1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

29 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Everything linked in that post is specifically intended for KSP 1.2.2

Will not work for KSP 1.1.2

On a side note "KSP Pre release 1.2.9" is out now.

That's what I figured (about the link). Thanks for your great work! Really lovin the mod! Had me some fun making Canadarm2 and Dextre:

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

That's what I figured (about the link). Thanks for your great work! Really lovin the mod! Had me some fun making Canadarm2 and Dextre:

Oh I'm not a Dev. Just a concerned citizen for the health of anything IR. Dextre was a fun I build I worked on a while back :) there is a neat trick to use the top and bottom docking nodes while still maintaining control of dextre and allowing the arms to spin around the docking nodes / central section. If you want some help let me know.

36 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Oh I'm not a Dev. Just a concerned citizen for the health of anything IR. Dextre was a fun I build I worked on a while back :) there is a neat trick to use the top and bottom docking nodes while still maintaining control of dextre and allowing the arms to spin around the docking nodes / central section. If you want some help let me know.

Help? Nah mate, got err done! :P

Check out the link. Album is in there. 

3 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Help? Nah mate, got err done! :P

Check out the link. Album is in there. 

Ahh, yeah on my phone from the Stone Age right now. Couldn't open up all the pics so I didn't see what you had going. Let this be a lesson to those so inclined. Click first and ask questions later :)

@V8jester, since you seem to be in the know :wink: what's the deal with the ''Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Fixed for IR "Dev version - use at your own risk" '' thing? I'm assuming that it's just KJR but modified to accommodate needs from IR? If that is indeed the case, Im assuming that one does not need to also download a separate version of KJR. What are the known issues with this ''adapted'' one?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

@V8jester, since you seem to be in the know :wink: what's the deal with the ''Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Fixed for IR "Dev version - use at your own risk" '' thing? I'm assuming that it's just KJR but modified to accommodate needs from IR? If that is indeed the case, Im assuming that one does not need to also download a separate version of KJR. What are the known issues with this ''adapted'' one?

Cheers!

I just said "use at your own risk" because it is not an actual "release" of KJR. But it is indeed a full Dev version from @ferram4 who is the dev working on KJR

It is the same version I use on my install and have had no issues with it.

On 3/12/2017 at 8:22 AM, Hacki said:

The problem with the sampler not working was caused by my using galileo planet pack and the way the surface sampler code tries to determine if its touching something sample-able. I wrote a patch for that and made a pull request for it on github. 

The weird visual collision glitch remains, but the sampler works whether it "sinks" into the ground or not. 

I am also using GPP and everything IR is working except the sampler. What was your solution to fix this? 

so far, finger crossed, this is the last problem i'm having with a heavily modded game that i'm shocked has run extremely smoothly.. minus giant red spear arrow things on some of my crafts some of the time that i can't duplicate at will..:confused:

Edit: In the midst of me testing my creation over and over the red arrow has reappeared. Does anyone know what this is? Does it have something to do with IR?

7zLWWma.png

Edited by Selrinn

No matter how I spin it, I can't wrap my head around it. Can someone please help me get things moving in the right direction?

OK:)

How do I go about creating a spinning station ring with a stationary core? I hope I don't have take a course in physics, but I guess I need something to counteract the movement? Right now, what I have is both the core and the ring spinning in the opposite directions when in space. Not optimal. I need the core to be stationary. Thanks:)

EDIT: BTW, someone posted a link to this goodness in another very old thread and it works!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/76355-wip-magic-smoke-industries-station-parts-infernal-robotics-required/&page=2

It does not come with the parts linked in this thread. I just can't quite figure out how to make it behave as I'd like it to in space.

11119797876.jpg

PS. I know SSTU comes with a spinning ring but I want to build me own :wink:

PS2. For those having problems with installation, this is how it should look like:

454554756875674.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

@Kerbital - Station rings.

So you have the right idea. You want the core to be much heavier as well as he the controlled part of the station. You als need to stabilize it with some very stron SAS. If you aren't apposed to cheating a little on this one. If you use Tweakscale and B9 there is a huge "HX Reaction wheel" with over 1700 toque. If you use Tweakscale to size it down, then alt+click a copy. The smaller copy will have the same torque settings as a full size part. You can take this one step further with Tweakable everything and double the torque through a new GUI menue. These settings will remain persistant through a save. And this will keep the core of your station rock solid.

52 minutes ago, V8jester said:

@Kerbital - Station rings.

So you have the right idea. You want the core to be much heavier as well as he the controlled part of the station. You als need to stabilize it with some very stron SAS. If you aren't apposed to cheating a little on this one. If you use Tweakscale and B9 there is a huge "HX Reaction wheel" with over 1700 toque. If you use Tweakscale to size it down, then alt+click a copy. The smaller copy will have the same torque settings as a full size part. You can take this one step further with Tweakable everything and double the torque through a new GUI menue. These settings will remain persistant through a save. And this will keep the core of your station rock solid.

