hate it enough Squad might decided to make them separate together.

I think the problem here is that the each bit of a fiaring is its own part, unlike Procedural Fairings where each part is a whole part.

Heres the thing for me. When I stage the nuke engine and the 2 bits of outer shell fly away, twirling slowly like the last two leaves from a maple tree in November, It looks awesome, and I feel cool.

But If I pop the fairing off of my new satellite, and It looks like I'm surrounded by dozens of schoolkids failed paper-mache projects, I dont think I will feel so cool.

Edited by r4pt0r

Heres the thing for me. When I stage the nuke engine and the 2 bits of outer shell fly away, twirling slowly like the last two leaves from a maple tree in November, It looks awesome, and I feel cool.

But If I pop the fairing off of my new satellite, and It looks like I'm surrounded by dozens of schoolkids failed paper-mache projects, I don't think I will feel so cool.

Aww now look what you've done. You've made all the Kerbdergardeners cry.

The good news is this is only a beta version. Like good sane developers, Squad will test all these new features with their userbase before implementing this pretty much untested with the public, so they'll have it right for their 1.0 version, right?

Guys? Guys?

I guess it's time for the next grassroots forum movement. Can anyone think of a clever avatar to get the idea across? :P

- - - Updated - - -

The good news is this is only a beta version. Like good sane developers, Squad will test all these new features with their userbase before implementing this pretty much untested with the public, so they'll have it right for their 1.0 version, right?

Guys? Guys?

We saved the Round 8, so we know they listen to some feedback.

I guess it's time for the next grassroots forum movement. Can anyone think of a clever avatar to get the idea across? :P

- - - Updated - - -

We saved the Round 8, so we know they listen to some feedback.

New signatures?

Al9Lvnk.jpg

Hey, not bad. I need to save a backup of my current signature.

I can forgo spreading ancient quotes and wisdom for a bit, but I know others have many MANY links in their signatures and that might be a pain changing it. thought it would be too hard to get the point across in a 64x64pixel square though lol.

otherwise resize/trim it as you see fit.

Guys? Guys?

I'm not sure if this was a joke or not not because I'm kinda new here. But are you aware that 1.0 is at most 2 weeks away, right?

Anyway, I agree with the guy that made the "SQUAD bakes us a cake" metaphor. Sometimes people will forget about the good things and focus on the bad ones. Maybe the fairings decouple will work like that because of the procedural system. In the end of the day, procedural fairings are a good thing. Better than none.

Now some people may say "shut up you were bitc**** about the ROUND8 tank. Why can't I bitc* about the fairings?!" I'm not being hypocritical here. The ROUND8 is a well known part and we all know how much we would miss it if it was to be replaced. But we didn't even got to see by ourselves the benefits of this new mouse-guided-procedural-fairing thing and people are already complaining about it as it was the worst.

The analogies in this thread are priceless :D

I agree that the 2 part fairing shells look better, more epic, and most of all more sensible. But I wouldn't expect another movement to blossom in the same way as it did for the ROUND-8.

I just hope that the fairings won't add too much to the part count.

The KSP community reminds me of this bit sometimes.

Squad: Hey guys! We baked you a cake!

KSP Forum: BUT WE WANTED WHIPPED CREAM. WHERE IS OUR WHIPPED CREAM?!?

That guy in the video reminds me a bit of.. well... me.

It's more like:

Squad: Hey! We got your chocolate cake instead of your vanilla.

KSP Forum: A chocolate cake? Why not Vanilla? Why not both?

Honestly I didn't understand. The ROUND8 wasn't redundant, because it was a small 1.25 meter tank. You could squeeze a bit more Dv in your design sometimes. Without having to go to 0.625 meter tanks.

But If I pop the fairing off of my new satellite, and It looks like I'm surrounded by dozens of schoolkids failed paper-mache projects, I dont think I will feel so cool.

I laughed so hard at this.

I agree. but if each segment had its own staging you could just stage the bottom one (root part) first. the segments further up would float away still attached to the bottom one.

but I lold when I saw that picture.

reminded me of when homer opens a bag of potato chips in space.

yOjzTQb.png

careful! they're ruffled!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.