Early access games are they worth it?

Cloakedwand72

In my opinion most early access games are not worth it. You do not get nearly as much fun as playing a game from early alpha to release as starting to play on release. My only exceptions are KSP and space engineers.
Do you know any good modern game that is complete and non hardcore?

depends on how close they are to completing it ex ksp 0.12 not very good ksp 0.9 very good

Man, I landed on the Mun so much in 0.12. It was good, just not as good as later versions (plus it was free at the time).

0.9 I never played, was before my time.

Paid-for early access is a dice roll, you can never be sure the game will be completed or if you will still like it by then.

Generally I've found early access to be a disappointment. Many games don't even get finished. (I had the misfortune of buying Stomping Land :( )

However KSP and Minecraft have been notable exceptions. Both are updated regularly and consistently worked on. Minecraft not so much anymore but it had a good run.

Do you know any good modern game that is complete and non hardcore?

Yes.I am in to Action FPS RPG and stealth and sandbox open world games and vehicle themed games like Flight simulator series that have replay value.Not into tower defense games or cRPGs or DOTA or MOBA style of games.Do you know any complete game that might fit in to what I am looking for?I have Skyrim and Oblivion and the Fallout games.Oh and looking at games made in modern times.Help would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

What genre and style?

Yes.I am in to Action FPS RPG and stealth and sandbox open world games and vehicle themed games like Flight simulator series that have replay value.Not into tower defense games or cRPGs.Do you know any complete game that might fit in to what I am looking for?I have Skyrim and Oblivion and the Fallout games.

Edited by Cloakedwand72

I've become skeptical of the direction I'm seeing in early access gaming.

If companies were charging 5 to 10 dollars for these things it would be fine, but $20 for a buggy game missing many features is way too much.

I've played KSP from 0.12 and it was the best game I ever bought, but most of the time it won't be like that.

I would recommend staying away from any early access game selling for more than $15 and then only if it looks close to beta.

Are steam early acces games worth it like the Long Dark and Subnatica?

The Long Dark

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/?snr=1_7_tabpaginated__104_2

Subnatica

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/?snr=1_200_200_Early+Access_103

Are these two early access games worth It.

From what I have seen from my favorite youtuber, paulsoaresjr, YES! They ARE worth getting!

With EA, I think the best rule you can use is this: "If the game stops development right now, will I have gotten my money's worth?"

If the demo is lackluster or you are looking for future features rather than current features, then don't buy.

I've become skeptical of the direction I'm seeing in early access gaming.

If companies were charging 5 to 10 dollars for these things it would be fine, but $20 for a buggy game missing many features is way too much.

I've played KSP from 0.12 and it was the best game I ever bought, but most of the time it won't be like that.

I would recommend staying away from any early access game selling for more than $15 and then only if it looks close to beta.

Early access is turning into a mass scam industry.

Early access is turning into a mass scam industry.

I see most "early access" like this:

SuperMegaCorp has announced the release of their new product, the SuperBattery! When asked about it, CEO Mark Frank said: "Right now, it's just a regular 1.5V alkaline battery being sold at $20 a piece, but if enough people buy it we can get enough money to make it into the safe, efficient, 100-year charge 120V Plutonium battery that everybody wants and knows it can be." SuperMegaCorp scientists and product development teams declined to comment.

I know I might be seeing the past through rose-tint glasses, but I miss the days when your game had to be complete because you couldn't just send out a "bugfix" or "patch" or "update" every week, or had to lump any bugfixes/updates/etc into a big update and put the update into the next production run of the game. The current system, with past principles, would be great, but since every big manufacturer realizes that they can push updates 24/7/365, they just make an incomplete game and slowly complete it after the release (Or, in the case of DLC, force you to pay even more for the complete game".

SuperMegaCorp has announced the release of their new product, the SuperBattery! When asked about it, CEO Mark Frank said: "Right now, it's just a regular 1.5V alkaline battery being sold at $20 a piece, but if enough people buy it we can get enough money to make it into the safe, efficient, 100-year charge 120V Plutonium battery that everybody wants and knows it can be." SuperMegaCorp scientists and product development teams declined to comment.

There are several problems with your analogy.

• "SuperMegaCorp" implies a large, established company with massive resources. Those are exactly the types of companies who do NOT do this. Early Access is a risk, not just for the player but for the company. If it fails, they fail. So really it'd be "Joe's Batteries" and Joe himself would be one of the 3 people working on it.
  • In your example, buying the 1.5V battery does not give you free access to to the 120V battery when it is ready. Or at least it doesn't imply it. Also, in Early Access for your $20 you'd get the 1.5V battery, then a 9V when it's ready, and then a 50V when they nail that down, and finally the 120V.
  • Frequently Early Access stuff is either better than what's available already (except buggy) or so different than everything out there that the fact that it's not complete is mitigate by its uniqueness. 1.5V batteries are pretty common. This'd be more like a self-recharging 1.5V battery for $20, but it takes a month to recharge and they want to make a 120V battery that self-recharge in 5 minutes.

That all said, you have to take things on a case-by-case basis. I'll never buy EA from DoubleFine again, but Klei? You betcha.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.