Light years away

Astroman29

I just landed a probe on Moho for the first time (yay!) and did some science. Then, I returned to the space center, I researched something and then went to another ship in orbit.

The screen turned black, except the HUD. After a few seconds, it looked like this: http://faildesk.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Favorite-XP-Feature.jpg

I went back to space center and this was happening there too. So I restarted KSP and everything seemed normal. But it wasn't. Said ship wasn't in Kerbin orbit anymore. It wasn't in Kerbol orbit anymore.

;.;

Hmmm, when my screen turn black, except the HUD, I usually get a NaN speed and a lot of lag. If I return to space center, the ship has totally disapeared.

This bug occurs quite a lot, even after restarting KSP. The only workaround I've found is kill KSP.exe process in the task manager to force KSP not to save the game.

Hmmm, when my screen turn black, except the HUD, I usually get a NaN speed and a lot of lag. If I return to space center, the ship has totally disapeared.

This bug occurs quite a lot, even after restarting KSP. The only workaround I've found is kill KSP.exe process in the task manager to force KSP not to save the game.

Well, I somehow managed to fix this using a quicksave.

Interesting fact: not only the ship dissapeared from Kerbin orbit, but near it there were literally all the asteroids in the system. I could see them in map view, far away from Kerbol.

Happened to me a couple of times. The first time, I accepted the fate and continued with the career (not a big deal because it was a young save, just a couple of sats). Then I took the habit to quicksave before closing the game, and the second time the thing happened I just reloaded a couple of hours of gameplay back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exa-

1 exameter is equivalent to 1018 meters, or a quintillion meter, or 1000000000000000000 meters (that is 18 zeros). It is also about 110 light years.

The OP is really, really far into interstellar space now.

And I tought I was exaggerating saying ''light years away'' :) Should've checked what E means before posting.

EDIT: 2709 E is like 298000 light years away. That's almost 3 times the diameter of the Milky way, so, depending on the size of the kerbal galaxy, the poor crew could have been teleported to intergalactic space.

Edited by Astroman29

Alternative suggestion; many calculators (including those in operating systems) use something like 2.709e9 to mean 2.709 * (10 to the power 9). This is done when there aren't enough digits on the display to show the number in long format :)

I can't help but feel the altimeter was never designed for exameters and probably doesn't have a notation for them ^^;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.