V 1.0 Stock fairing seperation.

Majorjim!

But most people learn from their silly and disappointing past.

[snip]

Snark? :wink:

You want to cite those silly and disappointing things?

And, you know, maybe this IS how kerbal fairings work. It's about how the devs feel their world calls for these fairings to work, and to be completely fair, as has been pointed out in this thread before, we're speculating purely on a single picture. That's not really.... much of anything.

EDIT:

From Harv: [snippity] A fairing that is 10 sections high and divided into 4 sides would have 40 panels, yes. How many objects this will produce on deployment depends on how they group together (that's next up on my to-do list actually) [/snippity].

Looking at this, it makes me think he still has some work to do with fairing seperation, specifically what it looks like (explosion versus clamshell). So just, reserve judgement, yeah?

Edited by jlo96

While I'm certainly not happy with how the fairings separate based on that single image we have, I'm still happy we're getting fairings to begin with. In all honesty, I probably could live with fairings separating like that (I could always mentally justify it that's how Kerbals do things), but it would be nice if they separated like real life fairings, too.

Here's to hoping the Devs clarify the issue in the next Dev Notes! :)

You want to cite those silly and disappointing things?

And, you know, maybe this IS how kerbal fairings work. It's about how the devs feel their world calls for these fairings to work, and to be completely fair, as has been pointed out in this thread before, we're speculating purely on a single picture. That's not really.... much of anything.

Common we all know the reason KSP is so great is due to its 'fairly realistic' simulation of things, thats why its interesting, satisfying and fun. the whole kerbal thing is a side gimmick, a good one, i think its fine and fun. but its far from the point. So thatd be a pretty dum excuse to have the fairings behave like that. lol and i hope the picture was misleading and in reality they've thought the fairings though properly.

I know it matters to some people, and I'm not going to belittle that at all. That said and just speaking for myself, I think that if I ever found myself caring what fairings looked like after they separated, I'd probably make an appointment with a doctor to either get the part that cares about it cut out or get some kind of medication to treat it.

I know it matters to some people, and I'm not going to belittle that at all. That said and just speaking for myself, I think that if I ever found myself caring what fairings looked like after they separated, I'd probably make an appointment with a doctor to either get the part that cares about it cut out or get some kind of medication to treat it.

Haha... If this isn't belittling, I'd hate to see what is! ;)

I'm personally not wound- up about it. I would prefer to have smexy clamshell fairings, but it won't break my game experience if I don't get it. I don't consider caring about it a medical condition.

Best,

-Slashy

Oh, no, this is EXACTLY how Kerbals would design their fairings. Maximal debris means maximal explosions, which is only the Kerbal way.

It's not how they make any of their other parts. They're clearly very sophisticated. Look at the Mk3 cargo bay, for example.

There is no need to be rude. Real life fairing separation looks cool, and it would be a missed opportunity if we were unable to recreate that in KSP.

Edited by GusTurbo

It is my guess that the photo presented is simply a glamour shot showing the different pieces. (FASA and NovaPunch fairings separate as shown in the pic) It is my understanding that the fairings are semi-procedural in that they can be shaped with the Mouse, meaning if you would like fairing halves then you would have only two pieces. But if you want more sections they would decouple as shown.

From the 4-11 Squadcast (Curtesy of ObsessedWithKSP)

The way you build them is with your mouse - click on fairing base, it follows the mouse around. Click to make an 'anchor', move the mouse to somewhere else, click again to anchor again etc.It's like join the dots, but you decide on where the dots are. But wait, weren't the fairings parts? How can I fiddle with the insides after the fairings are set?

In the grand-scheme of things how fairings separate isn't important, though clamshell>confetti. If I've learned anything from the barn and round8 is that if the community complains enough about something, SQUAD will fix it. So (respectfully) voice your opinions and hope for the best.

There is no need to be rude. Real life fairing separation looks cool, and it would be a missed opportunity if we were unable to recreate that in KSP.

Oh, I'm not being rude, man. I know this kind of thing matters to some people, and that's great. People are all different, after all. I'm just putting my perspective out there is all. If it matters to people, and matters to enough people to then make it matter to SQUAD, then yeah, they should see if they can change it.

