V 1.0 Stock fairing seperation.

Majorjim!

I have to say I woulnd´t bother about unpretty fairing separation if this was an Alpha or Beta. But for 1.0 I, too, want it to look like in real life.

Yup. We just have to cross our fingers and wait sadly..

That seems as relevant as all of your other arguments.

Huh? Why so grumpy mate?

I'm making valid points about the game content that Squad have shown us so far. What could you have against that?

Edited by Majorjim
lol trolls...

Alright, that should be long enough, reopened.

Please keep the discussion civil. Fairings (and likely everything else in the update) are not set in stone until the release drops. Maybe they will change, maybe they won't. Either way, feedback from the community about the update is very much welcome, so long as it is constructive.

Disagree with the opinions of others if you like, but please don't descend into name calling or dismissiveness.

Huh? Please don't turn this into a flame war.. Stick to information please.

Could I add, 100% of this thread is speculation.

Speculation on what the underlying mechanisms are, speculation on what a dev means when they answer another person's question, speculation on how much of the system is fixed into acting a certain way.

Until we can answer what underlying mechanisms dictate the way the fairings split, then we still, really, know nothing.

I HOPE that we can choose how to detach fairings and that that screen was made just for "fun" to show all the possibility

We can but hope. I will try to keep speculation to a minimum and wait for v1 to hit. Which will be in under two weeks!!

But maybe the pic just wants to show us we can decide wich part of our fairing we want to decouple at a certain time - we could first drop the nose and let the satelite come out of the rocket in a fancy way, we could make potato chip explosion or we could decouple the all at the same time... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I can't speak to how this "grouping" functionality is coming along, but I can speak to why it is the way it is right now.

If you watched the squadcast, max mentioned that they are NOT doing procedural fairings. Procedural fairings is how most mods handle fairings. Using procedural fairings, you can create a fairing of almost any shape or size based on your payload. This isn't strictly realistic as the limits placed on these fairing boundries usually far exceed those that are realistically possible IRL (not meaning to criticize those mods, I've used several of them. Doing fairings procedurally has other benefits).

SO, since they aren't done procedurally, that means you must construct the fairing walls using fairing parts (with the same diameter options as fuel tanks, it seems). As such, these fairing walls will break apart like individual decouplers unless some kind of specific grouping code is written to piece them together into half or quarter sections (tougher than it sounds, given the range of ridiculous creations and uses players are capable of coming up with). I can't speak to the progress of that functionality, as this is the first I've heard of it, but at least this should shed some light on why it is the way it is (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Bonus: fairing-walls-as-parts allows some more emergent gameplay, allowing you to attach things to the walls (not sure why you would, but still) or use walls in ways they were not originally intended for, while keeping the idea of "fairings" reasonably grounded in reality.

*deep breath*

Note: Long time lurker, first time poster

But maybe the pic just wants to show us we can decide wich part of our fairing we want to decouple at a certain time - we could first drop the nose and let the satelite come out of the rocket in a fancy way, we could make potato chip explosion or we could decouple the all at the same time... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Yeah, exactly, we don't even know all the facts yet.

SO, since they aren't done procedurally, that means you must construct the fairing walls using fairing parts (with the same diameter options as fuel tanks, it seems). As such, these fairing walls will break apart like individual decouplers unless some kind of specific grouping code is written to piece them together into half or quarter sections (tougher than it sounds, given the range of ridiculous creations and uses players are capable of coming up with). I can't speak to the progress of that functionality, as this is the first I've heard of it, but at least this should shed some light on why it is the way it is (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

It's not all that difficult. KW fairings tie the pieces together into halfs that open clamshell-style. The all-at-once approach may have to due with how they are handling separation. From the way the parts are moving it looks like each is getting the same push in the same general direction, all outwards with a cone on top going upwards. So they are probably treating each part individually --> not like KW.

Also, if I'm correct about each part getting the same force, then it looks like each part has a different mass. This would explain why the smaller parts seem to be traveling around double the speed of the larger ones. It would also be a nod towards realism, but could make separation of combinations (kw-style) awkward due to rotation.

I can't speak to how this "grouping" functionality is coming along, but I can speak to why it is the way it is right now.

If you watched the squadcast, max mentioned that they are NOT doing procedural fairings. Procedural fairings is how most mods handle fairings. Using procedural fairings, you can create a fairing of almost any shape or size based on your payload. This isn't strictly realistic as the limits placed on these fairing boundries usually far exceed those that are realistically possible IRL (not meaning to criticize those mods, I've used several of them. Doing fairings procedurally has other benefits).

Bonus: fairing-walls-as-parts allows some more emergent gameplay, allowing you to attach things to the walls (not sure why you would, but still) or use walls in ways they were not originally intended for, while keeping the idea of "fairings" reasonably grounded in reality.

*deep breath*

I did not get the impression that they were not procedural. For that matter, procedural doesn't necessarily mean unlimited in size and shape, you can have parts be procedurally generated within constraints.

*deep breath*

no actually they said that fairings will be procedural- you will set up anchors for them and they will be shaped around it- the separation is between the anchors. still i would prefer if they would only detach at the top and bottom and not at every anchor.

SEEM! NOT SEEN! oops.

There is an edit button on your own posts.

- - - Updated - - -

no actually they said that fairings will be procedural- you will set up anchors for them and they will be shaped around it- the separation is between the anchors. still i would prefer if they would only detach at the top and bottom and not at every anchor.

The way fairings work is that you click and the fairings are created at the mouse click areas, and you click around to enclose the thing.

It's not all that difficult. KW fairings tie the pieces together into halfs that open clamshell-style. The all-at-once approach may have to due with how they are handling separation. From the way the parts are moving it looks like each is getting the same push in the same general direction, all outwards with a cone on top going upwards. So they are probably treating each part individually --> not like KW...

Last time I used KW, you plopped a fairing "base" down, which had several attachment nodes hovering in the air above it, and you constructed your fairing by attaching the walls to these nodes. By doing it that way, you don't have to do many calculations to determine how to "stitch" parts together in order to break them apart in halves or quarters. I don't expect squad to go that route (pre-determined attachment nodes which are tied to a base). I'm not saying it's impossible or even terribly hard to do, just that it's an extra thing that would need to be done to an already-very-large update.

I did not get the impression that they were not procedural. For that matter, procedural doesn't necessarily mean unlimited in size and shape, you can have parts be procedurally generated within constraints.

I'm 99% sure he specifically said they were not going to be procedural. And you are certainly correct about procedural fairings still having boundaries. I didn't mean to imply that they had no constraints at all on size and shape. Perhaps I should have worded better.

Honestly I think we should just wait and see how it works. That or SQUAD releases a screenshot with them separating in another configuration, which will clear things up.

I do agree that the exploding fairing method looks rather messy.