1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

Awesome stuff :)

And concrats for fiddling out the UI issue, was going to post some 'helpful' information, but others were much quicker^^

I have a few ideas for additional parts, that would 'complete' your already aweseome set of moving thingies...

Foldatron - Inset Hinge:

It's basically a normal foldatron hinge, but with both ends beeing of the inset form factor. -> Another layer of foldception :D

Extendatron-trusses:

Basically like the mechanical dual-rail parts, which are really cool for enlarging your pe.. err.. Foldatron-contraption, but with integrated servohydraulics. -> Another neat layer of extendception :wink:

And a bonus idea, which has more or less already brought up:

Apply one TextureSwitcher to the models, so we can add different textures. (Kuka-orange, Festo-gray, Skynet-silver, Faro-blue, etc... hrhrhr)

Last but not least, a question:

Is it possible to use your robot parts in conjunction with KIS/KAS and the IR sequencer to assemble more robotic arms? (Robotic arms=awesome megadrones)

I'm going for some sort of Von-Neumann principle, building a drone that lands on a resource rich world, mines and digs, does some ISRU and multiplies itself until the entire universe is filled with... drones... gigantic ones... :D

11 minutes ago, h0yer said:

I have a few ideas for additional parts, that would 'complete' your already aweseome set of moving thingies...

Well, I've never used any 3D modelling software, all the parts I use myself are done by @ZodiusInfuser, but we welcome anyone to try and make more IR parts or improve the existing ones.

Apply one TextureSwitcher to the models, so we can add different textures. (Kuka-orange, Festo-gray, Skynet-silver, Faro-blue, etc... hrhrhr)

It's a good idea, but I'm even worse at texturing than at 3D modelling. 

Is it possible to use your robot parts in conjunction with KIS/KAS and the IR sequencer to assemble more robotic arms? (Robotic arms=awesome megadrones)

I haven't checked in 1.1, but it was possible before (though after assembly you must change scene or save/load the game). I'll post a beta version of IR Sequencer with new UI tonight.

Edited by Ziw

Just now, MrMeeb said:

I think I broke something! :D 

Emm.... Could you be more descriptive? I don't see anything wrong on the screenshot as I don;t understand what I'm supposed to see in the first place

Just now, Ziw said:

Emm.... Could you be more descriptive? I don't see anything wrong on the screenshot as I don;t understand what I'm supposed to see in the first place

It's not a bug report, don't worry haha. The mod is working perfectly so far! Just some user error :P

For reference, this is what it should look like:

0bApZqn.png

I can get it as far as this (I'm trying to get it flat), but I haven't quite figured out how to get it any further

2zuZ56W.png

2 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

It's not a bug report, don't worry haha. The mod is working perfectly so far! Just some user error :P

Ah, sorry, I'm just so used to bug reports so I expected the worst first :)

Just now, Ziw said:

Ah, sorry, I'm just so used to bug reports so I expected the worst first :)

No worries :) As a feature suggestion (if I'm allowed to make those), would it be possible to be able to 'unlock' joints, turning them from a motor to a free pivot? I feel it would be especially useful in things like the extendatrons, providing more options and flexibility. 

Just now, MrMeeb said:

No worries :) As a feature suggestion (if I'm allowed to make those), would it be possible to be able to 'unlock' joints, turning them from a motor to a free pivot? I feel it would be especially useful in things like the extendatrons, providing more options and flexibility. 

Of course you are allowed, that is what this thread is for :) Although translating parts (gantries, extendatrons) currently cannot be uncontrolled, only rotating parts can be set as uncontrolled.

As soon as we release a stable 2.0 version of IR and stable 1.0 version of Sequencer, I'll try to experiment with Joints and see if we can solve some longstanding issues (like docking issue).

Also in the pipeline I have suspension and damping for translating parts (think proper hydraulics) and limited torque for servos (right now a tiny servo can move huge parts).

13 minutes ago, Ziw said:

....Also in the pipeline I have suspension and damping for translating parts (think proper hydraulics) and limited torque for servos (right now a tiny servo can move huge parts).

On that note, can I let out a shreek of concern?

On crafts such as an osprey or where people that use Rotatrons as rotor shafts on helicopters. With a heavy rotating engine naucelle. Or high speed set of blades. The Rotatrons tend to be fairly small. Would you consider making this limit something that could later be adjusted or removed through a cfg or GUI option? I have to admit I like the idea, but an nervous some currently designed crafts will become obsolete.

1 minute ago, V8jester said:

On that note, can I let out a shreek of concern?

On crafts such as an osprey or where people that use Rotatrons as rotor shafts on helicopters. With a heavy rotating engine naucelle. Or high speed set of blades. The Rotatrons tend to be fairly small. Would you consider making this limit something that could later be adjusted or removed through a cfg or GUI option? I have to admit I like the idea, but an nervous some currently designed crafts will become obsolete.

