[1.8.x] KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

Two really picky requests. First is the Option to have FPSViewer and PhysicalTimeRatioViewer not be centered vertically. I'd like to put them all the way at the top of my screen, but can't because their (invisible) display box is too tall so it stops short. You can see this when only current FPS is enabled, and max and min displays are disabled.

I second this.

I have some more requests:

1) please make FPS viewer text aligned left, not centered. This way it is easier for eyes (digits do not move from side to side).

I got something for this already in the works.

Second is to reduce the refresh rate of PhysicalTimeRatioViewer to once every second. Right now it feels too fast. Perhaps synched with FPSViwer's refreshes?

With the next update you can define the refresh rate in the settings.

2) please fix FPS limiter so it is still possible to use Physical Wrap when KSP is minimized. Currently it sets physical time to ~100% when minimized, despite I've set 4x Physical Wrap, and it doesn't matter what target FPS I set...

This is a Unity/KSP limitation. The graphics and physics engine run both in the same thread which on low frame rates cause "the time to slow down". Nothing i can do on my end. The same applies to the fps as in if the physics take too long the fps drop down and that's why large crafts usually cause lower fps.

3) option to disable FPS Limiter completely in game

As in don't limit at all ? Or just revert back to game settings?

3) sincerely I much, much prefer more compact UI, say, like in MechJeb. Screen real estate is precious. As for toolbar - QuickGoTo mod is silver standard of how sub-toolbar might look like IME :-)4

I personally don't like the MechJeb UI much seems very cluttered and sticks out of the games UI. But i do understand the request for a more compact view of things. As for the toolbar this will change in the future this is basically still a "prototype" and still open for many many changes.

Also I'd like to know what exactly "Use VSync" does. I prefer my VSync to occur every 2nd VBlank, and it is set so in KSP options. What about the behaviour of that knob in FPS Limiter, then?

Depending on the frame rate that it's set to: nothing, normal VSync@60 and 2nd VBlank@30.

I'm generally overwriting the game settings so anything that is set there (FPS limit/VSync) will get overwritten.

And one more thing: when I open KerboKatz toolbar in VAB, and, not closing it, go to launch - it stays at the bottom, it doesn't move to the upper right where the stock toolbar (and KerboKatz button) moves... This is not handy.

That's an issue that i have encountered as well. I have a workaround ready for this as in the window gets closed and has to be opened again using the new position.

As in don't limit at all ? Or just revert back to game settings?
Hmm... Both? :-) Revert sounds more useful, but... (shrugs)
I'm generally overwriting the game settings
Yeah, found it the harder way when trying to uninstall EditorCamUtilities - mouse wheel got unbound; good that I had my settings.cfg backuped aside...

All in all, thanks for Your work - even a single RecoverAll plugin already economized quite some minutes of my life time that otherwise would be lost to micromanagement... ;-)

Some bugs with new physical time ratio viewer:

1) It show 0% on launch from hangar. If revert to launch from that point it works, but fresh rate too fast and didn't match defined value.

2) It stops after hitting Esc button and didn't re enabled after closing Esc menu.

3) Anchor gauge not working, digits always stays in center

4) Radio button of Hide on hidden UI shows uncheked after scene change (revert to start for example)...

Wow SpaceTiger, what a support, what a timing, thanks - I wish some commercial firms had this level of support that Your mods have. No, seriously, I understand that the mods are small, but still.

Today I noticed one thing: when I load KSP in the background, that is, if KSP window isn't active by the time it gets to KSC, FPSLimiter doesn't get applied. I have QuickStart to go straight to KSC (sure I'd like to go straight to VAB, but... no mod for that yet, as DevHelper bitrotten), and I have to switch to KSP window for FPSLimiter to catch on. Can this little scenario be worked somehow? Cause that's my typical usage pattern - modify some parts mods here and there while I have a minute, then relaunch KSP and while it loads - I'm doing something else, something hopefully more productive :-)

Hm, newest version of FPSViewer keeps throwing:

[EXC 04:37:14.826] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'KerboKatz.Utilities.UI.setAnchorPosition'.
KerboKatz.FPSViewer.OnGUI ()

I reverted to 1.1.12 and it works again.

