What are some tips and tricks?

Futher more, 1.0 will change many things. Best to wait few days.

AFAIK there's been no word on a 1.0 release date, so if the OP feels like KSP now, then I'd say it's a fair call to start. For all we know, 1.0 won't hit until June/July :) That said, it may make sense just to have a simple career game, rather than mod it to the max and go for a 6 month campaign.

A few suggestions for newcomers to 0.90:

- You can only take two missions at once; be careful which you choose initially.

- Don't blow past all the height record missions at once. Take some fuel out of your early ships so you can get the rewards for 10, 25, and 50km in sequence. If your first shot breaks the atmosphere, you've lost your chance at the later runs.

- Prioritise upgrading your mission control, and tracking station to tier 2. This will give you the ability to take more missions at once (more profit!) and make manoeuvre nodes. Munlandings are practical with tier 1, but anything beyond is risky.

- Beware of the MK3 parts. The joints are weak, and the wings/wheels/engines currently available aren't big enough for them.

- SAS doesn't work without a pilot kerbal, or a probe that specifically says it has SAS (the Stayputnik does not!), so your early missions will probably have to be manned and flown by Jeb, or some other pilot you hire. Bill and Bob tend not to get a look in until you have multi-man capsules.

- Remember you can't EVA or take surface samples until you upgrade your astronaut complex. See tooltips in KSC for details of how to unlock these features.

AFAIK there's been no word on a 1.0 release date, so if the OP feels like KSP now, then I'd say it's a fair call to start. For all we know, 1.0 won't hit until June/July :)

How in the world can you be unaware of the Kerbal Countdown ??? SQUAD is releasing daily riddles wich answer correspond to a countdown (check the thread, squad´s twitter, reddit, or anything) wich is very likely to correspond to the release !

I'd say we are very close to release, and it´s worth waiting for 1.0 by now

(just my opinion here, i might be wrong)

I suspect that the countdown is to the release, but I'm far from certain. This weekend will tell the tale. If we don't start seeing streamers showing 1.0 features by this weekend, then the countdown probably isn't for the release. It's possible that they may hold off lifting the media embargo until it actually releases, but that would be a deviation from their normal release process.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.