[1.2.2] SOC: Simple Orbit Calculator v1.5.0 (1/12/2017)

stevehead

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working a little bit on a custom Kopernicus config that extends off the Kerbol 3.7 scale (link). While doing so, I realized that I do not have a convenient way to know the orbital and physical characteristics of the celestial bodies other than the very limited information in the tracking station screen. I decided to add a feature in SOC to display much of this info that you would get from places such as the wiki.

It's not 100% complete, I've got to cleanup the GUI and maybe add a few more things.

Preview for v1.4.0:

GP6xhZu.png

The values are from a custom Eve configuration, in which I was testing negative rotation periods for retrograde rotation.

Edit:

And I realized I misspelled Apoapsis in the GUI.

Edited by stevehead

• 4 weeks later...

v1.4.0 Released

Kerbal Stuff Download

GitHub Download

Changes:

- Celestial body info mode added!

- Orbit calculation now will display minimum ideal delta-V to launch to or land from calculated orbit, not including atmospheric drag.

- Parent body SOI moved to celestial body info mode.

- New warnings for orbits calculated to be outside of SOI or that intersect the planet.

- Users with Blizzy's Toolbar can now use the stock toolbar instead (requires restart).

Head's up... the new celestial body info GUI is a little crude, but definitely functional. I've ran out of time to pretty it up and wanted to get this released.

Edited by stevehead

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to perform such a calculation. Not only would inclination be a factor, but so would argument of periapsis. Then, I would assume, would involve a solution to Kepler's equation to find the time difference between true anomalies at the point you are in darkness the longest, and my old college calculus and diffy Qs knowledge is quite a bit rusty to attempt that much math. If the orbit is a little eccentric, I would just calculate for a circular orbit with the same periapsis; higher eccentricities, you can use the circular orbit as an upper limit for maximum darkness and judge accordingly. A low periapsis with a high eccentricity is going to whiz around the planet.

• 3 weeks later...

stevehead, Useful thing. Needed to calculate periapsis that should let me reach an exact point of Mun's orbit through the intermediate one and this mod has saved me from the need to write my own soft to numerically solve quartic equations. The ability to make calculations while on pause saved a lot for me :)

It would be super nice if this mod could also calculate dV needed for orbit's inclination.

Also it would be convenient to configure units used in calculations as it bores a little to convert seconds to minutes every time or Earth days to hours (and always remember that it is the Earth days).

It is not always needed to have a precision of meters and seconds but the number of digits when you have to deal with 11056865500 meters annoys a bit.

Edited by Ser

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Sorry if this is a stupid question: how do I install this? I have downloaded it to my Gamedata folder, but I don't appear to see any toolbar...

Sorry for not promptly answering this question. If you have Blizzy's Toolbar installed, it will be under that initially. Else it will be in the stock toolbar. If it cannot be found in either, it sounds like an install issue. Make sure the SimpleOrbitCalculator directory is under GameData. This mod is CKAN indexed, so it's easy to install from that.

How do I calculate geo stationary orbit?

Easiest way to do this is to check Eccentricity and Orbital Period. Click the S button next to the Orbital Period input to auto-fill it with the synchronous period. Fill in 0 for eccentricity (assuming you want a circular orbit), then click calculate. Below is an example.

ixm4AuP.png

Hi and thanks for this useful tool. Do you think to add the possibility to calculate continuous burn transfer?

Thanks, glad you find this plugin useful! I'm not sure what you mean exactly. The transfer delta-V is currently assuming a Hohmann Transfer, but I may provide bi-elliptic transfer info if it is less delta-V as a future feature.

Regarding 1.0.5

I verified functionality with 1.0.5. Please post here if there are any issues.

Regarding 1.1

I've been waiting for 1.1 to be released before making any updates to this plugin, outside of any potential bugfixes that require immediate attention. Of course, I made that statement before they announced 1.0.5 and the 1.1 delay, so if I find time in the near future, I may work a little on this mod.

Edited by stevehead

• 4 months later...

hi, just to say this mod is unavailble on kerbal stuff anymore (closed), are you planning to upload it on spacedock or anywhere else? ( i have the kerbalstuff torrent on my side so it's not a problem for me, but this mod worth it for the community :wink: )

Edit: i just saw the mod is also available in github ( not only the source):

https://github.com/stevehead/ksp-SimpleOrbitCalculator/releases

Edited by Skalou

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you know that it looks like the Download link on CKAN is broken. Appears to me to have a space in the URL or something, but its constantly telling me that it couldn't contact the server and won't download. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

Sadly, this mod does not seem to function at all in the new 1.1 version of KSP. To me this mod has become as essential to the game as Kerbal Engineer has been for a long time. The orbital mechanics do not seem to have changed in the latest version of the game, so I guess the mod not working is just a matter of the mod needing updating to the current version of Unity? Is there maybe a workaround to get the mod in it's current state working in the 1.1 version of KSP?

Regards, and thanks for developing this awesomely handy piece of code,

Robrechtus

If anyone would be able to step in an update this mod I would be very grateful. Steavehead has expressed in his other thread he doesn't have much free time for modding. So if anyone out there has some time they could spare to update this wonderful mod it would be great. Thanks to Stevehead and anyone who helps with this mod.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recompiled it for myself and have been using it for a while.

Since the author of this useful mod stevehead is absent for more than two weeks, I've decided to share it with the community:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6okn9a7tqkoyqpg/SimpleOrbitCalculator.zip?dl=1

Nothing have been changed except for library references to recompile this for KSP 1.1.2. Not sure about pulling the active target's orbital parameters but calculations for manually entered orbits work.

The license for content at this particular link is the same as stated in the OP of this thread for the original work.

Should the author of the mod complain about this, please PM me and I'll remove the link.

Edited by Ser

• 4 months later...

Recompiled for KSP 1.2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55kzdr0u0odl82t/SimpleOrbitCalculator-for-KSP-1.2.zip?dl=0

Nothing changed, just recompiled and given some tests.

The license for content at this particular link is the same as stated in the OP of this thread for the original work.

Should the author of the mod complain about this, please PM me and I'll remove the link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.