1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

How do I get the side parts of this craft to not rotate the central part? I'm trying to get this concept working, but I can't figure out how to get it to not rotate the central part and act like wheels. I tried using uncontrolled parts, didn't work, tried counterrotation, didn't work.

screenshot78_zpsgsa4vrpb.png

How do I get the side parts of this craft to not rotate the central part? I'm trying to get this concept working, but I can't figure out how to get it to not rotate the central part and act like wheels. I tried using uncontrolled parts, didn't work, tried counterrotation, didn't work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot78_zpsgsa4vrpb.png

Only with kOS or something like that via stabilizing the central part

Hello

I got a problem with symmetry radial or symmetry mirror with hinges.

I want symmetry and I don't want this:That's what I get using Mirror or Radial symmetry

953182screenshot79.png

I want this and I can only get it by construction: It build one hinge behind one tank and then another hinge behind the other tank. So it's not really symmetry. i want to add engine on hinge so I do need real symmetry.

467158screenshot80.png

What is the trick with hinges?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot78_zpsgsa4vrpb.png

I don't see why you would need KOS. If you added a heavy counter weight to the bottom of the pod. As well as strong SAS possibly even RCS it should stabilize. It's no different than Zodious's mechnum wheels. Just a docking washer at the base of the wheels right? Now if you want proper steering control yes you will absolutely need KOS to mix the controls properly to turn while driving. But with enough SAS anything is possible ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello

I want symmetry and I don't want this:That's what I get using Mirror or Radial symmetry

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/953182screenshot79.png

I want this and I can only get it by construction: It build one hinge behind one tank and then another hinge behind the other tank. So it's not really symmetry. i want to add engine on hinge so I do need real symmetry.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/467158screenshot80.png

Have you tried putting the hinge on a single tank, then grab and place that tank with symmetry mode?

Hello

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/953182screenshot79.png

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/467158screenshot80.png

Legacy hinges are bugged unfortunately. Please try using Zodius rework parts.

i have a bug with this and the nuclear power mod from nertea, what happens is that , when i extend the radiators, the thermal control system(medium) on the flat 3.75m reactor, 4 parts over heat, 2 z400 batterys attatched via offset adaptotron to a vessel, and 2 solar 1x2 trusses. its only these parts, and i cant for the life of me find out whats causing it. extending 1 radiator, its alright. but a bit after i extend them all, they all combust, at the same time. i have IR robotics updated to latest version FAR aerospace to haack version, and im using IR rework parts.

accidentally posted this on the WIP IR rework thread too :P

Completely emptied my bag of tricks for this, but thanks to all the info from Ziw I have been able to get this baby walking much the way I wanted it to, with as much torso stability as I think I can expect to ever get. This would have been absolutely impossible without that assistance, so thanks again!

Unfortunately you can't. Sometimes you can use multiple joints, but since the ship has to have the parts in a tree structure you can't connect the lower part of the leg to two joints as such. What you can do, though, is connect a structural piece to the second joint and strap it (strut it) to the main leg. It's not ideal but it's about the only workaround.

How do i make the pivoting joints stronger? I have a large ship using the wide angle pivot as part of the landing equipment, but the pivot isnt strong enough to hold the ship up. It just gives out.
Unfortunately you can't. Sometimes you can use multiple joints, but since the ship has to have the parts in a tree structure you can't connect the lower part of the leg to two joints as such. What you can do, though, is connect a structural piece to the second joint and strap it (strut it) to the main leg. It's not ideal but it's about the only workaround.

Not sure if this helps or not but.... Another option for flexing IR joints is Quantum struts (Or when re-released by the IR team, Robostruts) Here is a video I made showing the flex of engine nacelles before and after quantum struts while holding a hover with:

Vertical Velocity Control

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/t...

Horizontal Landing Control

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/t...

Quantum Struts Continued

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...utside-the-VAB!

Edited by V8jester

HELP! I'm trying to use Closed Powered Hinges to achieve the folding wings of a carrier aircraft. It keeps setting the part on both sides, but the parts keep the same orientation and the other hinge turns the attached part from inside the wing attached directly to the aircraft. What can I do to fix this problem?

I am curious about the warning "Do not attach docking ports directly (or indirectly) to IR parts. It will make your life miserable. You have been warned!".

Does this mean that a docking port can't be a child of an IR part or that a docking port can't be in the same vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

I am curious about the warning "Do not attach docking ports directly (or indirectly) to IR parts. It will make your life miserable. You have been warned!".

Does this mean that a docking port can't be a child of an IR part or that a docking port can't be in the same vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

Over time (and with enough dockings) both will cause problems.

Suggestion: Add a thermal mass modifier to the robotic parts. Their mass has to be low to avoid over-stressing the physics joint, but this also means they overheat fairly quickly via conduction of heat from nearby larger parts with a lot of thermal energy in them.

Tangentially, the mass of the robotic parts could actually be reduced. In my (rather extensive) testing and building with IR parts it seems to me that that mass is, in fact, not a signficant factor with respect to the wobbliness of the internal physics joint. Indeed, I have been able to pin a lot of the issues I've had with wobbliness on mech legs down to the mass of the rest of the ship and, oddly, ground physics. Parts directly touching the ground behave extremely strangely, sliding around on their part connections and so on. Landing gear or wheels make the strangeness completely disappear.

The absolute strength of the robotic joint itself is indeed low relative to the weight of most parts, but I've overcome that problem by making my mech parts weigh almost nothing... the leg sections are 0.05 each, the arms are 0.1 each, etc. This actually makes the two ankle joints per foot the heaviest part of the leg, giving them a high momentum relative to the rest of the craft and causing it to shake around a little bit during the higher speed movements.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.