What did you think of the movie?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

I just finished this book the other day, and greatly enjoyed it. I'm also very excited to hear that Scott will be directing, but equally disappointed to hear about Damon. He's a good actor when playing his strengths, but I don't see cocky and cynical astronaut being one of them.

In fact, one of the best examples of how a poorly-selected lead actor can ruin what otherwise would have been an amazing film is another Scott work, Kingdom of Heaven. Everything about that film was amazing, from the music to the cinematography to the support actors--really world-class, once-in-a-generation epic material. But then Orlando Bloom would open his mouth and suddenly each scene became impossible to take seriously. His "right before the big battle" pep speech in particular goes down as one of the most truely painful dialogues in quality AAA film-making.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm really worried that the same thing is going to happen here. Take a talented guy like Sean Patrick Flanery with his wise-guy persona and let him flourish under Scott's direction. I'll still see the film, but between the above and the quality of Damon's contributions to Interstellar, I'm going to try very hard not to let my excitement drive my expectations.

EDIT: Just saw that someone had suggested Fillion on the older thread. I'd see that!

Nathan Fillion would be a great choice! I think Matt Damon is the safe choice. I think he will do a great job, but I don't think their will be anything particularly special about it. They missed an opportunity to pick people who are out of the box. I think it would have been a great opportunity to take Robert Downey Jr. off the avengers train for a little while. That not out of the box I know. They could have done good with an unknown or a new up and comer. A comedic actor who is good at drama might have been a good choice. Karl Urban is the every man type guy. Like I said I don't think Matt Damon is gonna be bad as Watney. I just don't think he is gonna bring anything special to the part.

This can be done in stock! the ring wont rotate without infernal robotics but this CAN be made in stock, I'm just too lazy to do it.

Why on Earth in Milkyway are people insisting that these rings need to turn? With all the life support, it is going to be a huge task to do all the plumbing, and a technical risk to boot. Just rotate the ship and be done with it. You get free stability as a bonus.

The only issue would be the solar panels, but having those track is a lot easier than build carousel connections for all the things that are needed. Not to mention the problems that will arise when the thing suddenly gets stuck or loses power (putting torque forces on the rest of the ship).

Edited by Camacha

First pictures from set and honestly I think they look amazing! However.......I know its set in the future but everything looks slightly too futuristic. What do you think?

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/05/23/the-martian-04.jpg

I don't like the helmet design, it goes way to far above the astronauts head. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the movie.

Why on Earth in Milkyway are people insisting that these rings need to turn? With all the life support, it is going to be a huge task to do all the plumbing, and a technical risk to boot. Just rotate the ship and be done with it. You get free stability as a bonus.

The only issue would be the solar panels, but having those track is a lot easier than build carousel connections for all the things that are needed. Not to mention the problems that will arise when the thing suddenly gets stuck or loses power (putting torque forces on the rest of the ship).

I agree 100% in the book the whole ship rotated. It was mentioned in the book a few times. I guess they learned from Interstellar, although its realistic, it can be nauseating for the audience.

However the more I look at the picture the more I think that whole thing might not be the ship. I said before it looks like the harvested the ISS. They might have just done that but instead just made it a refueling station for the Hermes. I mean that ship just looks too large! Am I wrong? Its beautiful don't get me wrong. But it still looks too big. The more I look at it, it looks like it just might be docked with the refueling station. Could you imagine the maneuvering scenes at the end of the book with that thing? It would probably look cool but unlikely.

Anyone else think that the Hermes is just docked? Although I see engines all the way at the end? But I also see something docking with the ship in the background. What do you all think?

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of which what's with the solar panels on a nuclear powered ship?

Again I think that its just docked to a refueling station.

Speaking of which what's with the solar panels on a nuclear powered ship?

Backup. You would not want to freeze to death in utter darkness while your engineer try to get the reactor running again after an emergency shutdown.

And it does not look docked to me, at least there are enough panels for a ship and a station, no?

Also I think the weight of the ship would have to be evenly distributed infront and behind the ring part to avoid offsetting its barycenter?

Drive section with reactor at the aft - storage for fuel, air, water, stuff in those "balloon tanks" - more storage for supplies - ring-habitat section - another (probably secondary) support module - technical/sciency/communication stuff - command module/cockpit - weird thingy in front, hm ... emergency: inflatable shelter, aerobraking shield, sun screen for solar storm or maybe transfer vehicle to the Mars Decend Vehicle, seeing no thrusters though ...

Edited by KerbMav

Not now I pictured it but not really caring at this point, from the opening sentence to the final words that was awesome.

Edit:

Ok after watching it again we can deduce that the hemes design in the first trailer is the actual design, it looks like instead of NASA finding out that he is stuck and not telling the crew they find out and tell NASA, there are two different types of space suits (I'm guessing the on in the promotional image is the flight suit) and they are staying very true to the book. Is there anything else of worth that I missed?

Oh and I love the interieor design on the MAV by the way.

Edited by Dodgey

Not now I pictured it but not really caring at this point, from the opening sentence to the final words that was awesome.

Edit:

Ok after watching it again we can deduce that the hemes design in the first trailer is the actual design, it looks like instead of NASA finding out that he is stuck and not telling the crew they find out and tell NASA, there are two different types of space suits (I'm guessing the on in the promotional image is the flight suit) and they are staying very true to the book. Is there anything else of worth that I missed?