Don't worry, if this gets implemented, it will be optional and toggleable in the UI and/or part config.

We actually had an argument with Zodius re: this idea, and he said he has enough problems with real-life robotics he has to solve on daily basis, so current somewhat simplified IR model lets him unwind and focus on creative aspect of robotics instead of dealing with complications.

2 minutes ago, smjjames said:

IR 2.0 includes all the Model Rework stuff, right?

No, you have to download the model rework separately, and avoid using wheels or landing legs. Zodius is really busy, so he is not able to update IR part rework at the moment. I was lucky to get several hours of his time to work on UI.

Edited by Ziw

Oh and by the way. The new UI is fantastic! The new IR helper as great for plotting out builds and the ability to actually adjust the size, opacity.... Every time I think you guys have "perfected" IR, some new feature appears. And the fact that Zodious's parts are now complimented by the new UI scheme. At all has really come together extremely well.

@Ziw I haven't mentioned it as I assume it is just a pre release thing. The acceleration in a joint hasn't appeared to be working in Revision 4. Just something to be polished out for the final release right?

Edited by V8jester

Just now, V8jester said:

Oh and by the way. The new UI is fantastic! The new IR helper as great for plotting out builds and the ability to actually adjust the size, opacity.... Every time I think you guys have "perfected" IR, some new feature appears. And the fact that Zodious's parts are now complimented by the new UI scheme. At all has really come together extremely well.

Oh @Ziw I haven't mentioned it as I assume it is just a pre release thing. The acceleration in a joint hasn't appeared to be working in Revision 4. Just something to be polished out for the final release right?

Thank you! Could you please elaborate on acceleration? Changing acceleration in UI does not work? or the acceleration itself does not work?

Just now, Ziw said:

Thank you! Could you please elaborate on acceleration? Changing acceleration in UI does not work? or the acceleration itself does not work?

Well previously the parts would accelerate / decelerat when moved. I have only spent about 10 minutes in 1.1 (been a busy week) and just throwing a couple parts on a pod, they would move but would move abruptly in flight. Is it just that they are set default to be like that now and I need to fiddle with the accel settings? I admit I didn't even try adjusting it yet, I was too inamered with the new UI and then had to put down the game - life intervened.

6 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Well previously the parts would accelerate / decelerat when moved. I have only spent about 10 minutes in 1.1 (been a busy week) and just throwing a couple parts on a pod, they would move but would move abruptly in flight. Is it just that they are set default to be like that now and I need to fiddle with the accel settings? I admit I didn't even try adjusting it yet, I was too inamered with the new UI and then had to put down the game - life intervened.

Hmm, you are half-correct. Pressing and holding the button accelerates properly, but releasing it stops the movement abruptly. I'll look into into it right now.

Just now, Ziw said:

Hmm, you are half-correct. Pressing and holding the button accelerates properly, but releasing it stops the movement abruptly. I'll look into into it right now.

Ok, I'm not crazy :) well..... Anyway.

thanks Ziw.

22 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Ok, I'm not crazy :) well..... Anyway.

thanks Ziw.

Thank you! I've found the bug, it was caused by CodeMaid reformatting some code and removing some pair of  "(" in the code it thought were excessive resulting in completely borked logical expression. I love technology :)

7 minutes ago, Ziw said:

Thank you! I've found the bug, it was caused by CodeMaid reformatting some code and removing some pair of  "(" in the code it thought were excessive resulting in completely borked logical expression. I love technology :)

For the love of donuts! That was fast!

Just now, V8jester said:

For the love of donuts! That was fast!

Well 1) I knew where to look and 2) with U5 I finally have a proper Debugger for mods. Will post an update tomorrow.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎21 at 10:26 PM, artemiseritu said:

UI Elements are all garbled up.  The IR UI icon displays as other mods' icons e.g. mechjeb and editor extensions icons show in place of IR robotic arm icon.

UI background is white.

I had a look through the differences between the old stable version 0.21.4, and the Textures folder was removed, and replaced with an AssetBundles folder in the IR Model Rework - v02 Pre-Release Beta.  Old Textures were actually physically in the Textures folder.  Now, there's an ir_ui_objects.ksp file in the AssetBundles.  I Think the issues arise because mods are external dlls and assets are usually internal to KSP.

This makes me wonder why the decision was made to switch from a Textures folder to an AssetBundles folder in the first place.

I have tried reinstalling fresh with IR from a manual download.  Problem persists no matter what I tried.

When I go back to ksp v1.0.5 install with the matching IR version 0.21.4, everything works fine.

You fixed it!  You really fixed it!! :D

Uh oh, I found another issue.  When using the IR wheels, anything I build starts flopping and flipping around like a fish just after you caught it.  The stock wheels work fine. (Beta rc-1, with ksp 1.1)

Edited by artemiseritu

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.