Edited .cfg and .txt files no longer work

I have switched my KSP install from Windows32 to Ubuntu to be able to run 64bit and more mods. I have run into a pretty odd and annoying problem though.

When trying to edit .cfg or .txt files, they exception detector shows an error trying to parse the file and all settings in the file are ignored. This is especially prevalent in the NoMoreGrid mod which I want to edit to 0.3 instead of 0.1. Any setting I change cannot be loaded by KSP. So, if I change the launchpad from 0.1 to 0.3 in the file and then start the game, the launchpad reverts back to the default 1.0 setting from the stock game (all NoMoreGrind is ignored).

I figured it had to to with end-of-line characters, so I saved the file as DOS with no effect. I tried vi, vim, pico, nano, gedit... none of them work. So, now I can have 100 mods, but no way to edit any of the settings without breaking the entire mod... extremely frustrating.

Anyone have had succes editing .cfg and .txt files on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

The files are actually really short.. The NoMoreGrind config file only contains the following lines:

VehicleAssemblyBuilding = 0.5
TrackingStation = 0.4
SpaceplaneHangar = 0.5
Runway = 0.5
ResearchAndDevelopment = 0.4
MissionControl = 1.0
LaunchPad = 1.0
AstronautComplex = 1.5
Administration = 0.5

Even replacing a single character in this files causes the file to no longer be loaded and/or parsed correctly. It worked fine in my Windows install, but not in my ubuntu install, which is why I think it has something to do with end-of-line characters.

gedit is what, I use are you just editing and then hitting save ? You might make sure your saving as a cfg and if you look at the bottom of gedit ya'll see plain text you can change it to like C++ or others to help see things better.

I tested this some more and it seems that editing the 'persistent' file works, so I can edit my save game. The more I look at it, the more it seems to be limited to specific mods. I'm guessing the parsers for those mods are not very robust and cannot handle linux file formats. I found a happy config now, so I'm good.

By the way, being able to run stable with 6.5 GB of mods on my Linux install is AWESOME!... If only Squad could fix the memory leaks, so I don't run into stutter issues when my memory reaches the limit of 8GB.

I tested this some more and it seems that editing the 'persistent' file works, so I can edit my save game. The more I look at it, the more it seems to be limited to specific mods. I'm guessing the parsers for those mods are not very robust and cannot handle linux file formats. I found a happy config now, so I'm good.

By the way, being able to run stable with 6.5 GB of mods on my Linux install is AWESOME!... If only Squad could fix the memory leaks, so I don't run into stutter issues when my memory reaches the limit of 8GB.

Yes, it it very awesome, my record is 13.1GB used by KSP(AS Listed in the System Monitor)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.