That could be the way they cobbled together the trailer. That is too interesting a plot point to just tell them he's alive. However the trailer does have me very excited. Besides the plot changes the one thing we can all agree about is the infrastructure looks gorgeous. I think they will be pretty true to the book. All I care about is Lewis calling Rich Purnell a steely eyed missle man.

I don't like the helmet design, it goes way to far above the astronauts head. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the movie.
One of the problems they have in movies and TV with accurate helmets is not being able to see the actor's faces. So they combat the problem in various ways, like putting lights inside. Big helmet window is another concession to the problem. I cringe every time I see lights inside helmets - I wonder if the actors can see out? :huh: Reflections!

Literally my only problem with this is that external rotating centrifuges are pretty impractical for long term missions and the windows in the centrifuge look much too big to be safe on the front of a ship. Otherwise... looks like I may be getting a new favourite space film.

Literally my only problem with this is that external rotating centrifuges are pretty impractical for long term missions and the windows in the centrifuge look much too big to be safe on the front of a ship. Otherwise... looks like I may be getting a new favourite space film.

I agree wholeheartedly! However it looks gorgeous!! And that kind bothers me because the book was all about realism. So I wish I hated it more. But it looks so beautiful I can't imagine not liking it.

Also Benjee you did and amazing job with endurance start working on the Hermes lol.

Edited by sp1989

Edit:

They probably chopped up the footage to make the trailer more dramatic. Not telling the crew was a pretty big point in the book so they have to leave that part in.

Anyone else think that it would be funny that if watney finds out the crew doesn't know he's alive he sends the message to Hermes? That would be funny. NASA telling him what to do and he rebels by doing that. I could accept that plot change.

I almost picked this book up awhile back but instead read the complete Red, Green, Blue Mars trilogy and got burned out on Mars for a bit. Totally forgot about it until just seeing the trailer for the first time. And I'm like.. wow.. is this going to be the hardest, most realistic space sci/fi ever DONE?!? I know the book is super-hard sci/fi and it almost..almost looks like they are staying true to what I have read about it. Are we seriously slowly entering an age of increasingly realistic space sci/fi?? What is happening????

AHAHHAAHAHAHHHH I don't believe any of this! I think I'm in a parallel universe.

I love the spacecraft, omg. It actually shares a basic design aesthetic with an old Duna cruiser I built forever ago only it looks a thousand times better.

Weird seeing actors reappearing from Interstellar.

To those that read the book: I found a full copy online while searching for info. I feel guilty reading it and haven't yet for I know the guy self-published and I have way too much respect for that. Was it released free or something? Or did I stumble onto some pirate site? It looks very official, no sketchness.

Edited by autumnalequinox
spelling

I was picturing a more classic white space suit, I justt doesn't look bulky enough.

Remember, Watney makes a comment in the book about the new spacesuits being less bulky than the Apollo era suits... so I'm cool with it. The Helmet.... acceptable for artistic license, although I do remember a section of the book where PR want a shot of his face, but this being essentially impossible because Pathfinder is outside and the faceplate would make it difficult to see him. On the other hand, as movies are visual, including facial expression, I can accept we need to see Matt Damons face for dramatic purposes. Also, Star and everything.

Edited by Tourist
spelling

This trailer got released yesterday.

From various reference pics, I've come to the conclusion that the Hermes, is in fact, solar powered. This is a bit disappointed, but the trailer was fantastic. Loved the part where he said 'I'm going to science the .... out of it."

I almost picked this book up awhile back but instead read the complete Red, Green, Blue Mars trilogy and got burned out on Mars for a bit. Totally forgot about it until just seeing the trailer for the first time. And I'm like.. wow.. is this going to be the hardest, most realistic space sci/fi ever DONE?!? I know the book is super-hard sci/fi and it almost..almost looks like they are staying true to what I have read about it. Are we seriously slowly entering an age of increasingly realistic space sci/fi?? What is happening????

AHAHHAAHAHAHHHH I don't believe any of this! I think I'm in a parallel universe.

I love the spacecraft, omg. It actually shares a basic design aesthetic with an old Duna cruiser I built forever ago only it looks a thousand times better.

Weird seeing actors reappearing from Interstellar.

To those that read the book: I found a full copy online while searching for info. I feel guilty reading it and haven't yet for I know the guy self-published and I have way too much respect for that. Was it released free or something? Or did I stumble onto some pirate site? It looks very official, no sketchness.

Pick it up at your local library, try to get it before the movie craze sets in and people start checking it out.

Remember, Whatney makes a comment in the book about the new spacesuits being less bulky than the Apollo era suits... so I'm cool with it. The Helmet.... acceptable for artistic license, although I do remember a section of the book where PR want a shot of his face, but this being essentially impossible because Pathfinder is outside and the faceplate would make it difficult to see him. On the other hand, as movies are visual, including facial expression, I can accept we need to see Matt Damons face for dramatic purposes. Also, Star and everything.

NASA has actually been looking into more slim spacesuits for years now. It is quite clear that the current generation is more a matter of the best we've got, rather than the best for the situation. I know NASA has been looking at both skin tight suits that provide mechanical pressure rather than air pressure to the body, and more comfortable excursion suits for Mars exploration.

I would actually consider it quite ridiculous if movies portrayed Martian exploration with current generation suits, or even Lunar suits. Those are already outdated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.