What did you think of the movie?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

I am off next Friday and I get to do one of my favorite things. I get to go to the movies at 9:00AM and eat popcorn and snowcaps before lunch. The fact that I have off from work and the martian comes out next friday is simply fate. I might just have to stay there all day and watch the movie 5 times. It also gets me really excited that I have not seen one bad review for this movie. Every single review praises it. The only bad opinion I heard was that it was too optimistic. Which is exactly what many critiques of the book where so.......HYPE!!!

Real conversation I had with my wife yesterday:

"We need to get a sitter so we can go out for dinner and a movie next weekend."

"Why?"

"Because Rich Purnell is a steely-eyed missile man."

"Oh, is that next weekend? Let me call Natalie, I think she's available."

"Why?"

That's true love! Seriously I've never met your wife but based in that interaction you would be a fool to let her go lol.

I live in New Zealand. Why is this important?

BECAUSE THE MARTIAN IS OUT TOMORROW! CLEAR THE TRACK CAUSE THIS HYPE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES!

In all seriousness, I have organised a rather large group of friends to go in to the nearest movie theatres Premier of the Martian.

Also...I can't hear the word Botanist without feeling excitement, which kinda sucks seeing as we are doing Botany at school ATM.

"Why?"

So did you get a sitter? Did Natalie pull through? Goddammit man this is important!

So did you get a sitter? Did Natalie pull through? Goddammit man this is important!

:D Yes, we are on for Friday night. (Although not Natalie, they're out of town, so we have to pay for a sitter.) Hitting the matinee right after work at 5:00 then doing dinner afterwards.

I read the book and it was pretty good. I didn't vote because I have not seen the movie so I have no opinion on the actor chosen or how the book translates to the movie. I will have a better idea after I see the movie, but I will not be going to the theater to see it. I will wait for it on DVD or one of the pay services like HBO or Netflix.

Just got back from the Martian. No spoilers...But Matt Damon nails Watney.

Also, I only had 1-2 Minor flaws personally...But no spoilers...

Overall, My favourite movie...possibly ever...

Honestly this is a spoiler thread. You can use the spoiler option. Here is how to make a spoiler tag just in case you don't know how. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88368-How-to-make-Spoilers Again this is a spoiler thread. If you read the book how bad are the spoilers?

Honestly this is a spoiler thread. You can use the spoiler option. Here is how to make a spoiler tag just in case you don't know how. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88368-How-to-make-Spoilers Again this is a spoiler thread. If you read the book how bad are the spoilers?
yea, but the movie REALLY needs to be experienced first...but if you must know...my only major issue was
Watney 'Iron Mans' it part of the way to the Hermes...not all the way...but still.... other than that...it was Perfect.

yea, but the movie REALLY needs to be experienced first...but if you must know...my only major issue was
Watney 'Iron Mans' it part of the way to the Hermes...not all the way...but still.... other than that...it was Perfect.

Interesting! I mean that's a spoiler that isn't going to change perspective of watching the movie especially if you read the book. I need to to know!! Please tell me! Does Lewis make a call down to Houston saying "rich purnell is a steely eyed middle man!" Use a spoiler tag. That needs to be in the movie.

Interesting! I mean that's a spoiler that isn't going to change perspective of watching the movie especially if you read the book. I need to to know!! Please tell me! Does Lewis make a call down to Houston saying "rich purnell is a steely eyed middle man!" Use a spoiler tag. That needs to be in the movie.

Yup, but its a Text based message...but yes...Rich Purnell is a Steely Eyed Missile Man.

Now, for you people who don't want it spoiled.... HAHAHA YOU STILL HAVE A DAY TO WAIT! NZ FTW!

3aYaBkD.jpg

The GF and I watched it last night (I live in the Philippines, so we get to see it two days earlier vs. the US release). I have to say that I love the book more (of course right?), but as a fan of Science Fiction films, especially ones based on "real science", I think this was a lot better than Gravity and Interstellar. I give it a 9/10. And yes, Matt Damon played the Mark Watney character excellently.

Edited by rodion_herrera

NANANANANANANANALALALALALALALADADADADADADADA!!! Not listening!!!

In Germany it only launches next Wednesday at the earliest - I am placing my bet (of 4,50 €) on a sneak preview today, but the odds are not as good as I first thought, going anyway and hoping for the best.

(Yes, I read the book, but I do not want to go see the movie with any positive or negative prejudices. :wink: )

http://i.imgur.com/3aYaBkD.jpg

The GF and I watched it last night (I live in the Philippines, so we get to see it two days earlier vs. the US release). I have to say that I love the book more (of course right?), but as a fan of Science Fiction films, especially ones based on "real science", I think this was a lot better than Gravity and Interstellar. I give it a 9/10. And yes, Matt Damon played the Mark Watney character excellently.

Cool. I am not going to see it in the cinema, as I am waiting for it to appear on most of the Internet based video services. Already read the book, but still excited about the movie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.