[0.90] Mk1 Cargo Bay

Roxette

This is an updated and cleaned-up version of something I hacked together for my own use long ago, because apparently a couple of people were looking for something similar...

6KOSVGC.jpg

A small, simple cargo bay with opening/closing door to match Mk1 spaceplane parts. This one uses a model by Talisar ( dev thread at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77505-Cargo-

Transportation-Solutions-%28WIP%29

The door uses stock Squad animation module, and the texture closely matches the standard Mk1 fuselage parts. Configuration is reasonably balanced and career-mode-ready.

updated already, added secondary attach nodes for fixing things inside.

It's also worth noting that this bay is conveniently just large enough to fully enclose a Kerbal Inventory System container on its mounting bracket.

License, as per Talisar's part, is CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported /

Download : on Kerbal Stuff

Edited by Roxette
v 1.01 release

All you have to do is just rescale Cargo Transportation Solutions part like he did and you can stack them if you want a short one use one piece or long start stacking.

EDIT- Here is a MM that rescales the whole ModsByTal mod to fit MK 1 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/ModsByTal_Rescale.cfg.zip which will give you the docking rings and end plates.

Edited by Mecripp2

Could you also make a longer version and one that opens on both top and bottom?

As MeCripp said, you can easily stack them to double or triple the length, but the idea of opening on two sides is interesting, I have to ask why? :) To make a part like that for the Mk1 size fuselage would mean making a new model, so it's non-trivial. I think I could fairly quickly fabricate one to match the large Mk3 format from available models, if you can convince me there's a good use for it ;)

As MeCripp said, you can easily stack them to double or triple the length, but the idea of opening on two sides is interesting, I have to ask why? :)

Mainly things like solar panels (so they could be in x2 symmetry, but still in the cargo bay), teeny weeny rovers, and general coolness. About the long one, I didn't see that they don't have a separating wall in between them. And also since there is no inline Junior docking port thingy, one of those would be great.

Just keep it updated for 1.0.

It shouldn't need to be updated since it is just a parts mod, and it uses the moduleanimategeneric in the stock game, which I am 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure won't be removed.

Also, will this work with 1.0's aerodynamics overhaul?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a MM config to fix node issues to make it work with 1.0.2 (I fixed the size and direction of the "inner" nodes, and also flipped them to fix a stock bug that made them not easily attachable). Also turned down the weight a bit to make it more in line with the stock cargo bays. (I took the weight of the small Mk2 cargo bay and divided it by the equally sized empty Mk2 rocket fuel tank, which gave me roughly 85 %, then I multiplied this with the weight of the small empty Mk1 rocket fuel tank which gave me roughly 100 kg, which I put in the MM file.)

@PART[RxMk1CargoBayS]{
@mass = 0.1
@node_stack_top = 0.00, 0.98, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
@node_stack_top2 = 0.00, 1.00, 0.00, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.00, -0.98, 0.00, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
@node_stack_bottom2 = 0.00, -1.00, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
}

Edited by LostOblivion

Am I missing something? Im not able to find this in the SPH. Is there something special for installation? I've tried putting it in the parts folder as well as creating the path in game data and putting it there. No dice.

I neglected to mention that I also followed the installation directions and extracted the zip into GameData. Still doesn't show up as a part to use. I would really like to use this mod if anyone knows what im doing wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.