What's a *.truecolor file?

CaptainKipard

Yeah, they're the small agency logo's which appear in the contracts previews and the VAB/SPH agencies side-tab listing

They are PNG's with a different extension as far as I can tell

If you make a PNG (64w x 40h) and then change the .png to .truecolour it seems to work just fine

As already said, they can be .PNGs and still work fine.

a8805a0540.jpg

What I'm interested in why a scaled version is needed in the first place? Since everything is loaded into memory at startup, why not they just scale the full-res version at run-time? (Whenever needed).

Edited by Beale

What I'm interested in why a scaled version is needed in the first place? Since everything is loaded into memory at startup, why not they just scale the full-res version at run-time? (Whenever needed).

Straight scaling the normal logo down to 64x40 can lead to a poorly identifiable logo

Well it did for the KOSMOS one anyway, so it had to be tweaked (cropped slightly before scaling with added elements for higher contrast) so it worked at the smaller size

Straight scaling the normal logo down to 64x40 can lead to a poorly identifiable logo

This may have something to do with differences in sampling/interpolation methods for up and downscaling images. According to this webpage:

- When scaling images up, bilinear sampling results in blocky images, while bicubic sampling gives a smoother result

- Conversely, when downscaling images, bicubic sampling gives harsh, hard pixels, so bilinear sampling is better

I suspect Unity may be defaulting to bicubic sampling regardless of up/down scaling, hence the reduction in quality of downsized logos and necessitating a separate scaled version to allow better control over quality.

Edited by sumghai
Fixed broken quote

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.