Edited by cipherpunks

ALso, can't get EditorCamUtils to not mess with the wheel again: AXIS_MOUSEWHEEL{scale} becomes 0 again in settings.cfg, so I can't zoom in flight (in VAB everything works as advertised).

Edit: But after modifying that scale=1 by hand and relaunching, it works again.

Edit 2: after restart of KSP I can not zoom while in flight again; have to uninstall EditorCamUtilities :-(

Edit 3: latest PhysicalTimeRatioViewer always shows 0% for me.

Edited by cipherpunks

1) It show 0% on launch from hangar. If revert to launch from that point it works, but fresh rate too fast and didn't match defined value.

2) It stops after hitting Esc button and didn't re enabled after closing Esc menu.

3) Anchor gauge not working, digits always stays in center

4) Radio button of Hide on hidden UI shows uncheked after scene change (revert to start for example)...

Edit 3: latest PhysicalTimeRatioViewer always shows 0% for me.

Fixed in new release. That I'm in the process of uploading.

Wow SpaceTiger, what a support, what a timing, thanks - I wish some commercial firms had this level of support that Your mods have. No, seriously, I understand that the mods are small, but still.

Always happy to read something like this. :)

Today I noticed one thing: when I load KSP in the background, that is, if KSP window isn't active by the time it gets to KSC, FPSLimiter doesn't get applied. I have QuickStart to go straight to KSC (sure I'd like to go straight to VAB, but... no mod for that yet, as DevHelper bitrotten), and I have to switch to KSP window for FPSLimiter to catch on. Can this little scenario be worked somehow? Cause that's my typical usage pattern - modify some parts mods here and there while I have a minute, then relaunch KSP and while it loads - I'm doing something else, something hopefully more productive :-)

It will work if you switch out of it again. I can't know if KSP is in the background unless you switch to KSP and back out while FPSLimiter is loaded, which is as soon as KSP gets to the dll. There is no other way to find this out as far as I know.

Hm, newest version of FPSViewer keeps throwing:
[EXC 04:37:14.826] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'KerboKatz.Utilities.UI.setAnchorPosition'.
KerboKatz.FPSViewer.OnGUI ()

I reverted to 1.1.12 and it works again.

Need the newest KerboKatzUtilities (1.2.10). I just noticed i didn't update the needed version in the code.

ALso, can't get EditorCamUtils to not mess with the wheel again: AXIS_MOUSEWHEEL{scale} becomes 0 again in settings.cfg, so I can't zoom in flight (in VAB everything works as advertised).

Edit: But after modifying that scale=1 by hand and relaunching, it works again.

Edit 2: after restart of KSP I can not zoom while in flight again; have to uninstall EditorCamUtilities :-(

This is a bug that i can't reproduce. In the past i thought that this bug would be caused by the game crashing and build a backup function in so it reverts to the last known settings in case of a crash, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Output log might be useful to investigate further.

Still can't make EditorCamUtils to not mess in-flight zooming. In VAB, all is good. After first install of new version and first launch of KSP, everything worked. Setting (and re-setting) AXIS_MOUSEWHEEL{scale=1} in settings.cfg prior to start of KSP doesn't do anything - still can't zoom while in flight :-( I'll upload logs.

- - - Updated - - -

log, settings - let me know if You need more info.

Still can't make EditorCamUtils to not mess in-flight zooming. In VAB, all is good. After first install of new version and first launch of KSP, everything worked. Setting (and re-setting) AXIS_MOUSEWHEEL{scale=1} in settings.cfg prior to start of KSP doesn't do anything - still can't zoom while in flight :-( I'll upload logs.

- - - Updated - - -

log, settings - let me know if You need more info.

Thanks but those logs aren't helping much. Look for the output_log in KSP_Data. That one has many more details.

Are those the settings after or before ?

Autobalancing landing legs... how to make it work? Mod is installed, modulemanager is installed... Lander still flips at puny 3 degree slope when not using SAS/RCS.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind. It was a WEIRD config that created unexpected new parts instead of upgrading existing ones.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Small idea: Make the ability to limit control range that stock SAS uses. FOr example, I don't want it to exceed 15% on control surface deflection but to be able to do it manually. Make it separate on all 3 axes.

Useful for FAR and airplanes in general. That's how real ACS works.

Reporting an exception that happens once on load in location:

KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase.loadToolbarSettings

Where does this exactly happen ? Please upload your full output log and post the link here so i can have a look at it.

