1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

Here's my setup, and I do have KJR installed.

KooStau.png

It rotates just fine in the VAB

0BUQ0W7.png

But when I get out into the world:

bI8SHLW.png

That's when everything goes wrong

VL0nSHg.png

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING?

And before you suggest it, I need KJR installed otherwise my Shuttle completely falls apart.

Edited by Brainpop14

36 minutes ago, Brainpop14 said:

Here's my setup, and I do have KJR installed.

It rotates just fine in the VAB

But when I get out into the world:

That's when everything goes wrong

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING?

And before you suggest it, I need KJR installed otherwise my Shuttle completely falls apart.

One of two things is happening. You are using autostruts (I assume not)

Or you are using the latest "Full Release" of KJR (more likely)

Two posts above yours is a link to all 1.2.2 files for all things IR. In that list is a "DEV" version of KJR that will work with IR 2.0.10

Edited by V8jester

Autostruts is a feature in 1.2, read more in

Basically you can configure one invisible strut per part connecting it with grandparent, heaviest or root vehicle part.

And you should not be using it by default, unless you check the "advanced tweakables" option in the settings of the game.

P.S. Had the same problem with hinges not working in flight, while working in editor. Dev version of KJR fixed this. Thanks V8jester

Edited by limofs
update

I don't think that's the right version. Either that or I didn't install it correctly. I actually cross-referenced the mod version in that link with the latest full release and they're identical. Either you've got the wrong link, or I didn't install it correctly.

@V8jester I have tested the latest release of both IR (2.0.10) and the new dev release of KJR with the recent fixes concerning IR. I can report back that I believe the KJR fix is working properly with IR, because with the full release enabled, my ship prevents itself from going full kraken due to a SOI shift, and with the new version, the robotic parts freak out but nothing breaks... at least for a really long time until ridiculous torque levels are reached. With no KJR installed I get regular ol' explosive kracken on my solar array booms from the rotatron->hinge->robo-poles. I understand that a recent release from december attempted a fix for the drift, but I can confirm that it does not. My craft was exiting the SOI of minmus to escape kerbin SOI when I returned to find the kraken, leading me to reload with old/full-release version of KJR and the robo parts were stiff and safe. upgrading to dev release of KJR reengaged robo-drift-kraken on the same craft even after having 'saved' it with KJR. Another variable at play, whose relevance I am unsure, is that previous to my warp through SOI I had engaged the locks on the rotatrons. I hope that if drift cannot be fully fixed, that the out of control kraken nature of it can be... they are infinitely flopping, even as they attempt to obey my commands. I merely reorient the tentacles with the servo controls. This all makes me assume that some sort of damping parameter would not work. If you could explain your understanding of why this happens, perhaps that would be helpful to the community in solving this issue. For now, I am forced to be extremely careful with my craft and save files, and selectively reload certain craft using the not-working-with-IR KJR release. 

EDIT: further testing has now spread the kraken to different save files, before any SOI changes. This is truly disconcerting because it implies I can't just save the game and revert to be safe... I cannot use this ship and IR simultaneously. Please, fix this bug :( 

Edited by betelphi

Is anyone else having trouble with the scaling/scrolling of the editor window?

The settings scaler simply shrinks or enlarges the whole thing. Dialogue box, buttons and text are uniformly resized by the slider, but I still can't view the options fully. Especially far right options like inversions, or even as far left as the presets button on parts with longer names are cut off by the editor window's limit. As I add more parts a scroll bar appears for up/down, but regardless of how many parts added to the list, no horizontal scrollbar appears. Naturally, this makes certain builds impossible without manipulating those much needed servos. 

I'm trying to build a spider bot to plant lights on the ceiling of a ca-- well, it's a dark place. :wink: If I can't invert servos and properly limit the legs, it's going to take forever to "climb" into position. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.S. For those having troubles mirroring your servos: Place a small cubic strut, wing, panel or any other part appropriate for your attachment (surface/node) anywhere and build your servo on that. Build the full structure of the part assembly you'd like mirrored before you place it properly though, that way you maintain a perfect symmetry. Once you're finished, be sure you grab your new moving assembly to its proper place by the part you started with under your servo(s.) Eureka! Perfect servo symmetry! Note that you may still need to invert your motors, depending on function. My current dilemma.

