1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

Depends on vessel construction and what you dock with. It also depends on what IR parts you use. I think some are more sensitive than others. With KIS this is less of an issue than it used to be for simple setups. I built a robotic arm on a station with KIS and it held up okay for a while. And then after multiple dockings it was floating in the air several meters from the station. I'll either rebuild it or destroy it.

Edited by Tarheel1999

I'm having the same problem i've found others to be having where the IR button does not show up (and debug log is spammed with exceptions from IR), but there seems to be no solution except to remove blizzy's toolbar mod.

Is there any way to force infernal robotics to use the standard AppLauncher icon instead of blizzy's toolbar? Adding some option to the IR config.xml file?

Currently, when adding any IR part to a vessel, my KSP log gets spammed with the following exception inside the VAB (we're talking as many exceptions as my CPU can spew per second):

[EXC 16:41:30.815] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
InfernalRobotics.Gui.ControlsGUI.OnGUI ()

Launching the vessel (it's a command pod with a rotatatron on top), there is still no IR button and no way to control the parts.

Reverting to the VAB, and once again the exception spam continues.

There is no option to add the IR button to blizzy's toolbar (it's simply not in the list), the stock AppLauncher icon is also not visible.

It appears as though IR cannot find the toolbar object instance to add it's button to, as made apparent by the following exception that appears on the main KSP start screen, and anytime I change scene (from what i can tell):

[LOG 16:35:42.539] IR: [GUI] awake
[EXC 16:35:42.555] TargetException: Non-static method requires a target.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
InfernalRobotics.Gui.ToolbarManager.add (System.String ns, System.String id)
InfernalRobotics.Gui.ControlsGUI.Awake ()
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
GameDatabase:StartLoad()
LoadingScreen:Start()

From my understanding looking at the IR source, the add() function is being called on a null object ( ToolbarManager == null ) , not clear on how this is happening.

These exceptions are thrown every time Awake() or OnDestroy() is being called (because the button / toolbar / GUI hasn't been created?) and although it may not be directly related (we all know how crashy KSP can get with mods) whenever my game crashes, this is always the only recent exception in the game log.

If possible, please either add an exception handler to the toolbar handling code and fallback to the standard AppLauncher toolbar if the ToolbarManager instance is null?

Failing that, can anyone provide a copy of their GameData\toolbar-settings.dat file to see if manually adding the IR button into the config will fix the exception?

I have performed both a fresh install of IR, and a fresh install of KSP to no avail. Removing blizzy's toolbar mod, fixes the problem, but IR is supposed to be compatible with blizzy's toolbar and I don't really want to lose it, but may just have to bite the bullet.

I've searched on these forums, on reddit, and across the mighty google, and either the problem goes unresolved, or the user mysteriously fixes the issue without any insight (in the cases where it's the same problem, i suspect they no longer have the toolbar mod installed, as that's the only way i've found to fix this issue)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love your mod and appreciate the hard work that has gone into it's development and is a shame to be plagued by what would seem to be such a simple issue.

I have uploaded a copy of my KSP.log file (I truncated a lot of the repeated exceptions as the log file was over 50MB)

http://www.megafileupload.com/9h5i/KSP.txt

These are the mods I currently have installed ouput from AVC:

KSP: 1.0.4 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Chatterer - 0.9.6.86

ChuteSafetyIndicator - 1.0.2

Contract Pack: Base Construction - 0.2.1

Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.1

Contract Pack: Kerbal Space Station - 2.2.1

Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 2.0

Contract Pack: Grand Tour Contracts - 0.1.7

Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts - 0.3.10

Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.2

Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor - 1.4

CC-CP-SCANSat - 0.5.2.1

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.3

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2

Infernal Robots - 0.21.3

Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.4

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.4

Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.3

Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.18

Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.2

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

SCANsat - 1.1.4.2

Waypoint Manager - 2.4.2

TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.5.1.7

QuickGoTo - 1.2

QuickScroll - 1.3.1

QuickSearch - 1.1.3

RCS Build Aid - 0.7.2

RemoteTech - 1.6.7

TweakScale - 2.2.1

[x] Science! - 4.8

MKS - 0.31.6

Freight Transport Tech - 0.4.1

EVAHandrailsPackContinued - 0.2

KW-Rocketry-Community-Fixes - 0.2

Firespitter - 7.1.4

UbioWeldingLtd - 2.1.2

TAC Life Support - 0.11.1.20

Olympic1's Icon Packs - 0.6

Near Future Electrical - 0.5.2

KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.4.9

SpaceY Lifters - 1.0.3

USI Tools - 0.4.2

Filter Extensions - 2.4.1

DMagic Orbital Science - 1.0.8

Universal Storage - 1.1.0.7

Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.15

SpaceTux: Shared Assets - 0.3.6

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.4

Contract Configurator - 1.7.2

StageRecovery - 1.5.7

Regarding my previous post, after spending a few hours more scouring over google for solutions, I have proven Einstein's definition of madness wrong (trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results).

I have no idea, what has happened, but the IR button is now available in the toolbar.

I have just deleted and redownloaded both the toolbar mod, and IR. This did not fix the issue, button not available, same exception spam.

I deleted the toolbar-settings.dat file. This did not fix the issue.

I removed all mods except IR and toolbar. This did not fix the issue.

I created a new save. This did not fix the issue.

*smashing head on keyboard*

I removed the toolbar DLL to go and do some messing around in sandbox mode using rockets and rotatatrons to try slingshotting kerbals across the ocean - don't ask why ;)

I decided I would just play without blizzy's toolbar and deal with the ever increasing stock toolbar until I got any feedback about this bug, but first, I must add the toolbar back again, to enable the option to set certain mods back to use stock toolbar.

and then, the OMFGWTF moment happened.... the IR button is available to add to the toolbar!??? but, how!? I haven't changed anything since I re-installed the mods (and it wasn't working), i had simply moved the toolbar DLL out of my game folder, and had now moved the file back again, to let me change settings.

