[1.8.x] KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

Thanks for that update to the PhysicalTimeRatioViewer and confirming my suspicions that the Max Physics Delta Time per Frame was being bugged and altered. Your mods are very useful and was not aware of them until recently.

The method to change the value of Max Physics Delta Time per Frame seems to be the next logical step. Currently exiting to settings menu is agonizingly slow. I am experimenting on the two extreme values to identify the effects on vessel simulation.

Example: a plane flies maneuvers and flown at high G force to try to break it apart. Then the value for Max Physics Delta Time per Frame is lowered from 0.12 to 0.03 and the plane is again put through similar testing. So far the results are not showing much difference and the two simulations have similar results. Re-entry is up next for testing and now knowing that using time warp is messing with the value the main menu screen is going to be seen more often.

If it is possible could you add a method for changing the Max Physics Delta Time per Frame during run time. You were probably already thinking of this, am I right?

Keep up the great work.

I didn't have any plans to add this but for science I did it anyways! I'll upload a new version in a few minutes that adds a(few) new option(s) to PhysicalTimeRatioViewer.

"Change maximumDeltaTime", "Live edit" and depending on if "Live edit" is on or not 2 different sliders that look the same but one edits the value directly and the other one only if you press on "Save".

I myself had some testing with it. The minimum value unity/kerbal lets you set it to is 0.02.

I only tried it till 1.00 and that had horribly low fps. So i decided to cap the max value to 0.20 which still gets low fps but for those that want to experiment with it can still do it without possibly locking themselves out of kerbal. Please be aware that at 0.2 your fps will most likely be around 5 with larger crafts.

Kerbal Engineer can do that I believe :)
I'm not using Kerbal Engineer myself but from looking at its code i believe you mean the simulation time. This option only affects Kerbal Engineers own simulations and not kerbal's/unity's.

Edit: Just uploaded the new version.

Edited by SpaceTiger

I'm not using Kerbal Engineer myself but from looking at its code i believe you mean the simulation time. This option only affects Kerbal Engineers own simulations and not kerbal's/unity's.

Was trying to identify if KER was able and could not find any method for changing the Max Physics Delta Time per Frame.

Thanks SpaceTiger for the latest revision. This will be included in the workaround posting as this is efficient for those that need to reset the value lower than 0.08 for Max Physics Delta Time per Frame. Currently I am using 0.08 for default as this is the value it will bug to.

The science experiment continues and still not able to notice any difference between a low or high value for the MPDTF, the simulation results seems to be the same. The significant difference at a high value is on my slow computer the game runs closer to 80% Physics Time Ratio and that is such a relief when I have kerbal EVA around a base station and do not need to use physics time warp.

Would it be possible to have the auto-balancing legs mod remove the stock legs? I hate having duplicates.

In the latest version the stock landing legs get upgraded.

I included a legacy patch for those that used the KerboKatz legs in the initial version, but no one should see those in the parts list as those have no category(-1).

So please recheck if you are using the newest version.

• 4 weeks later...

Does ModifiedExplosionPotential change only the particle effects, or does it change the actual "explosiveness"? E.g. Full tanks will make most of the craft explode, empty tanks will just kind of fall off the craft?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One small idea: will be great to have possibilities to change color of markers in MAP mode, like flags, kerbonauts, crafts markers. It is very hard to find something in map mode on planets with clouds if you use EVE plugin.

the GUI button doesent work, when clicked spams error to log about some sort of slider error, like the slider function not found? and a small , greyish thing pops up in the bottom left corner of the screen, like some sort of broken gui.

Can anyone verify whether the Auto Balancing Landing Leg mod still works? I've had it installed for a while now, but I just noticed that it doesn't seem to be working on my Mun lander. I'm not sure if it's because of the way I built it tho, or the mod not working.. :/

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.10.2015 at 3:41 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Does ModifiedExplosionPotential change only the particle effects, or does it change the actual "explosiveness"? E.g. Full tanks will make most of the craft explode, empty tanks will just kind of fall off the craft?

It's just a change to the particle effect.

On 20.12.2015 at 8:33 AM, bgeery said:

The first post mentions a "RCS Translate Only" mod.  Does anyone know where this mod is available?  The link does not work and searches just lead back to this thread.

This was a mod request which i didn't get to create yet.(The forum update messed up the whole layout)

On 23.12.2015 at 7:43 AM, 123nick said:

the GUI button doesent work, when clicked spams error to log about some sort of slider error, like the slider function not found? and a small , greyish thing pops up in the bottom left corner of the screen, like some sort of broken gui.

Which mod does this specifically concern ? Outputlog will be useful to figuring out whats going wrong as well.

On 23.12.2015 at 1:34 PM, NikoKun said:

Can anyone verify whether the Auto Balancing Landing Leg mod still works? I've had it installed for a while now, but I just noticed that it doesn't seem to be working on my Mun lander. I'm not sure if it's because of the way I built it tho, or the mod not working.. :/

In theory it should still work, it compiles without any errors.

On 6.1.2016 at 4:49 PM, gilflo said:

Hi

In which folder must be set the auto balancing leg folder to work properly?

In GameData ? in Kerbokatz or in SmallUtilities?

Extracting the zip file as it is will place everything into the right folders any changes to the folder structure might result in errors. As to where: it goes into GameData\KerboKatz\SmallUtilities

4 hours ago, Lord_Potato said:

I seem to be getting a massive fps drop when changing the max physical time ratio.

If you change it to a higher number that is to be  expected and is no bug. What that setting changes is the maximum time the physics engine can have. If its over 0.016 seconds it will cut down your frame rate.

If you want to remove lag lowering the number should help you but that will make the game run slower compared to real-time.

On 1/19/2016 at 11:09 PM, SpaceTiger said:

If you change it to a higher number that is to be  expected and is no bug. What that setting changes is the maximum time the physics engine can have. If its over 0.016 seconds it will cut down your frame rate.

If you want to remove lag lowering the number should help you but that will make the game run slower compared to real-time.

Does the AutoBalancingLegs still work in 1.0.5. I tried it out and it didn't seem to work completely properly. All it did was slightly alter one out of four legs, but that doesn't seem correct.

3 hours ago, bananashavings said:

Does the AutoBalancingLegs still work in 1.0.5. I tried it out and it didn't seem to work completely properly. All it did was slightly alter one out of four legs, but that doesn't seem correct.

I just tested this on a clean install and it is working. Make sure you aren't using legs that can't support the weight of the craft on the given body, if the legs are all the way retracted this mod wont be able to do much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks again @SpaceTiger

The physics delta time changer was very helpful.  It assisted in a 300+ part train during testing and filming.

Testing a high part count vessel would take too long in real time to reach top speed (when the problems would arise).  This is when I would change the MPDT to 0.22  the maximum.

Then during filming I would set the MPDT to achieve 33% physics ratio.  Then speeding the recording by three times resulted in a real time rendition of the video.

Also here is an excellent article explaining Max Physics Delta Time per Frame.  This could help others understand how to use this amazing tool.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, SpaceTiger said:

I just updated the following to 1.1

• FPSLimiter
  • FPSViewer
  • PhysicalTimeRatioViewer

More to follow as i find time to rework them :)

Thanks for letting us know, I had used the PhysicalTimeRatioViewer in 1.0.5 and was able to have the percentage readout put in a custom location, is that still possible?

Just now, gamerscircle said:

Thanks for letting us know, I had used the PhysicalTimeRatioViewer in 1.0.5 and was able to have the percentage readout put in a custom location, is that still possible?

Yes! That is still possible. Come to think of i think i have to push a fix so the settings open with a right click. For now you can open the settings with Alt+left click

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.