On 8/10/2016 at 7:13 AM, dd_8630 said:

Heya, I love IR, but I'm having an infuriating bug.

A staple on my ships is to have a 90° hinge with several long thin metal beams, off of which are multiple Gigantor solar panels. They start off flush against the ship, and when I'm in orbit/landed, the hinge rotates, the beams now stick out from the ship, my panels extend, and voila, huge solar plant.

Now this all works fine... except when I load the ship back up. Some kind of physics 'wobble' occurs, making the hinge (I think) spin clockwise and counterclockwise wildly. This makes the metal beams and the solar panels spin all over the place, eventually tumbling the ship over and breaking everything.

For now I've just removed the IR hinges, but it makes me sad because I loved that setup. Anyone know if there's some tweak or setting that stops IR hinges from spazzing out like that when I load the ship? Reloading an old save just leads to the same problem.

Thanks!

Looks like I am having the same issue in the same circumstance! This is an ongoing problem clearly. My craft in question does have USI parts but nothing inflatable. 

7 hours ago, betelphi said:

@V8jester I have tested the latest release of both IR (2.0.10) and the new dev release of KJR

[snip]

So you are having an issue with IR parts centering ability moving through COI? Or you are having an issue with parts drifting in unusual ways / apart from one another?

Next question is. Are you using "Legacy" parts or "rework" parts? Legacy parts are no longer being developed / maintained. But all the rework parts are in working order.

6 hours ago, TheLionsBite said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the scaling/scrolling of the editor window?

[snip]

The scaling got me at the beginning as well. There is a very small grey dot on the lower right corner of the window. Click and drag it out to make the window bigger without adjusting the size of everything in the window.

@V8jester

I got some fiddle around with the numbers and i found an error in your file for the Mechanical Grasper. You hade KASModuleMagnet instead of KASModuleHarpoon.

I also made the part itself stronger, and tweaked the magnet/harpoon-strength separatly.

//IR - KAS Streagth Upgrade - V8Jester

//Infernal Robotics
@PART[IR_MagneticGrabber]
{
	@breakingForce = 999
	@breakingTorque = 999

@MODULE[KASModuleMagnet] 
	{
		@breakForce = 400
	}

}
@PART[IR_MechanicalGrasper]
{
	@breakingForce = 999
	@breakingTorque = 999

@MODULE[KASModuleHarpoon] 
	{
		@partBreakForce = 200
		@staticBreakForce = 600	
	}

}

// KAS
@PART[KAS_Hook_Magnet]
{

@MODULE[KASModuleMagnet] 
	{
		@partBreakForce = 999
	}

@MODULE[KASModulePort]
	{
		@breakForce = 999
	}

}

@PART[KAS_Hook_Harpoon]
{

{
		@partBreakForce = 999
		@staticBreakForce = 999
	}

@MODULE[KASModulePort]
	{
		@breakForce = 999
	}

}

@PART[KAS_Hook_GrapplingHook]
{

{
		@partBreakForce = 999
		@staticBreakForce = 999
	}

@MODULE[KASModulePort]
	{
		@breakForce = 999
	}

}	

@PART[KAS_Hook_Anchor]
{

@MODULE[KASModulePort]
	{
		@breakForce = 999
	}

}

TY for pointing in the right direction.

Oh, btw, KAS1beta is out with a new version too. 0.7.3 New rope-connector :)

/Rikard

I was looking for a solution to having a tumble-resistant interplanetary ship during aerobreaking, thought I needed IR for it....but I figured it out before I could even install it. BUT...

What are some of the best problems that IR can solve? Besides making VTOLs and robots.

1 hour ago, Zapo147 said:

I was looking for a solution to having a tumble-resistant interplanetary ship during aerobreaking, thought I needed IR for it....but I figured it out before I could even install it. BUT...

What are some of the best problems that IR can solve? Besides making VTOLs and robots.

I mainly use IR for cranes, asembling stuff in offworld bases and moving around stuff built in space. Either with a long-reach arm or magnetic attachment on a spacetug.

A small swing-arm with a winch from KAS can lower stuff down crater-sides for when you just have to get to that specific mining site etc.

I used to have a rescue-tow on Mun, a vtol refueller with winches to be able to hoist anything from it's belly or rescue stranded kerbals.

I often play with MKS/USI/EL and have a runway or launchpad2 stationed off planet.

EDIT: Along with Konstruktion with weldable dockingports, it takes building bases and spacestations to a whole new ballpark.