I'm stumped as to what has actually happened, and why, on the moment of giving up, it is now working. I did not imagine the problem. The exception spam was happening, the IR button was not available. Now it is. Go figure! Gremlins!

Touching wood here as I reboot KSP and hope the button remains on blizzy's toolbar.

Incase anyone finds this small bit of info useful. The entry in toolbar-settings.dat for IR, is "sirkut.IREditorButton", as I was wondering if manually adding this to the toolbar-settings file, would make the button magically appear. So...... incase anyone else who has been having this problem stumbles back to this post - try that. If not. Then try adding and removing both mods. Creating new save games. Smashing your head into your keyboard. Praying to the lords of the internet. Eventually it might magic itself into existance.

Final words, once again, thankyou for your amazing work on this mod, even though i'm completely baffled as to what cause and, eventually, what fixed, this tedious problem :)

Sorry about your experience. I've never had any problems with blizzy's toolbar, although I find it a bit inconvenient that IR uses blizzy's if its available and does not let you choose whether or not you actually want to use it.

When 1.1 hits we'll add a small configuration window where you'll be able to change that and some other options.

This is one of the most .... mods I have every used no mod is more fustrating then this ,there isn't even a sequencing function for it!, it switches around the values all the time and using it with symmetry is impossible. Like ... it is lucky it is the only mod that does this function or no one would use it. Unless you want to use it for non symmetric things ,even then it is buggy as hell, then it would be OKAY.

This is one of the most .... mods I have every used no mod is more fustrating then this ,there isn't even a sequencing function for it!, it switches around the values all the time and using it with symmetry is impossible. Like ... it is lucky it is the only mod that does this function or no one would use it. Unless you want to use it for non symmetric things ,even then it is buggy as hell, then it would be OKAY.

There are definitely some frustrating challenges to overcome when using this mod, but that's because this mod is very complex. I don't mean complex to use, I mean the functionality it provides is inherently complex. If you've used other mods of equivalent complexity, you might realize they'll have the same kinds of issues. Seriously, try working with KOS. This is true of everything in the world, in fact. The higher the complexity, the more frustrating you'll find it.

I understand your pain. Sometimes with KOS and IR (and even BD Armory to some extent) I feel like I'm fighting the system, like it's specifically designed to make my life difficult. But that's because I'm using complex stuff to do complex things, and the base game that is KSP just doesn't work the way you might think it does. Don't let that fool you into thinking that these mods are somehow poorly constructed.

Solutions *can* be found, even if they're not always the most elegant. If IR (and KOS, and BDA) were really that buggy, do you think I'd be able to produce something

using all three together?

Any word on getting the new KOS integration to work with non-focused vessels? I've

using the legacy implementation (module:doaction etc), but getting that integrated addon working would make aiming much easier and would also reduce the number of instructions pretty significantly, which would improve performace a lot and prevent the game slowing down when there are several mechs walking around (like in that video)

I was having the black texture issue and tried to resolve it, before doing so I had all the parts just not with anything but black textures, after doing the removal and install it will not show the parts anymore in the list. What would I need to do to resolve this issue?

Wondering, are they ever planning on adding extra control options, such as having the various joints being able to react to WASDQE imputs? If that was ever added I would have endless joy~

Working on it.

kOS allows pilot controls for input, I've created an inverse kinematic routine, so controlling a robotic arm with 6 degrees of freedom may be possible with a joystick as well.

I've just been watching DasValdez's stream and this useful piece of info came to my attention: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79594-Docking-and-Vessel-Type-Rules-

He did some testing and it seems that if you make the thing you're docking to a lower priority then the side with the IR parts will remain as the parent. Maybe some people have time to test this and report their findings? Would be nice to add more info to the current red text about IR + Docking ports.

Okay, I've been driving myself crazy trying to get this to work, so I figure I may as well just ask if its even possible with the basic parts.

What I'm trying to do is make it so the middle section of my ship rotates (IE, centrifuge) but I don't want the sections directly in front of and behind it to rotate along with it. I've tried pairing a docking washer with the free moving one, but the results are less than stellar, as the section past the free moving washer tends to rotate on its own. I've also tried pairing two docking washers and that doesn't work right either.

So is this possible or no?

How should I interpret a warning on the OP page?

"Do not attach docking to IR parts directly or indirectly".

Having IR parts and docking ports on same ship counts as indirectly?

Or docking ports should not be on the way from ship core part to all the IR parts? On the way, I mean, in the middle of branches, since ships in KSP are tree-like structures, as files and, I think, in memory?

You never want to attach or detach anything to or from your ship so that the new thing is between your root part and that other ship. So extendable/rotatable booms with solar panels or radiators or the like are fine, but those with docking ports (or - in my experience - decouplers) will cause wonkiness.

And that wonkiness is probably going to come in the form of things not being connected correctly (visually and/or otherwise) and/or parts attached to moving parts not moving properly when moved... did that come out right? I confused myself again...

On the other hand, I have seen docking ports used on IR parts effectively, but it's not something that is easy to accomplish when you intend to dock/undock more than once.

To expand on what Gaalidas said, there seems to be some underlying rules in KSP that govern the docking/undocking process of two craft (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79594). Some situations work with docking ports on the end of IR parts some don't. I've only recently become aware of this so there's been no testing as to what rules work with IR and what don't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.