With 1.0 we will need a new concept of "Stock" for Spacecraft?

Daze

I was thinking about the toggleable reentry heat and consequently to the fact that spacecraft will differ from player to player. If i sue reentry heat my lander/CM will have an heatshield, if another guy don't use it his craft will be "un-shielded".

Now the main question is: with 1.0 "Stock" crafts should be able to reentry because it's how the game is delivered or not?

Imo, all the crafts that have [stock] should be able to survive reentry.

I'm talking about user submitted craft, i know that "Stock" refers to craft made by only stock parts, but if a particularly craft doesn't work because i.e. i have the reentry activated and that craft has no shield, it's still ""Stock""? (Formally, but I can not use it, just like if I have mod)

I think this is a valid question in regards to, specifically, Challenges.

What is "stock", as in, what is the intended way for the game to be played? If you start the game without modding, without changing any difficulty options, what will you get? What is "Stock KSP" as the developers see it?

The term 'stock' means made with parts that come with KSP, as opposed to modded craft which have parts that originate from mods.

Arguable; my stuff is all stock parts, but designed to fly in FAR. They don't work in stock aero, so I call 'em mod craft.

I think he is talking about the "demonstration" stock planes that comes with the game... I think...

The bundled crafts are stock, people also call hard challenges like Eve accent stock if no mods was used, same for uploaded crafts who has no moded parts. Stock+ mechjeb is another common one. However if you upload a craft its smart to remove the mechjeb module so people who don't use mechjeb can use it.

in 1.0 reentry heat will be customizable, however reentry heat also depend on how fast or hard you come in, especially spaceplanes has to be handled a bit carefully.

I suspect there will be default settings, and that will be "stock"

Sure you can disable the stock heating effects... but then your craft no longer works for "stock" challenges.

I think at its most basic level, a stock craft is simply a craft that anyone can put on their launchpad/runway, without DLing any mods...

Whether or not said craft still works right... doesn't change that you can load the craft in the first place.

Wow, I didn't think of this. Everyone kept asking for toggleable everything, but that takes away from the Vanillaness of the game. I guess what you could call vanilla or stock would be the "normal" settings for everything. Normal reentry, normal everything. If something was designed in easy or hard mode, they should specify that in the craft description or something. like "[stock-easy]CRAFTNAME" or [stock]Craftname or [stock-hard!!]craftname

. Everyone kept asking for toggleable everything, but that takes away from the Vanillaness of the game. I guess what you could call vanilla or stock would be the "normal" settings for everything. Normal reentry, normal everything.

I agree. While a lot of options are great for a playstyle or skill level. It makes it harder to convey that same experience to some one else.

I think it would be "it works if you have just downloaded ksp, started a new save, and not changed any settings other than graphics".

There is another point though. Now Jool-5 challenges would have to be updated for mining equipment, which would be equivalent to the Jool-5 kethane challenge.

I think it would be "it works if you have just downloaded ksp, started a new save, and not changed any settings other than graphics".

There is another point though. Now Jool-5 challenges would have to be updated for mining equipment, which would be equivalent to the Jool-5 kethane challenge.

So, basically exactly what I said 2 posts above. :P

I'm assuming that re-entry heat is default, it would just be silly for it not to be.

So assuming that, your crafts need a heat shield. Those crafts are stock. If you turn off re-entry heat, having a heat shield, your craft will still fly, you just don't HAVE to have it. So those crafts are still stock.

Now, you could turn off re-entry heat, and remove the heat shield, and sure those crafts are still stock. But you should point that out when you share it.

I could build a stock craft without fuel tanks, it only works if I turn on infinite fuel, I can share that craft it's still stock. But I should point out when I do it "requires infinite fuel", same thing with "requires no-re-entry heating"

The question if a spaceplane survives reentry is more a matter of piloting, isn't it? I can't really imagine what kind of plane would be 100% unable to survive a reentry, now where all structural parts/wings have a basic heat tolerancy.

I suspect there will be default settings, and that will be "stock"

^ this basically.

Stock will be default settings. If some challenge or whatever uses different settings, it will be "stock plus <whatever> setting set to <whatever>". (ex. "stock only, with re-entry heat off", or "stock, aero failures to max", etc)

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here.

I could build a stock craft without fuel tanks, it only works if I turn on infinite fuel, I can share that craft it's still stock. But I should point out when I do it "requires infinite fuel", same thing with "requires no-re-entry heating"

Exactly this

I had rather supposed that the level of re-entry heating will be different depending on the difficulty setting you chose for your save game, so that starting career on "easy" will have more forgiving re-entry heating than on "hard". On Monday we will find out if this is the case or not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.