[1.8.x] KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - 18.10.2019

SpaceTiger

Small idea: Make the ability to limit control range that stock SAS uses. FOr example, I don't want it to exceed 15% on control surface deflection but to be able to do it manually. Make it separate on all 3 axes.

Useful for FAR and airplanes in general. That's how real ACS works.

Doesn't FAR have something like this ?

Well your post one said you are looking for suggestions for new ideas, so I thought I throw an idea past you. One of my big annoyances is RCS being used for things SAS can accomplish. I'd like to see a mod that disables RCS from activating when I use the WASDQE keys, but still be controlled for the translation controls IJKLHN. I know you can toggle RCS on and off as needed, but I always eventually forget, and end up firing RCS to do a simple roll, for example. As some craft don't have enough SAS, there would need to be a toggle to allow RCS to act like stock on these craft. Maybe a simple "RCS Translate Only" toggle on the ship's right-click menu?

Seconding the need to disable RCS on crafts that are fast-turning with RWs alone. Using RCS on such crafts often leads to undesired changes in orbit, and lost dV.

I'll see if i can do such a thing. Maybe ill just toggle the RCS on/off.

Spoke too early. Today it did that again. Logs here.
From your logs i read that you got a lot of mods installed did you try removing them and see if this issue pops up? Having a smaller list of mods that could cause issues would for sure help finding the root cause for this.

Well, here is another idea for you. :) I just bumped into the problem where the take/store all experiments button isn't adequate, and there's no workarounds AFAIK. Did you know there is a 24 data limit for capsules? It would be nice if a popup would allow the player to choose the science to take/store so it can be divided properly.

Heading off to the Mun, to test your auto level landing gear.

you got a lot of mods installed did you try removing them and see if this issue pops up? Having a smaller list of mods that could cause issues would for sure help finding the root cause for this.
Yes, and I'm still in the process (disabling them gradually). Also trying to pinpoint exact cause of DestroyAll malfunction. Will report if something concrete distills.

On this PC KSP takes really long time to start. Like 4-5 minutes. Without DDS it was even worse. Slow RAM and slow I/O (SSD burned).

I'm loving Modified Explosion Potential, been waiting for something like it for a long time.

However, I think I've discovered an incompatibility with BDArmory (or possibly a general bug): occasionally something destroyed with a BDA weapon will repeatedly explode from overheating, indefinitely, both visually and in the F3 flight log.

I'm loving Modified Explosion Potential, been waiting for something like it for a long time.

However, I think I've discovered an incompatibility with BDArmory (or possibly a general bug): occasionally something destroyed with a BDA weapon will repeatedly explode from overheating, indefinitely, both visually and in the F3 flight log.

ModifiedExplosionPotential doesn't cause anything to explode/overheat/re-spawn. So I would guess that this is a bug with BDArmory.

Exception that I noticed when first loading:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase.loadToolbarSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Also, while the camera switch does change the mouse based controls, it doesn't change the keyboard based controls. Is there a way to switch the keyboard based controls to SPH mode while in VAB?

Edit: nvm on this, it interferes with Hangar Extender and makes it not work.

Edited by smjjames

Exception that I noticed when first loading:

at KerboKatz.KerboKatzBase.loadToolbarSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Harmless exception and its getting fixed in the next version

Also, while the camera switch does change the mouse based controls, it doesn't change the keyboard based controls. Is there a way to switch the keyboard based controls to SPH mode while in VAB?

I wasn't aware that the keyboard controls changed and couldn't find anything that was different between the VAB and SPH. Which controls are changed?

Edit: nvm on this, it interferes with Hangar Extender and makes it not work.

I wasn't aware that this interferes with Hangar Extender. But i guess it does make sense that it does seeing as they both modify the values for the editor bounds. I'll integrate something very simple to change the hangar size into EditorCamExtension.

SpaceTiger, my original request for the SPH/VAB cam switch was so I could get new angles for composite shots like this. I haven't had a chance to use it for that yet since I'm taking a break until 1.1 but I realized thinking about it that I will need a way to get back to my original camera position with each new craft load. For the VAB cam this was possible since I could scroll down to the "bottom" of the VAB and get a consistent view angle and only need to match up the location and pan, which had much finer control than the mouse wheel. Going more free-form with the SPH cam will make this harder. Could there be a way to save/load the camera position? Just needs to be one position/orientation, nothing fancy like path tracking or anything

Any chance of getting the landing leg plugin to allow toggling the animation in the editor? Pretty essential for checking clearances of things mounted on the bottom of craft.

