Harv's 'Long Overdue' Feature?

Akinesis

I've got it! A 'RadAlt' system (height above ground) in addition/toggleable to the height ASL counter that is displayed in the external craft view!

That could fit the bill--not hard to implement, very useful, AND more realistic than a 'barometer' altitude on planets with no atmosphere. I forget sometimes RadAlt isn't in stock, because I use KER and always have both altitudes on my HUD.

With all of the open source code on them, i'd be surprised if any half-competent programmer couldn't knock something decent up in 2 days.

Except something 'decent' won't neccesarily cut it, and it would still have to pass through QA.

Well, in case people don't know, the stock game already has Radio altimeters ... they are just tucked inside cockpits IVA and are displayed analogically :D But yeah, having them outside IVA would be of great help ;)

P.S.

Except something 'decent' won't neccesarily cut it, and it would still have to pass through QA.

Well, SQUAD already has code for clouds tucked around in their archives for quite a while, since they they already tried it and IIRC they looked decent enough ( there might still be some pics around, but as this was before the great forum burp ... ). If they just decided to resurrect that code the process might be quite fast .

Edited by r_rolo1

With all of the open source code on them, i'd be surprised if any half-competent programmer couldn't knock something decent up in 2 days.

Yup, this!

I could easily knock up cloud textures and config files from scratch and implement them to the relevant KSP bodies in a single day. But then the EVE plugin does the interfacing already, which I don't have to worry about. If both the interfacing and textures already existed in KSP code, which has been suggested now (and I was only vaguely aware of when I wrote the OP) or he used derivatives from the open-source codes then two days could be ample. And then if the QA on it went swimmingly then Harv would announce what he has announced.

But my bets are still on Radio Altimeter :)

Greetings!

Yes, this also got me interested. But Graphics are Graphics, and not a feature. It has to be something gameplay-ish.

A feature that is long overdue? Maybe the first-person-view for when you are on EVA? That would be interesting.

Id love 1st person view, would make that mod/hack that someone made allowing kerbals to hold and use weapons worthwhile :D

Anywaysm, for all seriousness, whatver it is, its not liek KSP doesnt have it already by default or in a mod. Stuff liek clouds (despite the communities obsession) works perfectly fine with EVE mod, its not perfect, there are bugs such as z-fighting at certain ranges/certain textures, but it works, looks nice, and is well WAY better then teh stock cloudless game. That said, keep it a mod, works fine, is perfectly ok, and doesnt force everyone to use it, especially those running computers constructed with ducktape and super glue.

Only thing im sad about is that squad hates procedural parts. procedural wings (even if they were 100% procedural but pick from presets style) would save so many resources, cut down on part counts, and get rid of that part spam in editor. Even if they arent procedural, why not make fuel tanks come in one part per size, and select a preset length from a few presets. Thatd make it so much less resource intensive, and still make it lego style (and perhaps modders or some debug cheat could enable fully procedural of any length).

Edited by panzer1b

Implementing rbray's clouds. Though I'm not getting my hopes up. Which is a lie my hopes are VERY UP.

Oh jeez scratch that. PARACHUTES!! Proper parachutes please. I'll take that over clouds.

Edited by Motokid600

Clouds are not a feature of a game.....a feature is something like life support or something interactive not clouds or any graphics enhancement

Why can't we have graphical features? I think people need to take a step back and reevaluate what they define as such.

Why can't we have graphical features? I think people need to take a step back and reevaluate what they define as such.

Because if someone working on the game says its a long over due feature and all they give us are clouds it will make Squad look like a joke for a dev team, "Heres your long over due feature i've been working on some crappy unity engine clouds for you to look at for a few minutes every time you launch!"

hi all

maybe the exploded view as it looks like they did some of that work with the fairings and service compartments

What are you talking about? There's already an exploded view in the game; I usually observe it about four seconds after liftoff.

:D

Ainamogel

Implementing rbray's clouds. Though I'm not getting my hopes up. Which is a lie my hopes are VERY UP.

Oh jeez scratch that. PARACHUTES!! Proper parachutes please. I'll take that over clouds.

Between those two I would totally bet for the parachutes thing.

But I'm still convinced about something like a "The end" mission in oposition to the new "Game Over" feature.

If you can lose the game, you should be able to win it either.

And it sounds like something he could design and code in a bunch of hours, and the kind of thing which without the game would have been felt incomplete.