What did you think of the movie?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

Just got back from the 8:00 PM showing, It wasn't bad, followed the book fairly closely. There where a few parts where the glazed over events, shortened or omitted others. But for the most part it wasn't too bad for a Hollywood translation.

One thing that bothered me was that they re-wrote the

I mean seriously, what difference did it make for the captain to go EVA to catch Watney. And having him cut the glove was rather stupid too.

Just got back from the 8:00 PM showing, It wasn't bad, followed the book fairly closely. There where a few parts where the glazed over events, shortened or omitted others. But for the most part it wasn't too bad for a Hollywood translation.

One thing that bothered me was that they re-wrote the

I mean seriously, what difference did it make for the captain to go EVA to catch Watney. And having him cut the glove was rather stupid too.

Well, Hollywood.

I think the thing that made it stand out so much was the fact that they stuck to the rest of the book so well. It not like the climax needed more, maybe just to be cut and shot better. Thinking about it there was other

they transferred much of the friendship between Beck and Watney to Martinez

Just finished watching it a moment ago( reporting from my phone) it is as awesome as I assumed , but I am a bit disappointed that
they cut the part where he messed up pathfinder and have to deal with the dust storm himself

I've just got home from seeing it, and in addition to the bit mentioned above, the main thing that disappointed me was that

they cut out the big dust storm and rover accident before he gets to Schiaparelli.

Other than that, I liked it a lot..

Sorry for tempting you, but the movie is really something we can't not share. XP

I am going to give it a few more days before people starting to nit pick it (no offence though - we nit pick it because we love it, and it gives us so much chance for discussion).

Sorry for tempting you, but the movie is really something we can't not share. XP

I am going to give it a few more days before people starting to nit pick it (no offence though - we nit pick it because we love it, and it gives us so much chance for discussion).

I don't get it, most of us read the book.

So why are we so concerned with spoilers.

I mean we already know that soylent green is Aerith.

Ok so this a spoiler thread o don't have a problem with spoilers being posted. However for people who might not want to know what happens use the spoiler tags. It's easy to do and it allows people who want to see spoilers and people don't don't have to see them. I am gonna make this a rule for about 2 weeks. I think that's a fair amount of time to give people to see the movie. But yes this thread most people read the books and the ending is the only really spoiler. Still use the tags it's not a big deal.

Update: Hope I won't give away too many spoilers.

Stunning 3D landscapes. Great humour. And a solid story.

This isn't science fiction. This is science future.

Woop woop woop

There really does seem to be a trend towards realistic, near-future science fiction... we had Gravity, Interstellar, and now The Martian. I hope it continues :D

I'm disappointed in nothing. Fantastic film, good edits from the book, better ending. (The microgravity movements around the Hermes need a bit of work, but not every movie can use the vomit comet like Apollo 13.) I want to live in Ridley Scott's Houston. (The real Houston is a bit more like Ridley Scott's Los Angeles.)

And

Rejoice! Sean Bean lived!

I figured he was a goner once I realized he'd be at the Council meeting.

he won't live, but then again who does.

Alright, for those who have seen it... wifey and I want to go, but she's got an unusual trigger problem that the MPAA doesn't even care about.

...does anybody puke in the film?

...does anybody puke in the film?

No. I was surprised at that, I expected at least one vomit-inside-helmet moment.

However, I will add that there ARE some serious blood/wound moments in the movie, if that is an issue.

Saw The Martian tonight. Decent movie. Glossed over some science stuff we can't do yet, but nothing crazy.

My only major complaint is that

every space movie has the crew telling mission control to .... themselves, they're doing whatever they like

Saw The Martian tonight. Decent movie. Glossed over some science stuff we can't do yet, but nothing crazy.

My only major complaint is that

every space movie has the crew telling mission control to .... themselves, they're doing whatever they like

In this case it is true to the novel though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.