1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

48 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

oh, by the way, I found a bug... (reproducible of course)

do this -> create a robotic arm with a center (controlling unit like HECS) and on both ends of this thing you place a tube a hinge (flat hinge) and another tube... fold these hinges to 180° and then place a docking port on each end-tube... now, depending on which docking port you dock the arm to your ship, one of the hinges will start to turn in the oposite direction

[ by the way... I'm NOT interested in constructing something here... that's purely for the reproduction of the bug (that's the easiest way to do it)... ]

Maybe someone is interested... in this... it was always a mystery for me, why some parts start behaving strange after docking a ship... maybe this bug is responsible for all of the things I saw in the past...

Rudolf

This is a known "Bug"

The issue is that when you dock one ship "the arm" to another ship. Which one of the command pods is now the actual "root part"?...

Thats the issue. Depending on where the new root part is you are likely trying to now control an IR component efectivly backwards some place. While you didn't actually build it backwards. After docking 2 ships together they become one big ship.

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

This is a known "Bug"

The issue is that when you dock one ship "the arm" to another ship. Which one of the command pods is now the actual "root part"?...

Thats the issue. Depending on where the new root part is you are likely trying to now control an IR component efectivly backwards some place. While you didn't actually build it backwards. After docking 2 ships together they become one big ship.

Oh... ok, that makes sense... and, are there any intentions to "fix" this "bug" ? ... because if not, then I'll do it myself... but I don't want to do things that others are already doing...

Rudolf

On 9/6/2017 at 7:01 AM, JhonWho said:

Hi guys,

first of all, thanks a lot for all your work, it gives the game an all new face.

I followed all instructions in page 93 about installation of IR for KSP 1.3. Deleted activestruts, and struts. The mod is in GameData folder, named MagicSmokeIndustries.

But when i launch (without crash, glad to you), i can't see moving parts in the VAB (i'm in sandbox mode), only the structural parts of IR.

I'm pretty sure i'm making something wrong, but after long hours of search, i can't find nothing...

BTW, i first installed the mod with CKAN. I tried a clean manual installation too, but the result is exactly the same.

Thanks a lot for your future help

JW

I was having a similar issue; the IR parts even appeared in the tech tree in already-researched nodes (career mode), but in the VAB those same parts wouldn't appear in search or under any part category. I uninstalled and did a fresh manual install, following the instructions on p93 exactly, this time including both legacy and rework parts (i.e. GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts contains the "Legacy" directory and three "Rework_*" directories).

The problem turned out to be a combination of 1. the part search function *will not* find any of the rework parts (!!!), 2. I only had the rework parts installed, and 3. I was using version 2.0.11 from CKAN instead of 2.0.12, which fixes a bug adding a "Robotics" parts category containing all the IR parts.

The rework parts still don't appear in parts search, which is pretty mysterious and annoying... but they at least show up in the "Robotics" category.

On 10/09/2017 at 5:57 PM, kingoftheinternet said:

I was having a similar issue; the IR parts even appeared in the tech tree in already-researched nodes (career mode), but in the VAB those same parts wouldn't appear in search or under any part category. I uninstalled and did a fresh manual install, following the instructions on p93 exactly, this time including both legacy and rework parts (i.e. GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts contains the "Legacy" directory and three "Rework_*" directories).

The problem turned out to be a combination of 1. the part search function *will not* find any of the rework parts (!!!), 2. I only had the rework parts installed, and 3. I was using version 2.0.11 from CKAN instead of 2.0.12, which fixes a bug adding a "Robotics" parts category containing all the IR parts.

The rework parts still don't appear in parts search, which is pretty mysterious and annoying... but they at least show up in the "Robotics" category.

Oh man, i love you, it works perfectly !

Thank you, very much

JW

On 9/2/2017 at 10:45 AM, HaydenTheKing said:

I'm using the extendotron stackable half, the part its attached to moves but the moving piston is invisible?

I believe i just dont quite understand how they work

When you put the part on your ship, it must be installed where there is only a small portion sticking out the front, the rest should be buried inside the ship somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Charon Moloch said:

Random question, is there any way to make rotors reset to a default position when not commanded to rotate in a direction?

Powered or free moving ?

For free moving parts it is not possible, but for powered parts it might work in combination with kOS script that will monitor part current state and move it to default position once you stop moving it trough action groups, UI or hot keys.

IR sequencer might also be able to do something similar, but I'm not 100% sure for it, didn't used sequencer in advanced way much.

Hello, I was wondering if it would be possible to make some type of custom independent suspension now using these IR parts. I noticed that in the part config of some parts, such as the extendatron, there are two settings: jointSpring and jointDamping. All I need is for these settings to be accessible through the part config menu in the editor (the menu that pops up when you right-click a part in the VAB or SPH). I am confused as to why these settings aren't accessible like that already.. was this a planned feature that just hasn't been fully implemented yet? But anyway, if possible, please allow us to change the jointSpring and jointDamping in-game on parts such as extendatron/foldatron/rotatron so we can make our own special suspension, that would be awesome :)

If you don't feel like implementing this feature yourself, please tell me (if possible) how I could do this myself if its not too difficult.