EDIT: Also, idk if it's just me, but the gear toggle opposite the GUI button, which isn't really a problem, more of a nuisance. Along my first comment, not being able to start deployed makes testing viability of things harder, since my just attempted test deploying on the runway resulted in all broken landing gear.

Edited by Gribbleshnibit8

You're doing amazing stuff. Thank you.

I hope that Squad recognise what you're doing and approach you for development work because much of this is vital.

Thanks. Always great to hear things like this. :)

SpaceTiger, my original request for the SPH/VAB cam switch was so I could get new angles for composite shots like this. I haven't had a chance to use it for that yet since I'm taking a break until 1.1 but I realized thinking about it that I will need a way to get back to my original camera position with each new craft load. For the VAB cam this was possible since I could scroll down to the "bottom" of the VAB and get a consistent view angle and only need to match up the location and pan, which had much finer control than the mouse wheel. Going more free-form with the SPH cam will make this harder. Could there be a way to save/load the camera position? Just needs to be one position/orientation, nothing fancy like path tracking or anything

This sparked great ideas. Using the ctrl(+shift)+0-9 keys to load/save the current position. Much like in RTS games to group and ungroup.

Any chance of getting the landing leg plugin to allow toggling the animation in the editor? Pretty essential for checking clearances of things mounted on the bottom of craft.

I wanted to do this but i guess it slide out of my mind. I'll add this to the next version.

EDIT: Also, idk if it's just me, but the gear toggle opposite the GUI button, which isn't really a problem, more of a nuisance. Along my first comment, not being able to start deployed makes testing viability of things harder, since my just attempted test deploying on the runway resulted in all broken landing gear.

I'll fix this too so it behaves more like in stock.

for autobalancinglandingleg, any reason you created a new class from scratch with partmodule, instead of inherit modulelandingleg and override some?

looking through the code, seems to have everything and compatible, so thought id ask if some issue i didnt see :)

if it would inherit, then the other mods that run when modulelandingleg is present have a simple text edit to work for both partmodules, as either can be cast to modulelandingleg and looks like would work :)

just curiousness

for autobalancinglandingleg, any reason you created a new class from scratch with partmodule, instead of inherit modulelandingleg and override some?

looking through the code, seems to have everything and compatible, so thought id ask if some issue i didnt see :)

if it would inherit, then the other mods that run when modulelandingleg is present have a simple text edit to work for both partmodules, as either can be cast to modulelandingleg and looks like would work :)

just curiousness

I tried to use the stock landing leg as a base but I needed more control over the spring which i couldn't get using the old part module (private methods and variables :( ).

Windows 64 / Kerbal 1.0.2 32bit

(Filename: Line: -1)

[KerboKatzToolbar] removeFromApplicationLauncher

Full Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu1ur22w1jkffs4/output_log4.zip?dl=0

Oooooh AutoBalancingLandingLeg looks awesome. So often, landings end up on slight inclines and that leads to hilarity and fun... in the Dwarf Fortress kind of way. Be so nice to be able to end up with at least reasonably level landings on moderate slopes.

Windows 8 64bit / Kerbal 1.0.2 32bit

Silly question, but... how do you get the auto-balancing landing legs to work?

I landed on the side of the hill alongside the runway but it doesn't balance at all; the lander just tilts over like normal. And I was using the specific balancing legs, not the stock ones.

I noticed there was a button relating to locking the springs... that didn't seem to do anything...?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Edited by DavidHunter

Windows 64 / Kerbal 1.0.2 32bit

Silly question, but... how do you get the auto-balancing landing legs to work?

I landed on the side of the hill alongside the runway but it doesn't balance at all; the lander just tilts over like normal. And I was using the specific balancing legs, not the stock ones.

I noticed there was a button relating to locking the springs... that didn't seem to do anything...?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Can you post a picture of your lander ?

The balancing takes some time to work. It doesn't work very well with long and slim landers that tend to tip over as soon as they hit the ground.

Generally speaking: If something tips over in stock instantly it will most likely with this too.

Sure, image here.

It's quite short; I purpose-built it to test the legs. :)

How long did you wait ?

I see that you used the large landing legs for a light vessel. Those legs start with high suspension meaning it takes longer to adjust and might never balance the legs cause of not enough weight on them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.