V 1.0 Stock fairing seperation.

Majorjim!

Here's to hoping the Devs clarify the issue in the next Dev Notes! :)

to be fair, this pretty much is the what is requested in the original post:

If this is true it is a terrible decision by Squad. They need to tell us if this is the case or not.

- - - Updated - - -

That's assuming that they blow off very slowly. Instead of very sudden.

A slow deployment would actually be worse for the reason I mentioned above (thrusting through a debris cloud) than a fast deployment.

I just had a thought. I don't know if someone has mentioned this before but the nose cone comes off as a separate part too..

That would be great! Then we could run into the nose cone every time we jettison our fairings while burning! In all seriousness, I would rather not have to change my heading before fairing jettison.

That would be great! Then we could run into the nose cone every time we jettison our fairings while burning! In all seriousness, I would rather not have to change my heading before fairing jettison.

You could just jettison while you're coasting in atmosphere or stick a pair of separatrons on it.

Really though, if you're in space, it's going to have the same velocity as you plus whatever deltaV the decoupler explosives give it.

You could just jettison while you're coasting in atmosphere or stick a pair of separatrons on it.

Really though, if you're in space, it's going to have the same velocity as you plus whatever deltaV the decoupler explosives give it.

Not if you jettison while your engines are burning. If the nose cone is a single part, it's going to go straight out in front of you.

You could just jettison while you're coasting in atmosphere or stick a pair of separatrons on it..

that's one of the things we don't know about those new fairings :) will we be able to surface attach things to them ? :) that would be really great if it's possible :)

The fairing in the picture might have been deliberately built to separate in this way to demonstrate how flexible the fairing system is. In other words, the fairing could be being separated in a deliberately overly complicated way to show off the fact that you can build and separate the fairing that way if you want to!

If this is the case, then making a picture of a "potato chips" separation would be a cool way to show off the new fairing parts! :cool:

It seems improbable to me that Squad haven't taken the time to do some basic research into how IRL fairings look and how they separate. :confused: Therefore, if Squad have implemented unrealistic fairings, it would most likely be because there's a technical (and probably Unity related and therefore difficult to fix) reason why they can't make fairings work the way they'd prefer. If this was the case, then we would have heard from Squad about this by now. Technical problems of this kind are mentioned at length in the weekly devnotes, and fairings have been in the works for a while now.

It also seems improbable that the numerous testers that Squad are relying on to get 1.0 through experimentals would make such a basic mistake. Someone should have said "Hey! Fairings on real rockets don't separate that way!" :confused:

There are still a lot of things we don't know about 1.0. I'm optimistic that once the wider KSP community have a chance to finally get our hands on 1.0, that Squad will listen to our feedback, as the recent case of the endangered toroidal tank has aptly demonstrated!

Honestly, it's not that I'm not sympathetic, but don't you think Squad would notice during QA that the fairings are blowing up rockets and fix it if it's an issue?

And also we're talking about the KSP community. You think we can't come up with a workaround if it's an issue?

I still say let's wait for more info before getting all up in arms over this.

Not terribly popular, I know...

Best,

-Slashy

Honestly, it's not that I'm not sympathetic, but don't you think Squad would notice during QA that the fairings are blowing up rockets and fix it if it's an issue?

You mean like the decoupler bug? *cough* By the way, Maxmaps mentioned that they might have fixed that bug in 1.0, but that he had to check on it and he'd get back to us later.... still waitin'.

I still say let's wait for more info before getting all up in arms over this.

That's probably the best course. For all we know, the jettisoned parts may not be able to damage the rocket at all, for instance.

The worst case scenario (barring ship-killing bugs that cause the ship to explode for no reason when you hit the jettison button or other insanity) is that you have to take fairings up into space with you, and decouple 'em there and gently push past 'em (or timewarp past 'em).

I know it matters to some people, and I'm not going to belittle that at all. That said and just speaking for myself, I think that if I ever found myself caring what fairings looked like after they separated, I'd probably make an appointment with a doctor to either get the part that cares about it cut out or get some kind of medication to treat it.

Being ocd is good, being very ocd is VERY good.

And/or steal my avatar.

You mean like the decoupler bug? *cough* By the way, Maxmaps mentioned that they might have fixed that bug in 1.0, but that he had to check on it and he'd get back to us later.... still waitin'.

Touche! :cool:

As i understand it, that one has been especially difficult to sort out. But by your own admission, they have been trying to kill it.

My point is they're probably not going to introduce fairings that make it impossible to get your payload into orbit intact and then just release it that way, thus killing their proverbial golden goose. After all, a space program simulator game that causes your rockets to self- destruct when you release the shrouds would be bad for sales.

MGMT: "How's it going?"

QA: "Every time we get to shroud release, the shroud takes out our rockets"

MGMT: "Close enough! Let's ship!"

^ Probably not how things work there

Best,

-Slashy

I just realized this is one picture that all our assumptions are based off of.

Not exactly, there's been feedback from the devs indicating that it does in fact currently separate the overly enthusiastic way. There's been various feedback as to whether it will do that in the release version. No one will say which way it will work at release, just how it works now. The impression I get is that they'd like it to split in the cleaner manner, but they're not certain that they've got time to make it work that way, so they're not committing to doing so by 1.0.