EDIT2: Prototype mountain-rescuer

F3sARJA.png

With the Mechanical Grasper on a small crane-arm and a winch with a harpoon-hook allows you to repell down/up pretty good distances. The heady duty winch goes 80m.

The grasper holds your craft in place while you reposition the winch.

Use the MM-patch-config to strengthen the part-joints.

/Rikard

Edited by mrstoned

18 hours ago, Zapo147 said:

Tighter payloads, by being able to let a power hungry satellite fold out large solar assemblies made off of steel beams / structural parts that are folded to the side, to which the solar panels are attached.

I am desperately waiting for this mod to be fully released. I have always enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for all your hard work <3

Edited by mololabo

20 hours ago, DoubleUU said:

With the dev KJR installed ships which used to launch just fine now collapse on the launchpad.  I'm sure I'm missing something.  Anyone else have that issue?

I seem to have stopped the collapse of the heavier ships using the dev version of KJR by using EER to set autostruts to grandfather parts globally before adding any robotic parts.  Adding the robotic parts after setting autostruts this way seems to work ok.  I was also able to autostrut everything (robotic parts and all) and then un-autostrut the robotic parts only on the launchpad to get them working correctly.  Seems like this is close to a real solution.  I'm still really new so I'm probably making it harder than I need to.  Maybe there should be a way for KJR to ignore robotic parts and their immediate children?  Just thinking out loud so to speak.

On 10/02/2017 at 9:35 AM, V8jester said:

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Fixed for IR

"Dev version - use at your own risk"

Dev version of KJR (Ferram4) https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement

I can't find a link to the Dev version on this page you linked. All I see is the latest official release 3.3.1 which when installed definitely causes all the issues people are describing. 

I did manage to get the latest version by going to the Code page on the KJR Github and downloading the whole thing as a zip. Installing that fixed the issue. I would be willing to bet most of the people still having trouble made the same mistake. 

For those still having issues I suggest you try the same. 

Edited by starchitect

On 1/30/2017 at 11:34 PM, ThePhoenixSol said:

Can anyone help me with this? i got a custom tech tree node working, but yet i cant seem to get the parts to move into the node. i have done this with all the stock tree, and a couple mods up to this point. And I cant seem to find the issue with how im doing it to infernal robotics. 

my code:

//Made By MIke12222222222222 & ThePhoenixSol

//IR Node

@TechTree:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]
{
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[largeUnmanned]]
	{
		@id = IR
		@title = Infernal Robotics
		@description = Mechanics have been a thing for a while, so why not use them with rockets?.
		@cost = 20
		@hideEmpty = False
		@nodeName = node44_IR
		@anyToUnlock = False
		@icon = RDicon_robotics
		@pos = -1500,800,0
		@scale = 0.6
		!Parent,* {}
		Parent
		{
			parentID = science3
			lineFrom = TOP
			lineTo = BOTTOM
		}
}

// Parts

@PART[AdjustableRailScaleable|dockingwasher_stdScaleable|dockingwasher_freeScaleable|GantryLargeScaleable|GantryLargeScaleableVariant|IRHingeClosedScaleable2|IRHingeOpenScaleable|IRHingeTallScaleable|IRHingeTallNDScaleable|IRPistonScaleable|IR_RotatronScaleable|IR_Rotatronmk2Scaleable|IR_RotatronVTOLScaleable|TelescopeFullAScaleable]:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]:FINAL
{
	@TechRequired = IR
}

So i guess no one has an answer to my question?

On 2/11/2017 at 11:48 PM, V8jester said:

The scaling got me at the beginning as well. There is a very small grey dot on the lower right corner of the window. Click and drag it out to make the window bigger without adjusting the size of everything in the window.

Hey, thanks @V8jester! So I actually figured it out before I checked back here, which still only made me feel slightly less noob LMAO!

Edit: I felt complete and total noob-ality when I realized my spider-bot was going to lose her feet the second weight settled on them. I don't know how to use the "MM-patch" you guys referred to so many times in this very thread. Perhaps one of you might link me to a handy tutorial or post one here? The utilitron grabbers are now the only thing stopping me from successful, uh... inversion testing. After that, nothing can stop me from infesting Tylo-- with spidey-lights! 

Edited by TheLionsBite
Punching walls doesn't help climb them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.