1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

Now I know IR from the inside, limiting the node sizes should be easy. I don't think they can be scaled with a config, so they need their own code. IR is already notified on rescale, we can limit the node sizes there. This extra manipulation will not break TweakScale because it reads the original sizes from the prefab part.

So is there a consensus that nodes on IR parts should globally be limited to size 2? (i.e. the standard node size on 2.5m parts)

Just out of curiosity - what is it that makes IR parts not function if node sizes are changed? Could that phenomenon be fixed to address the cause rather than the symptom, so to speak?

On the other hand, if the node size isn't terribly important for joint strength, then that wouldn't really matter and might not be worth it. Does node size make a particularly important difference, or is it just a visual thing?

I have one last idea. Look at your nav ball. you are controlling from a command pod pointing straight down. and by pressing (w) you are driving the wheels as well as any reaction wheels you may have added or what is already equipped in your command pod. This could be adding torque to the legs bending them and altering your intended path.

Edit: I just looked at a larger version of your picture, I should have led with that. Each arm is attached to a separate structural panel. this could be a lot of your issue. Try attaching all the arms to one common part using symmetry and then see what happens.

none of those issues are the problem.

ive tested it with control module oriented correctly on the navball.

ive tested it with disabled torque on all applicable parts

the wheels are 100% parallel to the ground

none of these are the source of the drift

further more the rover is very light weight so i doubt its leg flex causing the wheels to reorient, all the wheels are attached to same base part, therefore i dont think its nessary to strut the wheels to the fuel ring

none of those issues are the problem.

ive tested it with control module oriented correctly on the navball.

ive tested it with disabled torque on all applicable parts

the wheels are 100% parallel to the ground

none of these are the source of the drift

further more the rover is very light weight so i doubt its leg flex causing the wheels to reorient, all the wheels are attached to same base part, therefore i dont think its nessary to strut the wheels to the fuel ring

Sorry, I don't have any more suggestions, but as I say, I don't experience it on my latest test crafts. If your craft is stock I can have a look at it sometime tomorrow and see if I get the same issue, if you can send me the file?

Sorry, I don't have any more suggestions, but as I say, I don't experience it on my latest test crafts. If your craft is stock I can have a look at it sometime tomorrow and see if I get the same issue, if you can send me the file?

i can pm you a craft file im pretty sure its stock other then the IR parts, how ever i wasnt really here looking for that sort of help so in the future as to not derail the thread lets move this conversation else where.

returning to my original point i think there is merit in wheel alignment option being integrated.

returning to my original point i think there is merit in wheel alignment option being integrated.

Wheel alignment can be achieved by presets and changing the Move To Center command to one of them. Means you can press that button and they'll all go back to facing forward. Yes it's not an automatic system, but its relatively straightforward to pull off.

If we were to do an auto-alignment feature it would have to be as a separate plugin (like the sequencer) and I'd want it to do a whole load of steering stuff too (including handle Mecanum wheels). An option for the future maybe, but not in the short term.

Wheel alignment can be achieved by presets and changing the Move To Center command to one of them. Means you can press that button and they'll all go back to facing forward. Yes it's not an automatic system, but its relatively straightforward to pull off.

If we were to do an auto-alignment feature it would have to be as a separate plugin (like the sequencer) and I'd want it to do a whole load of steering stuff too (including handle Mecanum wheels). An option for the future maybe, but not in the short term.

I'd prefer that this and any request involving solar tracking be done in the new API. This would just add, in my opinion bloat, to the plugin. I'll never use either of those features.

im not talking about automatic alignment, im talking about the visual indicators you get in b9 with the red and green lines

im not talking about automatic alignment, im talking about the visual indicators you get in b9 with the red and green lines

That is a firespitter module that you can add yourself using MM.

That is a firespitter module that you can add yourself using MM.

i cant find the documentation for this, also that still doesnt mean its not a good idea to just integrate it for release anyway, since firespitter is a core community module and as you say it would require no effort to do so

Edited by endl

i cant find the documentation for this, also that still doesnt mean its not a good idea to just integrate it for release anyway, since firespitter is a core community module and as you say it would require no effort to do so

Its as simple as opening the file for the wheels you talking about from B9

@Part[Enter part name here]
{
MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
}
}

Its as simple as opening the file for the wheels you talking about from B9

@Part[Enter part name here]
{
MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
}
}

Since this discussion is about wheels, it should really be moved over to the Model Rework thread, so this can remain about the IR plugin. Also if you post over there endl please show what this Firespitter module actually does, as I'm more open to including extra plugins in the Rework if they can be shown to enhance user experience.

Since this discussion is about wheels, it should really be moved over to the Model Rework thread, so this can remain about the IR plugin. Also if you post over there endl please show what this Firespitter module actually does, as I'm more open to including extra plugins in the Rework if they can be shown to enhance user experience.

sure thing im just going to post this in both threads:Gn1ioxV.jpg this module should be intergrated

after using the FS alignment module fixing my wheels and disabling torque my rover no longer drifts. so you can see how helpful this is i couldn't eye ball the needed changes and using symmetrical angles was not the correct solution

Edited by endl

Update will be posted here asap, we're only waiting on some dependencies to update.

Note that KSP 1.0 broke some things with the Model Rework parts so if you're using them you should download the latest versions once the new Infernal Robotics goes live.

using symmetrical angles was not the correct solution

How was entering actual hard numbers for angles "not correct"? If everything is properly symmetrical and using the same angles, surely things will be aligned? Are the actual angles not accurate enough? :confused:

I downloaded and installed IR 0.20.

KSP complains about incompatible version of KSPAPIExtensions, and no IR icon shows up.

Installed latest KSPAPIExtensions, KSP no longer complains but IR still does not work.

I downloaded and installed IR 0.20.

KSP complains about incompatible version of KSPAPIExtensions, and no IR icon shows up.

Installed latest KSPAPIExtensions, KSP no longer complains but IR still does not work.

Link was updated for curse. Download and have fun!

Edited by sirkut

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.