I want to believe

Rastaman

Reentry heat and aerodynamics? Great. Ker-dames? Necessary. Resources? Finally. Now the most important thing for me on Monday is to go to the map and see that Eeloo is not there anymore. Because it is in orbit around an as yet undiscovered planet where it belongs. And maybe there's even more beyond. With resources, an outer system is all the more doable now. I don't care how long it takes to get there.

Who's bloody with me?

I agree that some new planets would be cool, but not so sure I want them to be distant gas giants. I feel bad about sending crew on 20 year journeys xD

Personally I'd prefer another terrestrial world, just inside or outside Kerbin's orbit, either desert or tundra, with a bit of vegetation. Something like the old sci-fi visions of Venus as a jungle world, or Mars as a covered in red vegetation and rivers. Might mean nudging Duna or Eve around, but would be nice to have somewhere nearby that spaceplanes would be viable on :) No reason it couldn't have a couple of moons of its own either.

But I wouldn't blame the devs for deciding they want the stock game to be lightweight. For now I'll pin my hopes on Kopernicus being updated for 1.0 fairly quickly, so's modders can add this sort of thing for those who want it :)

I don't think Squad's going to do this... they'd have to spend a massive amount of work on it to make people stop calling them out on a "half-assed ripoff of Outer Planets Mod" (regardless of how dumb that statement would be).

Making new celestial bodies takes a lot of work. Way too much work to not advertise with the feature. Yeah, you can get by with not mentioning little things like new UI elements or the like... but a new gas giant with multiple moons? That's a headline feature for an entire patch, not a last minute snuck-it-in surprise!

Because it is in orbit around an as yet undiscovered planet where it belongs. And maybe there's even more beyond.

If any new planets are added, I hope there is something Eeloo like beyond, because an iceball in an eccentric orbit *does* belong there.

Actually, depending on how you do it, adding a planet is quite easy, and adding 5-6 wouldn't take longer than a couple of days. I managed to add one in like 2 days with Kopernicus, and stock planets are almost the same in term of workload. Mind you, I needed to actually learn Kopernicus to do it, so it took me longer than it would take a dev that has already done it.

If they're going to add a new planet, it should be carefully designed, which isn't possible in two days. It's mostly artistic work to make sure the planet fits the theme well and looks good.

Outer planets mod looks pretty awesome, why not make it stock? They could hire the dev like they've done in the past with other mods.

Maybe we don't need two ice giants though, one would be enough.

Either way, I'm sure this is something they'll look into post 1.0.

If any new planets are added, I hope there is something Eeloo like beyond, because an iceball in an eccentric orbit *does* belong there.

Agree 100%. I am in favor of keeping Eeloo where it is, or at the VERY least having it still be the outermost planetessimal that it is possible to visit. I mean, c'mon, I still haven't been there yet!

Why 2 days for gas giant?... We are talking of 4 years of development. Who said, we know everything about the development process. I am pretty sure, something will be in store for us, that we did not know so far.

Something like the old sci-fi visions of Venus as a jungle world, or Mars as a covered in red vegetation and rivers.

You know, now that you mention it, I'd love to see a mod that changes the planets to mimic the style of turn-of-the-century science fiction: replace Eve with a lush sci-fi Venus covered in primeval jungle and swamp; replace Duna with an ancient sci-fi Mars covered in desert, crumbling canals, and the ruins of dead civlizations; treat asteroids as the shattered remains of a missing fifth planet. Of course this would be best used alongside a steampunk spaceship parts mod.

You know, now that you mention it, I'd love to see a mod that changes the planets to mimic the style of turn-of-the-century science fiction: replace Eve with a lush sci-fi Venus covered in primeval jungle and swamp; replace Duna with an ancient sci-fi Mars covered in desert, crumbling canals, and the ruins of dead civlizations; treat asteroids as the shattered remains of a missing fifth planet. Of course this would be best used alongside a steampunk spaceship parts mod.

Now you're talking! That would be worth having a separate, dedicated install just for a 'classic sci-fi' mod.

I have what should be a thriving economic build up in the Jool system. Just getting fuel out there is a pain.

Laythe has a large base and I have a large station as a transfer point nearby. I have the parts of small stations at each of the moons. Again, though, that fuel is a problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.