Another thing that might work good for suspension for example is an IR foldable hydraulic leg with an attachment point on the foot.

Edited by drobot432

Can someone explain this?

I modified IR a little bit so that I can see the axis (joint.axis and joint.secondaryAxis). What I see is that the hinges all seem to work the way I expected it. Axis in direction of the visual model and the secondaryAxis shows into the "up" direction when the hinge is in it's 0 position.

But the rotatrons... I don't understand them. Those axis seem to point anywhere (ok, that's not correct... not "anywhere" but 90° or 180° away from what I expect to see).

What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps this is a know issue, perhaps not, I didnt find anything on it so here goes:

KSP v1.3, the robotics parts work fine UNLESS I have a wheel attached to the robotic arm. Then everything bends out of shape as soon as the powered servos move. Unpowered seem to work but the powered ones are the ones giving me problems. Take the wheel off and the parts work again so it definitely has to do with them wheels. Type of wheel doesn't seem to affect anything. I tried putting the servos on the wrong way, same result. Are wheels regarded as some sort of control pod as far as IR is concerned? Any fix?

Edited by LN400
typo

26 minutes ago, LN400 said:

Perhaps this is a know issue, perhaps not, I didnt find anything on it so here goes:

KSP v1.3, the robotics parts work fine UNLESS I have a wheel attached to the robotic arm. Then everything bends out of shape as soon as the powered servos move. Unpowered seem to work but the powered ones are the ones giving me problems. Take the wheel off and the parts work again so it definitely has to do with them wheels. Type of wheel doesn't seem to affect anything. I tried putting the servos on the wrong way, same result. Are wheels regarded as some sort of control pod as far as IR is concerned? Any fix?

This is well-known glitch and the reason is forced autostrut on any stock wheel. You might get better results with Kerbal Foundries wheels.

Just now, whale_2 said:

This is well-known glitch and the reason is forced autostrut on any stock wheel. You might get better results with Kerbal Foundries wheels.

Thanks tons! It was driving me nuts. I'll have a look at them KFWs then.

I was wondering if this part can be movable in 1.3 ? It should be circled,  and spannermonkey brought me here.... 

-couldn't load in the pic,  cuz I'm using my phone to use the forum,  my bad-

https://imgur.com/gallery/Gr0Qq

Edited by Komander Faul

18 hours ago, funkcanna said:

Hi, I just downloaded IR, however I cannot see any parts.  Even the parts folder is empty.  Is this correct?

There are no parts in the Mod. You need to download the Legacy Part Pack or the IR Rework Parts. Look at Page 93, first post. There is an instruction for installing.

10 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

There are no parts in the Mod. You need to download the Legacy Part Pack or the IR Rework Parts. Look at Page 93, first post. There is an instruction for installing.

I too was wondering that and did so. Worked. HOWEVER, in my 1.2.2 modded game, the IR parts usually showed in their own tab in the VAB-SPH. Now, in my 1.3.x game, they are dropped amongst the other 'utilities' parts. What happened?

Hi, firstly just a quick thanks for the mod. I'm new to using mods on KSP, and wanted to advise that I found this mod via another mod's recommendation, that of Extraplanetary Launchpads. The point there being that it links to an old forum thread: 

Please can a mod go into this old thread and delete the second download link (I mean, delete both of them sure, because the curse one doesn't work, but specifically the link to kerbal stuff. It brought up a warning on Malwarebytes which I ignored, thinking it was just old so the SSL cert had run out or something like that. Instead it lead to a really dodgy website that locked up my internet browser and started spamming an audio message telling me to call a phone number due to viruses etc. Naturally I just closed the browser in Task Manager, deleted the exclusion and all was fine (after running a scan), but this could catch other forum members out if they are as stupid as me (or don't happen to have a Malwarebytes subscription). Sorry for writing it in this thread but I wasn't sure where else to put it! Thanks.

Edited by bonalste

48 minutes ago, bonalste said:

I found this mod via another mod's recommendation, that of Extraplanetary Launchpads. The point there being that it links to an old forum thread: 

Please can a mod go into this old thread and delete the second download link (I mean, delete both of them sure, because the curse one doesn't work, but specifically the link to kerbal stuff. It brought up a warning on Malwarebytes which I ignored, thinking it was just old so the SSL cert had run out or something like that. Instead it lead to a really dodgy website that locked up my internet browser and started spamming an audio message telling me to call a phone number due to viruses etc. Naturally I just closed the browser in Task Manager, deleted the exclusion and all was fine (after running a scan), but this could catch other forum members out if they are as stupid as me (or don't happen to have a Malwarebytes subscription). Sorry for writing it in this thread but I wasn't sure where else to put it! Thanks.

Thank you. I've fixed the link in Extraplanetary Launchpads to point to this thread instead and removed the bad links in the old thread.

When you find bad links like that, please use the Report post feature found in the upper right of the offending post. It is a much more certain way to get the moderator team's attention.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.