Where does this exactly happen ? Please upload your full output log and post the link here so i can have a look at it.

It happens on game load, recent log is: http://overminddl1.com/Kerbal/KSP.log.201506101832.tar.gz and the full set of lines from the log appear to be:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][EXC 17:22:12.201] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object[/COLOR]
[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000].loadToolbarSettings ()[/COLOR]
[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000].Start ()[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

It happens on game load, recent log is: http://overminddl1.com/Kerbal/KSP.log.201506101832.tar.gz and the full set of lines from the log appear to be:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][EXC 17:22:12.201] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object[/COLOR]
[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000].loadToolbarSettings ()[/COLOR]
[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000].Start ()[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

Wrong log file. I'm guessing its harmless. And you have A LOT of exceptions.

Wrong log file. I'm guessing its harmless. And you have A LOT of exceptions.

That one likely is yeah since it only happens once, I am just reporting all that I find to all mod authors as NPE's (NRE's in .NET parlance? I am a C++/Java dev by trade) tends to indicate a bug and even if it only happens once it can still have lasting effects, thus I am quite allergic to exceptions as I believe all developers should be. :-)

That one likely is yeah since it only happens once, I am just reporting all that I find to all mod authors as NPE's (NRE's in .NET parlance? I am a C++/Java dev by trade) tends to indicate a bug and even if it only happens once it can still have lasting effects, thus I am quite allergic to exceptions as I believe all developers should be. :-)
This one doesn't have any lasting effects and got fixed in the next version just forgot a place to check for null. Thanks for reporting.

It occured to me that my problems with EditorCamUtils might be actually a problem with (non-working actually) FSHangarExtender which was lingering there in GameData... :-|

- - - Updated - - -

One pecky question: can KSP handle sideways scroll? My "old" new mice is Apple Mighty Mouse and has (virtually) 2 scroll wheels...

It occured to me that my problems with EditorCamUtils might be actually a problem with (non-working actually) FSHangarExtender which was lingering there in GameData... :-|

- - - Updated - - -

One pecky question: can KSP handle sideways scroll? My "old" new mice is Apple Mighty Mouse and has (virtually) 2 scroll wheels...

So without FSHangarExtender the settings don't reset anymore ?

Had a quick look it seems to recognize that the scroll wheel is active but doesn't know what its actually supposed to do.

Yes, w/o FSHangarExtender settings survived a couple of restarts of KSP. Sorry for the noise, then. Just completely forgot that one .dll: pretty easy to do so - it doesn't manifest itself by doing something [useful] :-D

It'd be nice if that 2nd mouse scroll wheel invoked that "alternate" scrolling in VAB/SPH that we do with Shift pressed - I can dream, can I?

Yes, w/o FSHangarExtender settings survived a couple of restarts of KSP. Sorry for the noise, then. Just completely forgot that one .dll: pretty easy to do so - it doesn't manifest itself by doing something [useful] :-D

This is weird. I don't see anything in the source of "FSHangarExtender" that could mess with the settings or with EditorCamExtension.

It'd be nice if that 2nd mouse scroll wheel invoked that "alternate" scrolling in VAB/SPH that we do with Shift pressed - I can dream, can I?

Like i said KSP only knows that something with the mouse wheel is happening but it doesn't know what to do with it and i can't do anything with just knowing that the mouse wheel is turning, as in i don't know which way its turning or by how much.

Well your post one said you are looking for suggestions for new ideas, so I thought I throw an idea past you. One of my big annoyances is RCS being used for things SAS can accomplish. I'd like to see a mod that disables RCS from activating when I use the WASDQE keys, but still be controlled for the translation controls IJKLHN. I know you can toggle RCS on and off as needed, but I always eventually forget, and end up firing RCS to do a simple roll, for example. As some craft don't have enough SAS, there would need to be a toggle to allow RCS to act like stock on these craft. Maybe a simple "RCS Translate Only" toggle on the ship's right-click menu?

w/o FSHangarExtender settings survived a couple of restarts of KSP.
Spoke too early. Today it did that again. Logs here.

Seconding the need to disable RCS on crafts that are fast-turning with RWs alone. Using RCS on such crafts often leads to undesired changes in orbit, and lost dV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.