Devnote Tuesday: Thank you!

SQUAD

:0.0: That is a lot of game to cram into the last week of 1.0! You must be the most dedicated game designers in history.

You've actively sought out the advice of your community, encouraged thoughtful discussion, and have overall been incredibly responsive and respectful in the face of all the craziness.

I tip my helmet to you, SQUAD, for the inspiration an wonderful experience you've given us these last few years.

I hope you all get a nice vacation this May, you've certainly earned it!

(I can't wait to see where your company goes next!)

Funny coincidence--I'm defending my thesis (which involved a lot of simulation and programming) the same day you have your big release!

Hex? Like six?

What about this:

Bob (Roverdude): First off - it’s been awesome working with the folks at Squad on this release! .And it’s been a pretty hectic week, mostly around heat and thermal. .I’ve been working on the heat shields (including a modification to the shader so you can get scorch effects as the ablator is burned off), also some really cool heat management and auto-throttling logic for the drill and ISRU (so they will throttle down as heat nears the danger zone until they cool off). .Here’s a pic of the ablation shader, where you can see the heat shield as it goes through the ablation process:

In addition, knocked out several models including the new Xenon tank and the heat shields, and did a few tweaks to the service bays. .With resources pretty much in the can, I also got to do some work on the science system.

Lastly, we’re taking bets on how long before the community discovers the resources easter egg we snuck in for you (I’m betting two months post launch). One hint: .It’s a pretty large easter egg.

Double "."s? what's that?!?! HYPE!

Thanks for making this fantastic game! I certainly did not expect, when downloading the demo of that small title some youtuber made funny vidoes about, to find such a fascinating and brillant game. 1.0 sound fantastic, can't wait to get my hands on it! :D

I keep trying to timewarp to next monday... and yeah, like others said, KSP definitely was one of my best video game purchases in terms of dollars/hours spent gaming. Honestly, if anything new beyond this point would be paid-for DLC, I'd be perfectly alright with that.

Thank you so much SQUAD, been with KSP for years and it's honestly been one of the best purchases I've made in my gaming life. KSP's kept me going through very hard times over the past several years, and has provided endless hours of fun. Here's to another 4 years, hopefully!

Never had buying a game for 23 bucks been so worth it. I've been on a quite the break from KSP lately to focus more on life, but nevertheless hanging on to this magnificent community we have here has been just as fun and rewarding as it was from the very beginning!

When I bought Kerbal Space Program on July 4, 2013, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was young and inexperienced in the world of gaming, but being swept into the Kerbal universe I found myself simply craving more of what there was to be offered. I joined the forums, read the dev notes, and became good friends with fellow Kerbal Space Program players. This all has changed my way of life, overall attitude, and ideas in a way nothing else could. This game taught me mistakes aren't just great teachers, they're the only teachers that matter! I mess up bad every now and then, but I put on a smile, find out what I did wrong, and grow from those experiences.

Reading these developer notes every week for countless months now have made me realize the tremendous efforts that go into games such as these, as well a the people behind the process. I used to see people online as avatars and usernames, and the emotional acknowledgement of there existing a living, breathing, thinking, human being behind those screens had never clicked in my mind. You all changed that!

Finally, Kerbal Space Program has made me a person I couldn't be any more happy to be. The effects Kerbal Space Program and its community has had on me has sculpted who I am into someone who thinks and cares about others, someone who accepts failure, and someone who pursues their passion. What if I told you that before my time with KSP I was not interested in space? That hobby had died years earlier, and even during then I was not very into the subject. Now its back! Loving space and space travel has had the same life-improving, character-building experience, and it too has its roots in discovering Kerbal Space Program one slow summer afternoon.

Yes, this is a very deep post, but only because Kerbal Space Program has been such an emotional experience that stretches far, far beyond just being an ordinary video game. Squad, you are a blessing to me, all throughout the good times and the bad times. Thank you so, so, so much for committing four years of your lives to such a wonderful project! I love you all! :D

~Nathan (Thomas988)

When KSP first made the change from being free to being paid, I was reluctant to buy because of the industry history of abandoned indie projects. I decided to take a chance on the game becoming something close to what it is today, and it turned out to be the best gaming money I've ever spent. A heartfelt congratulations to Squad, past and present, on hitting this big milestone and thank you for your years of hard work turning a diamond in the rough into a real gem.

When you know there adding heat shields, this game got a whole lot harder. I just wish in the difficulty settings there could be a way to turn reentry heat on an off.

Even better, you'll get a reentry heat slider.

Lastly, I’ve dedicated a couple of days here to implement a feature which I think has been missing for far too long from the game, and I really didn’t want to leave it out of our 1.0 release. More on that one later though… I’m very happy I got the opportunity to implement it though. I feel it wouldn’t have been a proper release without it.

IT'S THE BOULDER. I JUST KNOW.

#savethemagicboulder

Anyways, just reading through your post HarvestR is getting me extremely excited. Revamping the old spaceplane parts! I really hope that means brushing up on the discolorations. I've been flinching at them for far too long now :). Thank YOU squad! And any of you Mods and Devs who haven't seen my tribute video yet, check my signature. It's my gift to you <3.

Thanks for all your hard effort! I've been playing for a year with my now 3-year old daughter and we both loved every launch. This was some of the best time I ever spent in a game, and I look forward to what you guys do next. I personally would welcome paid DLC extending some of the features like space stations, life support and colonization (even though amazing mods already exist to fill these niches).

<figure class="tmblr-full" data-orig-height="92" data-orig-width="480">Lastly, I’ve dedicated a couple of days here to implement a feature which I think has been missing for far too long from the game, and I really didn’t want to leave it out of our 1.0 release. More on that one later though… I’m very happy I got the opportunity to implement it though. I feel it wouldn’t have been a proper release without it.</figure>

I can't help but notice that barnyard tier has been suspiciously missing from any news... (fingers crossed)

IT'S THE BOULDER. I JUST KNOW.

#savethemagicboulder

Anyways, just reading through your post HarvestR is getting me extremely excited. Revamping the old spaceplane parts! I really hope that means brushing up on the discolorations. I've been flinching at them for far too long now :). Thank YOU squad! And any of you Mods and Devs who haven't seen my tribute video yet, check my signature. It's my gift to you <3.

Yeah, the inline plane cockpit really needed to be redone. It wasn't on the pics but who knows... Maybe they were from older builds?

It's so strange, knowing that KSP will have its 1.0 release so soon. I was with this game almost from the very start, and I never once gave up on it. Seeing something I've supported for so long come to a proper release like this is almost like seeing something I myself worked on for so long come to fruition. Even if my own contributions to the KSP community have been trivial at best (a few hundred screenshots, a silly Hitchhiker's Guide-style series of fan-lore, the very occasional YouTube video), I still feel like I've been a part of something big.

You may be thanking us for our support, SQUAD developers, but I'd like to extend the same thanks to you for making something so worth supporting.

I've been playing for bit less than one year, having accumulated about 300hs of my precious time, but I can clearly say with no doubt at all that this is the best game I've ever played in my more than 32 years of gaming experience. Thank you very much for all your effort, transparency and the way you have build such awesome game. I would like also to extend my compliments to all amazing modders that have contributed to making a great gaming experience even better! Thank you all very much and my best wishes in the future development of KSP and other games!

Yep, what so many others have said. Thank you HarvesteR for a truly unique game with the potential to educate without the player even realizing it, then spurring them on to even further education. I'm glad I could contribute in some small monetary measure to your success.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.