Counting down the days: Day 4 - Resources

SQUAD

So what happens when you use a drill on a fuel tank...

Probably not much, it passes trough ground, one stupid thing to try is if it need to hit ground at all :)

- - - Updated - - -

Taking a closer look, most of these parts are original and not just taken from karbonite. Interesting.

I think the laser looking thing (guess its a scanner) is new, as well as the tank (most probably a tank). Those drills (they drill) got a .... facelift. Can't tell if the thing on that tank(s?) is some kind of equipment? The 'big techy thing' behind the RCS is also new, although it's not too hard to guess what it does.^^

edit: Wot, .... is censored in this forum? Come on you aren't even american. :P

The huge part on the tank look like the new fuel cell, or the large version of it, the small part together with the RSC is probably an scanner. the inline equipment behind the monoprop tank is the converter.

Yes, it could mean that they are free at 20:02, or it could mean that they need to have the vid rendered by 20:00, or who knows? Any guesses?

20:02? You mean...

looks at her analog clock

...Around 8?

runs before people notice the pun

The huge part on the tank look like the new fuel cell, or the large version of it, the small part together with the RSC is probably an scanner. the inline equipment behind the monoprop tank is the converter.

A bigger radial fuelcell makes indeed sense with the new mining equipment.

FYI that drill is a completely new PorkPart ;)

Oh yeah, he does know how to make great looking stuff, too.

Edited by Temeter

So, one thing that I've been wondering about the resource scheme: My understanding is that the devs have been pretty tight-lipped about whether or not the resources will be depletable under any circuimstances, but RoverDude has mentioned that stock resources would be "More like Karbonite than Kethane." If asteroids are not depletable, what's to stop you from dragging around a class A asteroid as sort of a bottomless fuel tank? I can't be the first one to think of this.

So, one thing that I've been wondering about the resource scheme: My understanding is that the devs have been pretty tight-lipped about whether or not the resources will be depletable under any circuimstances, but RoverDude has mentioned that stock resources would be "More like Karbonite than Kethane." If asteroids are not depletable, what's to stop you from dragging around a class A asteroid as sort of a bottomless fuel tank? I can't be the first one to think of this.

I've not tried either of those mods, but I assume there's a reason that people enjoy playing with Karbonite. So there's a reason they don't just haul around a class A asteroid as a bottomless fuel tank. Presumably the same (or a similar) reason will apply in 1.0.

There was a thread here a few days ago discussing this.

Happy landings!

a few things:

1) the cost and difficulty in retrieving the asteroid in the first place

2) the frequency of small asteroids

3) the time/energy/other requirements to mine/refine the ore

4) The added mass of carrying around an asteroid

5) the need to return the asteroid to a dockable location/condition at the end of missions if you intend to reuse it

I can see how carrying an asteroid around can speed up some transfers by allowing more burns, but unless you are visiting lots of planets without landing, I am not sure that you save much over just mining on the surface of the various bodies you visit.

Resources were not depletable in Karbonite, but they were depletable in asteroids in the Asteroids Resources Mod, an expansion of the Karbonite mod. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, if RoverDude is using his own mods as basis.

I've not tried either of those mods, but I assume there's a reason that people enjoy playing with Karbonite. So there's a reason they don't just haul around a class A asteroid as a bottomless fuel tank. Presumably the same (or a similar) reason will apply in 1.0.

Nothing. If you want to do so, feel free, KSP is a lego-building space sim. There is no one to cheat against, no scores to compare, no playstyles too lazy or hardcore, and no secret unlocks to slip past. I could use ALT-F12 to do the same, or just launch a bunch of absurdly large fuel tankers and send them on their merry way. Or I could tow a giant asteroid behind me and laugh all day long. KSP is great that way.

I personally hope they use infinite resource fields - my KSP saves last a while, and while I doubt I could ever truly exhaust a solar system enough to have to start a save over to continue playin, I'd rather not deplete the few instances where I use that mechanic. Karbonite is great for this, (although I still want to send some love over to Kethane, that was a fun one too.) Some people favor the depletion concept, and I respect that, but count me as part of the playerbase that just wants to explore the concept, not the hard math.

(Much in the same way I want to enjoy using LVN's, fusion reactors, and SSTO's without having to get all nitpicky on geopolitics, environmental hazards, or engineering challenges).

Super pumped for 1.0, and for this change in particular - a basic means of ISRU was always something I felt needed to be in the core game. Thus I, like many, am going to go mod-free for the first bit to see how all the changes come together. That should keep me busy and entertained until my favorite mods get the 1.0 update! (I can't help using mods, the people at SQUAD and the ideas they implemented are great, but the modding community is so vibrant it's hard to ignore...)

Best. 30$. ($CAN). Ever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.