Thanks! Yeah, I did some experimenting after posting. Two counter-rotating rings also work. It would be sweet to have actual counterweights. I don't really want two rings and I want my core to be minimal. I wonder if I can hack some fuel tanks to be counterweights. I need to look into their cfg files to see if it's possible to increase their weight to match the weight of the ring. I don't mind some cheating, does not need to be realistic. I'm using the ring from Stational Constructs. Too bad, that mod seems to be abandoned. I dig the looks of the white ring.

Now I have a new problem: KJR indeed breaks IR but the dev version you linked to doesn't seem to work at all for me so larger structures just fall apart. The weakest spot is where the "spokes" attach to the hub. The Rotatron does not seem to be strong enough for a large ring. I'll play around with this more today.

11 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

Thanks! Yeah, I did some experimenting after posting. Two counter-rotating rings also work. It would be sweet to have actual counterweights. I don't really want two rings and I want my core to be minimal. I wonder if I can hack some fuel tanks to be counterweights. I need to look into their cfg files to see if it's possible to increase their weight to match the weight of the ring. I don't mind some cheating, does not need to be realistic. I'm using the ring from Stational Constructs. Too bad, that mod seems to be abandoned. I dig the looks of the white ring.

Now I have a new problem: KJR indeed breaks IR but the dev version you linked to doesn't seem to work at all for me so larger structures just fall apart. The weakest spot is where the "spokes" attach to the hub. The Rotatron does not seem to be strong enough for a large ring. I'll play around with this more today.

I hade similar problems with the grasper and magnet breaking off from my crane.

Edit \GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Expansion\Probe\Robotic\IR_Rotatron_Bearing_Hub\part.cfg

and other part files.

breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200

set to 999 or somthing similar.

I used my own mm-patch-file to increse the joinstrength.

I made a directory under GameData\ and put the file in there.

/Rikard

Either I'm missing something stupidly simple and obvious (I do that a lot) or I'm trying something that is not meant to be. Please read my conclusion at the end and please let me know if I'm getting closer.

This is the core of the hub:

screenshot.2.jpg

This the ring that goes around it:

screenshot.1.jpg

I duplicated the core file, gave it 500T weight and slapped some dark texture on it for a good measure, to be the counterweight:

screenshot.3.jpg

So now I have this (the black ring just above the hub is just a huge capacity battery since I don't like the stock yellow batteries):

screenshot.4.jpg

screenshot.5.jpg

The core still rotates faster than the station wheel while in space! The station wheel is 250T (it's also edited from the original to contain extra fuel), everything else should be negligible and under 300T. The station wheel has torque disabled.

So, I went a bit extreme, added three 500T counterweights and a hacked SAS wheel with 3000 torque, but the core still rotates much faster than the wheel around it :(

CONCLUSION: Assuming I remember my physics correctly, I guess, the 250T station wheel has so much angular force (since all of its weight is far from the axis of rotation) that the core, even at 1500T  with the huge SAS wheel is not enough to counter it. I've no clue how to do the math but it seems that the core has to be either larger to provide more angular counter-forces (I'm making up words as I go...)  or silly-heavy if I want it to be compact. I'll try that later today then.

screenshot.1222.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

1 hour ago, Kerbital said:

Either I'm missing something stupidly simple and obvious (I do that a lot) or I'm trying something that is not meant to be. Please read my conclusion at the end and please let me know if I'm getting closer.

This is the core of the hub:

screenshot.2.jpg

This the ring that goes around it:

screenshot.1.jpg

I duplicated the core file, gave it 500T weight and slapped some dark texture on it for a good measure, to be the counterweight:

screenshot.3.jpg

So now I have this (the black ring just above the hub is just a huge capacity battery since I don't like the stock yellow batteries):

screenshot.4.jpg

screenshot.5.jpg

The core still rotates faster than the station wheel while in space! The station wheel is 250T (it's also edited from the original to contain extra fuel), everything else should be negligible and under 300T. The station wheel has torque disabled.

So, I went a bit extreme, added three 500T counterweights and a hacked SAS wheel with 3000 torque, but the core still rotates much faster than the wheel around it :(

CONCLUSION: Assuming I remember my physics correctly, I guess, the 250T station wheel has so much angular force (since all of its weight is far from the axis of rotation) that the core, even at 1500T  with the huge SAS wheel is not enough to counter it. I've no clue how to do the math but it seems that the core has to be either larger to provide more angular counter-forces (I'm making up words as I go...)  or silly-heavy if I want it to be compact. I'll try that later today then.

screenshot.1222.jpg

For a ring that big, you really need a massive station. Also if you set it to accelerate / decelerat very slowly that will also help. But yeah the station needs to not only be heavy but have its weight spread out. So not just a heavy tube (unless it's ridiculously heavy, like 5-10 times heavier than you have it now.) also the faster you spin it, the harder it is to stabilize.

