V 1.0 Stock fairing seperation.

Majorjim!

Hi all,

As some of you may have seen Squad have shown more pics of the stock fairings. Aaaaaand.. it appears that they will not separate as halves or quarters but like this instead:

c4Jub1i.jpg

Now, I am shocked by this. Considering that this is not how fairings release at all IRL. Also nobody who spent time and effort making stock part fairings has ever made them release this way.. And nor has any mod had fairings release like this.

If this is true it is a terrible decision by Squad. They need to tell us if this is the case or not.

I for one cannot believe they could make something so crappy.

Does anyone have any new info on this??

MJ

I think I remember them mentioning you can choose and select at which seam the fairings fall apart. This just might be a glamour picture of all of them falling apart, because it looks good.

Hmm, really? Where did you hear this?

I think it was on one of the Devnote Tuesdays, around the time they announced the fairings. A couple months back? Not sure, you would have to go back and check them.

Ok thanks I will take a look.

If Squad could clarify this it would clear up a lot of confusion.

I'm going to say the same as in 'the other thread': You're jumping to conclusions based on a single image. The game is under continuous development, the final version might be completely different. Bet glad you even GET fairings.

No no, Tex.

We're not getting heat shields*. The fairings are all going to separate like this².

No. We should all panic without knowing all the facts.

* Yes, we are.

² They might do, but HarvesteR was still looking into the separation, last he mentioned them in the dev notes.

Who's talking about heat shields here? I certainly wasn't.

No, but this is yet another panic job much like the heat shield thread was.

Just because it's not mentioned, we're not getting it. Things can't change. Things can't be added. If it isn't mentioned now, we're never getting it.

No, you're not getting my point. Things CAN change, things WILL change.

We were shown a ugly barn as tier 0 VAB. We did not get an ugly barn. Now the barn will be back.

We were shown resource mining. We did not get resource mining. Now we're getting resource mining again.

We were told the Round-8 was going to be repurposed as Xenon tank. Now it stays a regular fuel tank.

You simply CAN NOT base your conclusions on just one random image.

No, but this is yet another panic job much like the heat shield thread was.

Just because it's not mentioned, we're not getting it. Things can't change. Things can't be added. If it isn't mentioned now, we're never getting it.

Ted has said that yes this is how they currently release. Why they even had this release method at all, and showed it it very worrying indeed.

Its them testing us. Can we get away with this? NO Squad, you cannot. Make them properly or not at all.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you're not getting my point. Things CAN change, things WILL change.

We were shown a ugly barn as tier 0 VAB. We did not get an ugly barn. Now the barn will be back.

We were shown resource mining. We did not get resource mining. Now we're getting resource mining again.

We were told the Round-8 was going to be repurposed as Xenon tank. Now it stays a regular fuel tank.

You simply CAN NOT base your conclusions on just one random image.

Mate the reason why those things where changed was because of threads like this one!!!! Us saying, NO it's not good enough.

If we remain silent nothing changes.

:rolleyes:

I bet all the fairing parts are treated like a decoupler, and you can choose which ones decouple. Still, I think I'll keep PF after seeing this...lol!

Nope, Ted replied that this is how they currently release.. He also said that they may not in the release version. So, we are here saying that the currently shown separation method is not good enough. Not by a long way. That's how things get changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently.

Correct, as I said above this is us saying that we don't like it and we would prefer them to be proper fairings. He never said they wouldn't be proper either. So if we show them we are not happy it will expedite the change.

@Majorjim it's why we should first request a detailed explanation post about the fairings, before howling with the wolves :)

While the systems is currently like this, it seems they still work on it.

There's only one part, which is the fairing as a whole. Fairing panels aren't independent parts, they're sub-objects of the fairing until you deploy them. A fairing that is 10 sections high and divided into 4 sides would have 40 panels, yes. How many objects this will produce on deployment depends on how they group together (that's next up on my to-do list actually).

As for how the broken-off bits behave after deployment, they are handled as solar panel pieces or engine fairings. They aren't fully persistent (which is good if you like your framerates to be a two-digit number). That doesn't mean they aren't solid objects, however. Point away from face.

Cheers

Soo, an explanation post about how the fairings can be tweaked from squad could help clarify what's the current situation, and where they are headed on this - right now, we have not yet enough infos.

@Majorjim it's why we should first request a detailed explanation post about the fairings, before howling with the wolves :)

While the systems is currently like this, it seems they still work on it.

Soo, an explanation post about how the fairings can be tweaked from squad could help clarify what's the current situation, and where they are headed on this - right now, we have not yet enough infos.

Thanks for that mate.

I'm not 'howling' just expressing my displeasure at the current deployment method.

Well, in the good news the biggest issue you've found with 1.0 is just cosmetics... :D

I'm still in sceptics camp, but Squad did deliver so far, update is looking good.

I have to say I woulnd´t bother about unpretty fairing separation if this was an Alpha or Beta. But for 1.0 I, too, want it to look like in real life.

"it doesn't look like real life!" -- people describing a video game about little green people flying around an imaginary solar system

Sigh...

So why not just have a rockets fly upside down and use shampoo as a fuel...

2,000 posts!!!

Edited by Majorjim