Harv's 'Long Overdue' Feature?

Akinesis

What does this have to do with newbies?

For one, it's something you'd notice when you launch your first rocket. You don't need to go anywhere or build anything special to see it, you just need to activate a rocket engine on the launchpad. It's also something most people might expect, seeing how the trench is already there they might expect smoke to flow through it like it does in real life.

Such things would look very different on the Mün (or any airless body) because the lack of atmosphere for the particles to hit would cause them to NOT billow into clouds...the dust would just stream out ballistically. So if Squad does try to use a billowing effect on airless workds, it will be seriously wrong.

They adapted it for that. :D

It's smoke on KErbin (no idea about eve/duna/laythe) and dust patterns on Minmus/Mun (not seen other bodies yet).

They adapted it for that. :D

It's smoke on KErbin (no idea about eve/duna/laythe) and dust patterns on Minmus/Mun (not seen other bodies yet).

It's definitely on Duna as well, so I imagine that the devs would have included it for all bodies. Syvos is currently trying to get to Dres on Twitch, so we may see if it extends to that body too.

My guess is a countdown clock. The lack of a "T -10 seconds... 9 ..." is a serious oversight...

In my opinion we always had that... Try counting down yourself and then press space. You can even stage it so that you can start engines a bit earlier and release the rocket at 0.

I'm hoping for multiplayer, it's the biggest missing feature, everything else is a bit "meh" to be kept a secret.

Bizarre it's lack of implimentation, the first time I launched in KSP I thought "this would be awesome to play with my friends"...get her done Squad ;)

*Flame shield up!!*

Why is this thread still going, harv already confirmed his secret feature were smoke effects when engine thrust hits the ground.

Thats hardly a "feature" and it took a dedicated 2 days?

The let-down is intense with this one...

So essentially 1.0 is a polished version of 0.25 with other people's mods added to vanilla and that's their "release"...?

I love KSP, but damn.

So essentially 1.0 is a polished version of 0.25 with other people's mods added to vanilla and that's their "release"...?

I love KSP, but damn.

How fast do you think software development goes? There is a reason we need to wait months for new versions of KSP, and this game's development is relatively fast compared to other early access titles. Frankly, i'm positively surprised.

I love KSP, but damn.

It's a nice touch, and may very well have taken two days. It looks pretty good.

1.0 adds most of the things the game was still missing, many of which were obviously available as mods. That doesn't make those features any less exciting to me.

1.0 adds most of the things the game was still missing, many of which were obviously available as mods. That doesn't make those features any less exciting to me.

Not to mention mods did add things missing to the game, so it's logical for 1.0 to be the catchup. Most stuff is original, tho. Even the karbonite based ISRU uses a new system and completely new parts. Spaceplane Plus is a bit of an outlier, but all the new parts are build by porkjet under contract too (or is he actually employed?). Aero will be quite different from FAR.

It's a nice touch, and may very well have taken two days. It looks pretty good.

But...

You can still only play by yourself.

I agree, Harv should have hacked an entire multiplayer system into the game in 2 days, 4 days before release.

[/sarcasm]

That's obviously not what I'm saying, it's been something they've been "looking at" for over a year.

Hacking together a multiplayer system? That sounds like something a crazy person would do *eye twitch*.

I think I was at this point at about 5-7 days:

As for the long overdue feature, I've no idea. I remember building in the VAB/SPH being a bit odd when I first attempted to go to space, perhaps some type of helpful "you're doing it wrong" thing perhaps? That's likely not a good idea though as the fail cycle is really fun when you figure out building, and *everyone* comes to different answers which is why MP is so interesting :)

I love KSP, but damn.

Really? To me, after the aero and heat, this is the coolest feature! :-)

Well, TBH, I guess this ends being a slap in the face of the people that fear having clouds in the game would kill performance. "now look how we can make smoke effects to show out at demand! And it doesn't fry the computers ! :D "

P.S. I know that localized smoke is not the same as a planetary cloud cover and I know about the scaling issues that can exist. Just pointing out that the core mechanic is the same ...

Well, TBH, I guess this ends being a slap in the face of the people that fear having clouds in the game would kill performance. "now look how we can make smoke effects to show out at demand! And it doesn't fry the computers ! :D "

P.S. I know that localized smoke is not the same as a planetary cloud cover and I know about the scaling issues that can exist. Just pointing out that the core mechanic is the same ...

Sure.... just like how getting x64 to work in linux means x64 should work in windows.

with other people's mods added to vanilla

Wait just a moment there. Are you implying that the Squad staff could be so unimaginative, dense or inept, that they couldn't have thought up of all the features other people assume to be "taken from" other mods? Granted, they do look as if they were taken from other people's work, but I don't see a sign that says they can't do that--it's their product, and nobody ordered those people to make those mods, and Squad/Harvester did say whatever you see on 1.0 is what they have previously envisioned since Day 1. So I think the accusation is flimsy.

Sure.... just like how getting x64 to work in linux means x64 should work in windows.

Hum, not sure what you mean with this. The x64 issue with windows vs linux is something completely outside of SQUAD ability to solve due to politics of two decades ago. Not seeing what that has to do with smoke particles vs clouds ... is it not that the clouds we're seeing are animated gifs that can't be scaled up ... right ? ;)