Yup. Big. It took 5000 counterweight and 20,000 of torque to stabilize this beast. But in the end it's not perfect and not practical. I might be able to get away with lighter counterweight, but still in the tens of tons. Sorry, I don't have any video capture tools installed.

1) I had to use MechJeb's Smart ASS to keep the core stable. The stock SAS would make the whole thing shake. I had to make sure all other SAS modules were disabled, of course.

2) Forget about moving 5000 of mass.

3) The wheel movement isn't smooth, sometimes slows and speeds up, then stops and goes.

4) The whole structure shakes from time to time.

5) Yeah, I had to set breaking forces in cfg to 999.

5) It survives even the fastest warp but shakes ugly afterwards, I have to stop and restart it to stop the shakes.

EDIT->6) Oh yeah, and I had to enable "No crash damage" and "Unbreakable joints" in Cheats. Otherwise placing this mass on the launchpad would result in an instant explosion.

So, in the end I'm not going to put any of my Kerbals on it:) This might work with a smaller ring though. The ring is TweakScale-resizeable so I will try that next!

215568.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

On 22/03/2017 at 1:27 AM, kcs123 said:

From where you get file #3 ?

When unpacked "GameData" is not file, it is directory (linux/dos term) or folder how it is called on windows OS.

You need #1 and #2 that have "GameData" directory that need to be copied into KSP game folder. Be sure that you don't copy GameData inside GameData folder in nested way. You only need one "GameData" directory in main KSP game directory.

Optionaly, instead of legacy parts, or on top of it you can use ZodiusInfuser reworked parts. You can find proper download links in this post:

It looks that you downloaded IR from some other source that contain additional directory that should not copy-pasted just like that, but I can't be more specific as I don't know what you have downloaded and from what source.

OK so I put files #1 and #2 and it worked. Ignored file #3. I now have to master the intricacies of space robotics arms :) Thank you!

On 24/03/2017 at 1:22 AM, Selrinn said:

I am also using GPP and everything IR is working except the sampler. What was your solution to fix this? 

I patched the sourcecode and compiled my own version of the surface sampler dll. 

The code changes are already in the main branch on github, but theres no updated dll yet. 

You can download my version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w13dbasuoshjpqj/IRSurfaceSampler.dll?dl=0

Drop it into <your path to ksp>\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Utility\Plugins

15 minutes ago, Kerbanej said:

OK so I put files #1 and #2 and it worked. Ignored file #3. I now have to master the intricacies of space robotics arms :) Thank you!

You are welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help.

But it will be good to tell where you get file #3, so other users can be warned about it and be less confused about install procedure in future.

5 hours ago, kcs123 said:

You are welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help.

But it will be good to tell where you get file #3, so other users can be warned about it and be less confused about install procedure in future.

I can't find where in my history atm. But I swear I have download it this week

ok so this is the file I downloaded:

https://codeload.github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/zip/2.0.10

I can't find how I found it in the first place

Edited by Kerbanej

I'm trying to use the RoboStrut Grappler with the RoboStrut Target and I can't figure out how it's supposed to work.  From previous posts I found I expected that if vessel A had a grappler and vessel B had a target that I could strut vessel A to vessel B.  Is that not correct?  If that isn't correct I'm not sure what the part is supposed to be used for so some tips would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, DoubleUU said:

I'm trying to use the RoboStrut Grappler with the RoboStrut Target and I can't figure out how it's supposed to work.  From previous posts I found I expected that if vessel A had a grappler and vessel B had a target that I could strut vessel A to vessel B.  Is that not correct?  If that isn't correct I'm not sure what the part is supposed to be used for so some tips would be appreciated.

I actually just inquired about this very thing in the KAS thread. The Robostruts are just like a quantum strut. Only works on the same vessel. This is useful for stabilizing flexible robotic arms while in transit or stabilizing a docked vehicle to another vehicle.

3 hours ago, memeconnoiseur said:

I have a problem where when I put a robotic part on two sides of a craft in mirror mode they move in opposite directions.

does anyone know how to fix this?

Taking the rotatron as an example, all you have to do is simply invert one part's rotational axis. You can achieve this by right clicking on the part and selecting the "Invert Axis" option.

I am trying to build an observatory (specifically, I am replicating the LBT in Arizona), but I am encountering some funkiness, post-launch, when I try to open the shutters or rotate the telescopes. Here is an annotated video displaying the phenomena:

When playing around in the editor, everything moves without error which leads me to believe that it's the physics simulation that's causing these issues, but I am not entirely sure. Am I missing something here?

Also, I was initially wanting to place the shutters on a gantry, but I cannot seem to find the parts. That is, I know that there is a gantry in the legacy pack, but I thought that the truss and railing parts were the reworked replacements for the legacy gantry. Was I wrong to presume this? If so, what purpose do these truss and rail parts serve? 

Edited by drZuko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.