Me? I don't care if it's 2 pieces or confetti or what, and just can't imagine a scenario in which it WOULD matter to me.

Oh, I'm not being rude, man. I know this kind of thing matters to some people, and that's great. People are all different, after all. I'm just putting my perspective out there is all. If it matters to people, and matters to enough people to then make it matter to SQUAD, then yeah, they should see if they can change it.

Me? I don't care if it's 2 pieces or confetti or what, and just can't imagine a scenario in which it WOULD matter to me.

I think most people agree a normal realistic fairing is the way to go... obviously a silly fairing isnt going to compromise the entire game but thats not an argument to not correct things. Also its a fairly simple change. hence fairly easy to get right so no reason not to.

Fairings was one of the things that made me very hyped. Because now I don't need to see the ugly probe I slapped onto a lifter. But the thing that got my attention was fairing+heat shield. Or different textured fairings too. Plus I can strap a kerbal to a fairing to be ejected with the fairing into space :D.

I admit i cringed a bit when i saw the seperation pic - but will reserve judgement until release. If i can at least attached struts to the inside of the fairing pieces to join them up il be content with that.

I just want to point out that it's not like squad is one person nor are they insane. If this many people don't like how they separate in that pic, I'm sure someone from squad brought it up.

EDIT: considering the community saved the lifesaver, they will definitely "fix" fairing deployment.

Edited by SelectHalfling0

First and foremost. KSP is a game. And guess what? Traditional fairing separation is BORING compared to the confetti. So in the remote chance that you can't make traditional fairings. Just install the mod. It is well maintained. (And please don't bellyache about ram. If that small a mod is what breaks the camels back. Your KSP is likely already crashing from the slightest leak)

SQUAD needs to focus on bug fixing whatever the experimental team finds. So they can get 1.0 out and (hopefully) start porting to Unity 5 for 1.1 not redesign the fairing system because people can't stand anything else being game vs realistic.

The heck? Why would I want to initiate Kessler Syndrome every time I make it to orbit?

Separating to two pieces is perfectly fine, thank you very much...

Why are you separating in orbit? Separation happens when the drag is no longer a significant factor at altitude. Not in orbit where they are nothing but wasted mass.

Edited by AbhChallenger
add quote

Hmm, really? Where did you hear this?

If true, it's best for us not to get angry. A lot of work went into these. If there is a problem on release, then make bridges, not flamethrowers. :)

PS, as others have posted above. This is AWESOME. The fairings also allow interstages (which I was wondering about especially for inline storage options instead of ejection fairings). So Squad has a really good head and does clever things... they are however human, and we are all different and even make mistakes on occasion.

Edited by Technical Ben

The heck? Why would I want to initiate Kessler Syndrome every time I make it to orbit?

Separating to two pieces is perfectly fine, thank you very much...

I believe Ted mentioned the debris from fairing separation is not persistent, i.e. it disappears once it leaves physics range. You might encounter brief Kessler syndrome around the vessel, but you won't be filling up LKO with it.

Why are you separating in orbit? Separation happens when the drag is no longer a significant factor at altitude. Not in orbit where they are nothing but wasted mass.

I've been wondering the same. Don't people usually drop fairings while still suborbital?

I don't want the nose to blow up in a dozen pieces tho. That looks terrible.

I've been wondering the same. Don't people usually drop fairings while still suborbital?

I don't want the nose to blow up in a dozen pieces tho. That looks terrible.

Some people wait till the vessel is orbital to ditch the fairings. The disadvantage is that you're carrying more mass to orbit (not a lot, but still some), and the advantage is that you have more control over how the fairings come off because after you're in orbit, you don't need to keep thrusting.

Dropping these fairings suborbital is going pose some issues because at this point the vessel is not done thrusting into orbit. When you blow these confetti fairings, you're generating a whole cloud of crap you may have to thrust through. The increased number of discarded fairing parts makes it more likely you will strike one of the fairing parts when you do initiate your orbital injection. With a clamshell fairing, you can start a spin and the fairings will fly away in a very predictable way. These confetti fairings are going to decouple in a much less predictable way, making thrusting away later much less comfortable.